Lauri, I assume you are talking about the overnight trip offered through Regent. I did this in 2005, along with Marcie, and just loved it. I looked at the itinerary, and unfortunately they are no longer doing what was one of my favorite parts, a jet boat thing www.shotoverjet.com that was absolutely thrilling! It was not rushed at all, and we visited every single thing on this itinerary, except we did it in reverse and ended in Milford Sound. We didn't spend a lot of time in Dunedin though. Queenstown is absolutely gorgeous, and we had perfect weather, dinner was at a local restaurant on the water, and there was free time there as well. I don't recall that being on the bus was unbearable, because the scenery along the way was so beautiful.
I believe I did this almost at Ngaire's insistence at the time, so I'm sure she recommends it. I would think that if someone in the group wants to take the time to do some research, you might be able to find a private tour that would be a whole lot less expensive than the one Regent is offering, much like some of us have done in various cities on the BK cruises.
🚢 Cruise with your favorite Keene Luxury Travel Staff Member! 💰 5% KLT Reward plus Shipboard Credit available (amount varies per voyage)! 💲 Offering Enhanced KLT Rewards on voyages hosted by Ngaire & Clay!