Luxury Cruise Talk Logo

Keene Luxury Travel
800-856-1155 · 972-701-9292
Join Our Mailing List · Email us

Who's Online Now
5 registered members (Ngaire, Jim B, seadog, DennisK, 1 invisible), 986 guests
Newest Members
DennisK, SuprDave, BarbD, johnsmithpmt, Juliehoover(41381 Registered Users)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Crystal Mahler #249314 12/04/17 09:25 AM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
Quick update on the new Crystal Mahler.

FOOD ISSUES
Wonderful coffee/bistro that has a open buffet snack area all day and serves light lunches and dinners. Great food. The fruit on the buffet was exotic fruit, berries not just melons, plentiful and all perfectly ripe. Plus good selection of drinks.

Waterside restaurant for breakfast, lunch and dinner. We ate one lunch that was a buffet. Unbelievably good. Huge selection and everything was fantastic. The salad bar had everything you could think of and all high quality fresh ingredients. They always have at a meat, poultry, fish and pasta dish on every buffet. Beautiful vegetables and starches for sides. Beautiful desserts and again outstanding fruit.

Self service coffee/ tea area with wine and soft drinks as well and small snacks.

CABINS
Primary category
KING bed not the smaller ones you see on ships
Feels Very spacious
Nice size walk in closet with drawers
Nice roomy bathroom with double sinks, drawers in vanity and shelf at base of mirror for to s of storage.
Counter space could be better and no balconies.

Pettite suites category
Same basic cabin with these differences
Tiny bathroom
Sliding door closet with hanging and shelves
Real lack of drawers and storage space
Much smaller no spacious feel.

PUBLIC AREAS
Comfotable and classy interior.
Indoor swimming pool
Spa area with trainer and trained spa person
Lounge very light and bright.
Elevator and circular stairway in the center of the lobby not crazy about that, it feels cramped.

OVERALL IMPRESSION
Definitely a step up on the river boat scene particularly in the food department. Best ratios in staff to guests and space per guest. Of course all inclusive. Did not get to see the Crystal Bus hope to see that when we visit the Crystal Mozart. Always hard to tell until you go on a cruise but looks great.

Re: Crystal Mahler [Re: Ngaire] #249315 12/04/17 09:22 PM
petlover Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Sounds so exciting Ngaire, you're whetting my appetite. It sounds like I'm glad we chose a suite in the more spacious primary category for RHINE. Thanks for sharing all this great information.

Marcie

Re: Crystal Mahler [Re: Ngaire] #249320 12/05/17 03:49 PM
cruisinfanatic Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Me too what Marcie said. Did you get any pictures?

JoAnn
Re: Crystal Mahler [Re: Ngaire] #249321 12/05/17 05:22 PM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
Yes, but the ship was 100% full so we could only peak in while the rooms were being cleaned. We did get some of the coffee corner, buffet, public areas. Hard to post from here but will post when we get back.

Tomorrow we see the Mozart.

Re: Crystal Mahler [Re: Ngaire] #249327 12/06/17 03:54 PM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
Which is better - the Crystal Mozart or the new builds, Crystal Mahler? Impossible to answer both are great just diferrent.

Today we checked out the Crystal Mozart. A double wide river boat. Feels more like an ocean ship. Beautiful public rooms, great coffee/bistro area. Christmas Decorations were everywhere and stunning.

To chose between the Mozart (refurbished approx 160 guests) and the Mahler (new 106 guests) is very hard. Many of the features are the same on both boats. The public areas are superior on the Mozart because of its width. The cabins are better on the Mahler with bigger bathrooms and the walk in closet.

Either ship would be good, just different. The one main similarity is the quality of the food. The kitchen are larger with more staff so the ability to have better menus and more options than the other river boats is obvious.

Glad we came there is nothing like seeing something in person. We will post pictures when we get back home.

Re: Crystal Mahler [Re: Ngaire] #249861 04/04/18 08:19 PM
julesluvscruising Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Hello, it's me, Julie. I'm just adding on to Ngaire's review because I recently disembarked from the Crystal Mahler and took a few pictures of the menus and of the buses.
The whole experience was amazing! The service and cuisine were top-rate. I'm happy to answer any questions that you may have about the Crystal Mahler.

[Linked Image] - the buses were very roomy. I'm 5'8" and my feet could not reach the bar at the bottom of the seat in front of me so very, very spacious. The buses also offered free wifi connection.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image] - there are light items on the bistro counter all day, like cheeses, meats, fruits, and breakfast pastries, yogurt, and cereals in the morning. However, there is also this lunch menu during certain hours that will be listed on your daily program.

"One's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things." - Henry Miller
Re: Crystal Mahler [Re: Ngaire] #249863 04/04/18 10:40 PM
lonestarlady Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Hi Julie! I am wondering about how dinner works. I know it is open seating, but I am curious if you can show up when you want between certain hours. The only river cruise I have been on required everyone to come to the dining room around the same time - if you were not there between say 6:30 and 7:00 to be seated, you might not get served!! We like to eat late, so hoping they have extended hours like on the ocean ships.

Cindy
TravelingTexasDuo.com

"In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." - Abraham Lincoln
Re: Crystal Mahler [Re: Ngaire] #249874 04/05/18 02:05 PM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
Julie is out sick. From my visits real open seating dining just like Regent. No rush to the dining room

Re: Crystal Mahler [Re: Ngaire] #249877 04/05/18 04:42 PM
lonestarlady Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Thanks Ngaire.

Cindy
TravelingTexasDuo.com

"In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." - Abraham Lincoln
Re: Crystal Mahler [Re: Ngaire] #249881 04/05/18 07:25 PM
cruiser
cruiser
For the main dining room, dinner hours were 7-9 pm and it was open seating. They also serve tapas in the evening at the Bistro occasionally and you can make a reservation with your Butler. The Vintage Room is the private dining room for purchase I think it seats 10, I’ll double-check. As Ngaire said I’m out sick and my notes are at the office. There was one evening in which they took us on an evening tour so there was an early dining dinner buffet. We arrived at different times and dinner service was always prompt. We dined with others a couple of times but there was plenty of seating for just two if you prefer. It was exactly like it would be on Regent. No pressure to arrive at a certain time.

"One's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things." - Henry Miller
Re: Crystal Mahler [Re: Ngaire] #249928 04/10/18 06:20 PM
cruiser
cruiser
The Vintage Room holds 10 guests and reservations can be made via the Already Booked (Priority Check-In & Planning Center). Costs may depend on the voyage but on average it will be 290 Euros per person, or if you want to reserve the entire room it is 2600 Euros.

Re: Crystal Mahler [Re: Ngaire] #250090 05/03/18 12:50 PM
cruisinfanatic Offline
cruiser
cruiser
I am so excited for this trip, thanks Julie for posting the menus.
The Vintage Room sounds a little pricey to me. As well, when I first booked excursions, we booked an evening private Canal Cruise which at that time was complimentary, and now they have added a 180euro per person to our excursions.....will be cancelling that. I did some checking and literally could book a 4 course dinner cruise with drinks included for 89 euros per person......considering that. We did not book any of the Michelin dining experiences, again thought they were very pricey.....and some reviews I read said the food on the ship was better.
But as I said, am so excited for something different, just wish it was a little longer! clap

JoAnn
Re: Crystal Mahler [Re: Ngaire] #250091 05/03/18 05:22 PM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
I agree Joann some of their pricing on special excursions and offers is way out of line! My feeling is this may come down over time. Do not plan on a party for the group in the Vintage Room!!

Re: Crystal Mahler [Re: Ngaire] #250092 05/03/18 06:44 PM
cruisinfanatic Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Haha Ngaire laugh laugh thats for sure.

JoAnn
Re: Crystal Mahler [Re: Ngaire] #250093 05/03/18 08:39 PM
petlover Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Yikes, that's outrageous. You won't find us eating in the Vintage room. We ate in the equivalent on an AMA cruise for a fraction of the price. I can't remember what we booked for excursions but I'm almost certain they were all free. Maybe I need to re-check.

Thanks for posting the menus Julie.

Marcie

Re: Crystal Mahler [Re: Ngaire] #250096 05/03/18 09:22 PM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
If you booked anything that was free and it changed they would contact us. They have good excursions and I hear fantastic buses with wifi but the "add ons" are off the chart. These special restaurants to me are not worth it and so we will not be partaking in any of those options.

Re: Crystal Mahler [Re: Ngaire] #250097 05/03/18 11:09 PM
cruisinfanatic Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Well I did get an email from them last week, telling us to check to be sure our excursions were the ones we wanted, and that some would have an additional cost.....that is when I discovered that suddenly there was this 180euro add on for that private canal cruise. I am mad at myself for not printing out the excursions at the time I booked them, which would have showed the complimentary canal cruise, but I was waiting for a couple of the other ports to open up.

But no big deal, will just cancel that one. We will find another evening one that will work just fine. When I find something, will post here in case anyone else is interested.

JoAnn
Re: Crystal Mahler [Re: Ngaire] #250099 05/04/18 05:13 PM
petlover Offline
cruiser
cruiser
I just checked our excursions. We have a free Canal cruise @ 2:00 on Sunday 9/ 23. We have one evening event, the Crystal signature evening of Classical music on 9/28 (sounds like Tom will have a chance to catch up on his zzzzzz's 😜)

Marcie

Re: Crystal Mahler [Re: Ngaire] #250102 05/04/18 08:00 PM
cruisinfanatic Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Yes, the afternoon and morning Canal cruises are complimentary, this was the evening "private canal cruise" that they added the cost onto. We did not book the evening classical concert, but are still thinking on that one. Is everyone else booking that?

JoAnn
Re: Crystal Mahler [Re: Ngaire] #250167 05/15/18 02:19 PM
H
houstongal Offline
cruiser
cruiser
H
can one find reasonable small group private canal boats to book if a group of us wanted to go on a canal boat night time ride for a reasonable price or are they pretty expensive? ie not through crystal? I wouldn't mind researching it if a group of us might be interested. This is in Amsterdam I am assuming, right?
Cheri, Jill's daughter in Texas.
PS I arranged a small private whale boat tour for six when i was on an Alaskan cruise for a reasonable price that was local via research. and if there is not an interest no biggie. :)

Re: Crystal Mahler [Re: Ngaire] #250180 05/18/18 02:42 PM
cruisinfanatic Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Cheri
I had been thinking of the same thing since the Crystal one is -180 euros pp. It would seem we could do a private one for less....and we would certainly be interested.

JoAnn
Re: Crystal Mahler [Re: Ngaire] #250279 06/01/18 06:30 PM
Tom G Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Sorry I'm late to this thread. It seems to me what Crystal River Cruises is doing is underhanded and lacks transparency. Back in February, we too booked the evening canal cruise, and it was complimentary. I would never have booked a canal cruise for 180 Euros. At the time I did print my shore excursion and there is no mention of a charge for that one.

So then in April they send an email to everyone suggesting they double check their shore excursions, and pointing out what we already knew, that some excursions had charges involved. Why couldn't they just be honest and open and say we made a mistake and listed as complimentary some excursions that really had charges, and you booked one of them? The cruise line actually tried to make passengers think it was their fault for not checking whether the excusrion had a fee.That is so wrong.

I never bothered to double check my excusrions because I knew what I booked and I had a printout. So what would have happened? I would have arrived at the ship, been informed of the 180 Euro charge and told it was too late to get a refund because it was less than 24 hours before the ship arrived in port. And, oh yes, we sent you an email in April asking you to double check your excursions. I just hope this is not an indication of how this company treats its customers.

Tom.

Re: Crystal Mahler [Re: Ngaire] #250282 06/02/18 12:43 PM
cruisinfanatic Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Thanks Tom for reinforcing the fact that the "private evening canal cruise" originally did not show a charge, as I was feeling a bit like I had missed something when I booked it, but like you I would never pay that amount, so I booked it on the basis that at the time it was complimentary......and in fact had read a review from someone on the Bach or Maher saying how nice the private evening canal cruise had been.
We have cancelled that and I am going to see if I can find one that is less expensive that we could book on our own. Would others be interested? Email me or post here, if we got 10 or 12 we might find something. Would probably do it the 24th maybe.

JoAnn
Re: Crystal Mahler [Re: petlover] #250284 06/02/18 03:06 PM
Tom G Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Originally Posted by petlover
I just checked our excursions. We have a free Canal cruise @ 2:00 on Sunday 9/ 23. We have one evening event, the Crystal signature evening of Classical music on 9/28 (sounds like Tom will have a chance to catch up on his zzzzzz's 😜)

Marcie, are you sure your Sunday 2 pm canal cruise is free? I booked the same free cruise and I'm now seeing a 180 Euro charge per person.

AMS-19 Afternoon Canal Cruise
Price € 180.00
Starts 02:00 pm (2:00 hrs)
Available

Re: Crystal Mahler [Re: Ngaire] #250285 06/02/18 03:19 PM
Tom G Offline
cruiser
cruiser
JoAnn, it's even worse than I first thought. We booked the afternoon canal cruise on Sunday and the evening canal cruise on Monday. BOTH now have 180 Euro pp charges.So the two free, two-hour, canal cruises I booked all of a sudden turned into $900 worth of excursions.

If you're going to charge those outrageous prices, at least you shouldn't trick people into booking them. We should not have received a generic email from Crystal telling us to check our excursions for our errors. We should have received an appology from them for the errors they made. And if they really were a company that does the right thing they should have comped them, and not force us to look for less expensive alternatives.

Edited to add: Why would a four hour tour that includes apparently the same canal boat ride as well as a museum tour be complimentary, while taking just the canal boat ride would cost 180 Euros?

AMS-02 Private Canal Boat Tour and Visit to Rijksmuseum
Complimentary Tour
Starts 02:00 pm (4:00 hrs)
Available

AMS-19 Afternoon Canal Cruise
Price € 180.00
Starts 02:00 pm (2:00 hrs)
Available

Tom.

Re: Crystal Mahler [Re: Ngaire] #250286 06/02/18 05:42 PM
petlover Offline
cruiser
cruiser
YIKES....we too are booked for the AMS-19 2:00pm canal cruise. No way are we paying 180 euro. Maybe we need a revolt. We want to ride on the boat, not buy it.

In Kehl, Germany we have "Panoramic Tour of Strasbourg & Canal Boat cruise @ 9:00am and that still shows as free.

Marcie

Re: Crystal Mahler [Re: Ngaire] #250288 06/02/18 06:36 PM
cruisinfanatic Offline
cruiser
cruiser
This is crazy, they keep adding costs to previously complimentary excursions. I just checked ours and as of now we have all complimentary ones, but I will check on a regular basis for sure.
Marcie we have that same tour to Strasbourg, and the afternoon one, because we want to stay and eat there and wander on our own, so we are hoping they will let us go on the morning tour and return on the late afternoon tour.
Tom - that is weird that a longer tour would be complimentary and a shorter one have a cost, much less be expensive.
I will start doing some checking on a private canal cruise and see what I can come up with. I know I've seen some 4 hours cruises with dinner and drinks for waaaayyyyy less than 180euros, more like 25euros, I'm sure we could find something.

editing to add, that I had mentioned a dinner cruise further back and the cost for it was 89eurons, but that included a 4 course dinner, cooked onboard, with drinks.....now issue with that is that we would have to get to the boarding point and back on our own....going to do some serious looking this week.

JoAnn
Re: Crystal Mahler [Re: Ngaire] #250289 06/02/18 07:45 PM
Tom G Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Thanks for checking on alternatives JoAnn. We all owe you a debt of gratitude for uncovering this. No one else thought to double check their excursions because we all knew what we had booked.We would have arrived at the ship to be informed we were past the cancellation deadline.

Tom.

Re: Crystal Mahler [Re: Ngaire] #250292 06/03/18 01:03 PM
Mark and Cheron Offline
cruiser
cruiser
We were also supposedly on the complimentary afternoon cruise as well that turned into a paid excursion. Please post if a group is going on the afternoon or night canal tour privately. We currently booked the longer complimentary excursion.

Re: Crystal Mahler [Re: Ngaire] #250301 06/04/18 05:20 PM
petlover Offline
cruiser
cruiser
I contacted Clay first thing this morning. Within 1 hour I received a call from Nancy @ KLT and explained the entire thing and gave her names of those I know who also booked the "complimentary" canal trip. I explained how unprofessional it was that they changed it after the fact to the absurd price of 180 euros pp when it was to be "complimentary". She agrees since it was their error, Crystal should honor what we all originally signed up for ( likely futile). She's pulling up all the booking #'s and in touch with Crystal and will get back with me when she knows more...may be a couple of days.

In the meantime, we're not able to book the 4 hour since times overlap. I'll post anything I find out.

Marcie

Re: Crystal Mahler [Re: Ngaire] #250306 06/05/18 07:21 AM
Mark and Cheron Offline
cruiser
cruiser
I cancelled the tour once I saw the upcharge and booked the 4 hour tour. I believe I have a printout showing the complimentary price.

Keene Luxury Travel Offers