Luxury Cruise Talk Logo

Keene Luxury Travel
800-856-1155 · 972-701-9292
Join Our Mailing List · Email us

Who's Online Now
7 registered members (Yallcruise, Ralph W., Ngaire, Davefr, DennisK, Jim B, 1 invisible), 816 guests
Newest Members
DennisK, SuprDave, BarbD, johnsmithpmt, Juliehoover(41381 Registered Users)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
USA riverboating #225449 08/13/10 07:16 AM
petlover Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
We have a friend who is booked on one of these...could be a great way to see the USA

http://www.americancruiselines.com/ship_main.php

Marcie

Re: USA riverboating #225450 08/13/10 03:12 PM
cruisinfanatic Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Those rooms will be very very very small, so keep that in mind. We once went on the Mississippi Queen, in a balcony room and they were so small you could hardly move. The bathroom was so tiny you could not turn around in the shower, really small. Now thats not to say we didn't have a great time, because we did, but it was quite an experience - thank God for the tiny small balcony. It was though one of the most interesting and fun cruises we have done. Up the Mississippi River from New Orleans and back, 5 days, plus two nights in NO.

JoAnn
Re: USA riverboating #225451 08/13/10 03:46 PM
joannapv Offline
cruiser
cruiser
I guess with right group you make anything fun but this would not be for me as an oldster

Joanna
Re: USA riverboating #225452 08/14/10 06:37 AM
pkd Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Interesting, Marcie. Thanks for sharing. I didn't have any idea there were this many American river cruises.

I've been trying to come up with an idea for a short vacation with my siblings and their spouses, and also with some close friends for whom cost needs to be a consideration. (Well, isn't it with all of us!) With a per diem of more than $600 per day per person (with balcony) one of these cruises probably won't work, but I'm glad to know about the option.

We've gotten spoiled with the Regent discounts and B&K benefits!

Priscilla
Re: USA riverboating #225453 08/14/10 06:10 PM
jhp Offline
cruiser
cruiser
You really can't tell how big the staterooms are on those "ships/boats". Marcie's link says largest cabins in the industry. I'm sure I have seen the smallest single cabin ever on our BK cruise in Dec.! But no single supplement and I was fine. Cruising so much different in US waters, with rules for staffing, etc.

Re: USA riverboating [Re: jhp] #237256 04/09/13 10:44 AM
J
Joanandjoe Offline
cruiser
cruiser
J
We'll be getting on the Queen of the Mississippi on Saturday, 4/13. Supposedly the cabins are the same size as the smallest Regent cabins - about 300 square feet. We'll let everyone know whether that 150 passenger ship, from American Cruise Lines, is worthy of travel by B & K cruisers.

BTW, we're taking this ship, instead of American Queen (mentioned above) because of the cabin size.

Re: USA riverboating [Re: petlover] #237276 04/10/13 04:36 PM
cruisinfanatic Offline
cruiser
cruiser
I am pretty sure that is the old Mississippi Queen we went on several years ago. You must be in one of the suites, as we were in just a standard balcony and I don't remember it being close to the same size as Regent suites. Now. that said, its possible that they have done a refurbishment and redesigned the cabins and made them larger, thus fewer. Sounds like a fun trip and I'm sure you will have a great time.

Send some Riverboat mail and pictures. We loved our cruise on the Mississippi!

JoAnn
Re: USA riverboating [Re: cruisinfanatic] #237302 04/13/13 05:55 PM
count Florida Offline
cruiser
cruiser
I checked the American Cruise lines web site. No size listed for the two Queens, just "largest staterooms on the Mississippi" which is perhaps because they are the "only staterooms on the Mississippi"? Don't know.

On the smaller ships used on the east coast, the writeup state that the rooms are over 200 sq.ft. Elsewhere it states the all rooms have hotel type private baths.

We've been thinking about these offerings and will be very much looking forward to reading reliable reviews about them.

[size=8]Too Many To List - 416� days & counting on Radisson/Regent, and 150+� days on 8 other lines, with one cruise booked next month on the Mariner, Miami to Honolulu 22 days
Re: USA riverboating [Re: Joanandjoe] #239609 11/05/13 03:24 PM
J
Joanandjoe Offline
cruiser
cruiser
J
Originally Posted by Joanandjoe
We'll be getting on the Queen of the Mississippi on Saturday, 4/13. Supposedly the cabins are the same size as the smallest Regent cabins - about 300 square feet. We'll let everyone know whether that 150 passenger ship, from American Cruise Lines, is worthy of travel by B & K cruisers.

BTW, we're taking this ship, instead of American Queen (mentioned above) because of the cabin size.

We never did post a review of the cruise. We can say that the rooms, and itinerary were wonderful. While not as luxurious as Regent rooms. the rooms are almost as big. Food was pretty good, although with fewer choices than Regent. Service was spotty - we're vey quiet, and people at noisier tables got faster service at meals.

When we wrote a letter to the President of the line, complaining about the dinner service, his response was personal (a phone call followed by a letter), prompt, and useful. We'll have free shore ex on our next, Columbia River, cruise; and the crew was given additional training. We also got a substantial discount on the next cruise.

Obviously, we're trying them again. Since we have a huge Midnight Sun cruise on Regent next summer (the last major vacation before I retire), we'll be cruising with ACL in the summer of 2015.

Moderated by  KarenS 

Keene Luxury Travel Offers