Luxury Cruise Talk Logo

Keene Luxury Travel
800-856-1155 · 972-701-9292
Join Our Mailing List · Email us

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Jim B), 664 guests
Newest Members
DennisK, SuprDave, BarbD, johnsmithpmt, Juliehoover(41381 Registered Users)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Visit a Cheetah on the Wine Tour? #211112 08/14/08 07:34 AM
Ngaire Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
VISIT A CHEETAH

On the wine tour days of 9/15 and 9/17 we have an optional choice to visit the Cheetah facility at Spier.
http://www.cheetah.co.za

I had not originally included this as I did this option with another group and I need to share with you that the response was not favorable. This is not a quality research center like DeWildt or Hoedspruit Cheetah Project. This is truly a money making facility and that is very obvious when you are there. This did not sit well with some people.

The cheetahs are in large pens. There is a small entrance fee we will include with the transport and then you can simply sit in the stands or walk around the pens and see the cheetahs. Sometimes they are in the close up pens or sometimes a distance away.

Although many did not like the center itself, the opportunity to be up close and have your picture taken with a cheetah is something that many really enjoy. Andrea and Leonard want to do this with Cindy’s group on the 15th. They are doing the longer option of a session with a cheetah for 30 minutes that costs R2500 ($333) total. This cost is divided among the participants so price drops depending on number of people participating. Shorter sessions can be done for as little as about R80 – about $10 per person – full details below.

Since I want everyone to have this option, I also want to make it available to those on Ngaire and Debbie’s group on the 17th.

The biggest cost will be the transportation. We do not want to inconvenience those who want to return to Cape Town after the wine tour ends as originally planned. So we need to have a new vehicle come from Cape Town, pick up the “cheetah people” after lunch, and then take them to the cheetahs. This vehicle then waits until everyone is done and then returns to the Radisson Hotel in Cape Town. Probable return to the Radisson Hotel will be about 5.00 pm. This cost is going to vary considerably depending on the number of people participating, from a high of about $75 per person to a low of about $25 per person.

I will need to organize this and want to set a deadline of August 22nd to let me know. I would appreciate a quick email back with a NO or a YES so that I know everyone has been informed and given this opportunity.

If it is a YES - then read this portion.

Please confirm how many people will participate. Once I have the final numbers I can let you know the final transportation cost.

Andrea did some research and this is what she told me. This is less expensive than I remember for the basic pictures, so maybe it has gone down in price. You will need to have RAND to be sure you have no problems.

• Encounter with an adult cheetah is an additional 80 rand ($10) per person. (encounter lasts 5 to 8 minutes) CASH ONLY
• Encounter with a cheetah cub (due at Spier in August) is an additional 160 ($21) rand per person. (encounter lasts 10 minutes) CASH ONLY

With the above public encounters, you get limited time with the cheetah and someone will take your photo using your own camera.

• Private encounter with an adult cheetah. This takes place in the educational building, away from other visitors. A representative will give a talk about the plight of the wild cheetah before bringing out an adult cat. Guests can take as many photos as they wish themselves and can pet the cheetah (cat willing). This encounter lasts 30 minutes total and is 2500 rand, ($333) that cost divided between the people participating.

Andrea and Leonard have requested a time frame for their private encounter of 3.00 pm or 3.30 pm on the 15th. Once they are confirmed and we have that time frame, anyone else who wants to do the long encounter should make their own reservation for the same time frame to reduce the cost per person.

email: cheetah@intekom.co.za

To make a private encounter reservation. Payment must be made in advance via electronic direct deposit. Cancellation fees apply.

Please shoot me an email so I can mark your wishes down and get this option confirmed.

Ngaire.

Re: Visit a Cheetah on the Wine Tour? #211113 08/14/08 08:54 AM
AndreaRH Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Thanks for making this happen for Leonard and I, Ngaire! We're looking forward to it.

We have talked with people who loved the encounter, thought it was a highlight, and we've talked with others who don't think that wild animal petting should ever be offered to the public.

I'm actually still torn on how I feel about it. Before deciding to visit Spier, I called Cheetah Outreach and talked with two different people at length. They seemed very sincere in their efforts to help wild cheetahs. Of course, who knows what the real motives are, but in the end Leonard and I decided we wanted to do this.

We booked a private encounter at 3:30 p.m. on September 15 so Len could take more photos (he's nuts about photography), but if there's time in the schedule I'll probably also get in the public line to pet the cheetah cubs. (They don't offer private encounters with the cubs.)

Here are some URLs that may help you decide if this is of interest:

Cheetah Outreach website
http://www.cheetah.co.za/

Cheetah Outreach page at Spier's website
http://www.spier.co.za/whattodoatspier/cheetah.htm

A review and photos from a couple who did the cheetah encounter at Spier
http://justinandcrystal.com/Africa/070918.htm

An article from the Cape Times about the cheetah encounters at Spier
http://www.eagle-encounters.co.za/article8.php

Another article about the encounters
http://www.krolltravel.com/stories/SAfrica_Cheetah.htm

There are also some photos of this on Flicker, but the website is down right now so I can't get the link.

Thanks again, Ngaire, for working this out for us! We're counting the days to our flight on September 12.

Andrea & Leonard

PS - Spier also has Anatolian sheep dogs and an eagle encounter.

Re: Visit a Cheetah on the Wine Tour? #211114 08/15/08 04:16 AM
pammy Offline
cruiser
cruiser
No. Jim and I are doing Dewitt.

Re: Visit a Cheetah on the Wine Tour? #211115 08/15/08 07:54 AM
Arlene Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Gil, myself, Gemma and Bill have all decided against doing this as we'll still be jet-lagged.

Moderated by  KarenS 

Keene Luxury Travel Offers