Luxury Cruise Talk Logo

Keene Luxury Travel
800-856-1155 · 972-701-9292
Join Our Mailing List · Email us

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Ngaire, 1 invisible), 852 guests
Newest Members
DennisK, SuprDave, BarbD, johnsmithpmt, Juliehoover(41381 Registered Users)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Covid Testing for Travel #254480 05/05/21 08:40 PM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
Some of us are planning travel now. We are leaving on May 26th for South Africa - YEAH!! I thought it may be good to share any information on getting the covid RT PCR test that is required for international destinations. We started this process today and found it was a little more complicated than I first anticipated. Thought 3 days before plenty of time but not really since most tests take at least 2 days for the results. This is what I have figured out so far. Anyone who has any information on this subject please post and share with others.

Pre-flight Covid Testing must be the RT PCR viral/molecular test. Cannot be the rapid PCR antigen test.
CDC says 3 days before travel BUT South Africa says 72 hours from the time- of- flight departure. To be safe I think you need to use the time frame that is required at your destination, not what the CDC states.

RT PCR test no older than 72 hours at time-of-flight departure
BE CAREFUL it sounds like a 2-day turnaround will work but it is risky example below
Departing on June 16 at 6.00 pm.
June 13 at 2.00 pm test is taken.
June 14 at 2.00 pm (24 hours) Day 1
June 15 at 2.00 pm (48 hours) Day 2 – hopefully comes back but it can be delayed.
June 16 at 2.00 pm (72 hours) Day 3 – you have the test back
BUT your flight is at 6.00 pm so you are now 76 hours from testing.

In most cases the RT PCR test for travel is not covered by insurance. There are some places that DO take insurance.

Timing of your testing.
Personally, I think a 2-day turnaround is too risky.
There are places that offer same day or next day results – average cost $250 per person.
If the testing facility has the lab equipment the test can be processed in 30 minutes, but very few facilities have the lab equipment to process the test.
We found a testing facility with the 30 minute test where the cost is $275 per person (just $25 more). It is at the airport.

Possibly the labs with the equipment in house to run the test immediately may all be at or close to airports. I do feel that more and more companies will pop up, the cost will start to go down and also more facilities may be able to do the 30 minute RT PCR test in house. The time delay is all about the labs being back up and transportation.

Re: Covid Testing for Travel [Re: Ngaire] #254481 05/05/21 09:22 PM
lonestarlady Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Just offering this as personal experience....

We have had 6 of the RT PCR tests done over the last 6 months (before and after 3 trips we took to Mexico, even though it was not required - just to be pro-active). We had ours done with Curative, who does have locations all around Texas, and there was no cost at all. They ask you to complete a questionnaire, and basically if you say you have been to a grocery store, church, restaurant, or any other public place, you can be tested for free - covered by the The Families First Coronavirus Response Act. We always got our results in 24 hours, even back when testing was really ramped up. Of course I realize that this turn around time may be dependent on where you are located. Curative sites mostly do the oropharyngeal, not the nasal swab. We did also have one of the nasal swab RT PCR tests at local minor emergency center one time, and it took 48 hours for that result to come back. That one was also covered by our local health department. FYI - before our return from Mexico, we just had the rapid antigen tests done for reentry to the US as that is all the US requires for international arrivals!

Cindy
TravelingTexasDuo.com

"In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." - Abraham Lincoln
Re: Covid Testing for Travel [Re: Ngaire] #254482 05/06/21 12:16 AM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
Cindy so glad you had such a good experience.

We had a client a few weeks ago that got the test and paid but did not get a result and was in a state of panic. In fact to date STILL has not received results. Susan found the place near the airport and she went there and got the test in 30 minutes and made her flight okay.

Finally after much research we found a place close to our home, do the RT PCR test, results in 45 minutes AND covered by insurance. Only issue is they only make appointments 4 days in advance so we need to jump on the date we want immediately to be sure we get in.

The tests to come back to the US from our Safari in June are proving to be no problem. Great program they come to the lodges and do the test and send results by email and the lodge prints the report out for you. Great service. Takes all the stress out of the situation.

I am so excited to get on an international plane and go on a safari! Leave on May 26th.

Re: Covid Testing for Travel [Re: Ngaire] #254483 05/06/21 01:03 AM
Ms Understood Offline
cruiser
cruiser
For my So Cal compatriots there is Covid testing at LAX. Standard PCR test is $125 with results in 3-5 hours. My sister and her family all went there before flights to Hawaii and said they had results via email before they got home from the testing. I expect that we will got here for our tests before we head off to So Africa on May 31!
————————
Helen

Re: Covid Testing for Travel [Re: Ngaire] #254484 05/06/21 01:19 AM
V
VayaConStacy Offline
cruiser
cruiser
V
So, we're following Ngaire by a few days to South Africa, and the problem is not with the first PCR test leaving the US, but the tests we must do in-country while changing from one African country to another. Currently, we can get a doctor to come to the safari lodge in Kruger Park to administer the PCR test in time, but the labs in Nelspruit have decided to close on Saturday and Sunday, so we can't get our results within the necessary time frame to enter Zimbabwe. Does anyone know if there is a rapid result PCR test available near Skukuza Airport?

Also, for the purposes of getting into South Africa, does the 72 hour window run from the time you leave your home airport, or from the time you depart on the flight which actually departs the US?

Yours in testing hell,
Stacy

The world is full of magic things, patiently waiting for our senses to grow sharper. – W.B. Yeats

Warm regards,
Stacy
Follow us at: vayacongringos.Wordpress.com
Re: Covid Testing for Travel [Re: Ngaire] #254485 05/06/21 02:49 AM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
I know Mala Mala uses a service at Skukuza I bet Nicole can ask Mala Mala for details. Ask her to do that for you. Of course they may be closed on the weekend as well. You will have challenges changing countries.

On the time used for the 72 hour window I do not know for sure but I would guess it would be the time you board the international flight. Cannot see whether you drive or fly to the airport would matter and count in the time before departure to the foreign country.

So hard to get certain details. I feel like I have never experienced so much misinformation and lack of clarity on so many aspects of the COVID situation.

Re: Covid Testing for Travel [Re: Ngaire] #254486 05/06/21 02:51 AM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
Helen. Interesting I think the airports or close to an airport may be the place to investigate if anyone is having issues.

Re: Covid Testing for Travel [Re: Ngaire] #254487 05/06/21 04:37 AM
Ralph W. Offline
cruiser
cruiser
I have always understood it to be from date and time of test.

Re: Covid Testing for Travel [Re: Ngaire] #254488 05/06/21 04:11 PM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
I agree Ralph it is that you must board the plane prior within the 72 hours from the date and time of the test. That is what i have always understood.

The question was does the domestic connecting flight count or is it just the international flight time that dictates the 72 hour time period.

Since covid testing is not required domestically it seems logical the 72 hours would be that the international flight would be determining factor for 72 hours.
However, if the flights are on the same itinerary it is possible they may use the flight time of the domestic flight, it begins your trip.

I have no idea that is an extremely interesting and important question as the time of that first domestic flight could be many hours with the layovers before the international flight.

Going to go back and see if that is noted clearly as the "international" flight.

Re: Covid Testing for Travel [Re: Ngaire] #254496 05/06/21 07:06 PM
Ms Understood Offline
cruiser
cruiser
I'm really confused now: State dept website says "Negative COVID-19 Test Required: Any travelers to South Africa will need to present a negative COVID-19 test not older than 72 hours from the time of departure, or will be required to remain in mandatory quarantine at their own cost if they have not done a COVID-19 test.

While CNN reports:
All travelers must complete a screening form within 48 hours of their trip to produce on their device at the airport. On arrival, they must present a paper copy of a negative PCR test taken within 72 hours of arrival.
--------------------------------
Helen

Re: Covid Testing for Travel [Re: Ngaire] #254497 05/06/21 11:40 PM
Marc Offline
cruiser
cruiser
I am glad you are all guinea pigs from which we can learn the ins and outs (literally); our first international flight is not until October and that is to Canada; that border is FUBAR.

Re: Covid Testing for Travel [Re: Ngaire] #254498 05/07/21 12:06 AM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
Actually both are correct. Talking about two different things.

From Helen
I'm really confused now: State dept website says "Negative COVID-19 Test Required: Any travelers to South Africa will need to present a negative COVID-19 test not older than 72 hours from the time of departure, or will be required to remain in mandatory quarantine at their own cost if they have not done a COVID-19 test.
Response
YES everyone must arrive with a negative covid test no older than 72 hours from departure. But probably everyone will get that Covid test! If you arrive WITHOUT a Negative Covid-19 test you can get tested (facility in the basement of the airport) and if you are negative then it is my understanding then you do NOT have to quarantine.

From Helen
While CNN reports:
All travelers must complete a screening form within 48 hours of their trip to produce on their device at the airport. On arrival, they must present a paper copy of a negative PCR test taken within 72 hours of arrival.
Response
YES that is all correct. They are talking about the Entry Form that has basic information and has health questions and must be completed on line no earlier than 48 hours before arrival. I am sending you that all filled out with all your personal details and all you have to do is copy the details to the on line form. Only thing not filled in ahead for you is your flight and seat numbers as they may change. This is a good idea as filling in these forms on arrival slows the entire arrival process down. Once completed they send you a code on your phone and you show the code and then can move on through the process without a time delay.

Also you must have a paper copy of your covid test showing it on your phone is not acceptable.

Those on my safaris do not need to worry, you will be receiving a lot of information with your final itineraries.

--------------------------------

Re: Covid Testing for Travel [Re: Ngaire] #254526 05/12/21 08:30 PM
Colleen Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Please keep posting from experience. We are not planning on leaving the country until December but this may put a real damper on trying to actually travel. Does anyone know if , at any point in the future, they may allow one to travel with proof of a vaccine? Is there any "talk" that this may happen? OR should I start looking at testing sites in Cape town and Rio as that is where our cruise goes?

Colleen
Re: Covid Testing for Travel [Re: Ngaire] #254527 05/12/21 11:04 PM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
Once on the ship any of this will be handled by the ship. So you will need to covid test before you go for the flight and a covid test before the flight back, which may also be handled by the ship. If any covid tests are needed during a voyage I think they ship will handle that would not stress too much I think it will not be a huge issue.

Yes there is a lot of information about allowing travel with proof of a vaccine. I think those days will come.

Moderated by  KarenS 

Keene Luxury Travel Offers