Luxury Cruise Talk Logo

Keene Luxury Travel
800-856-1155 · 972-701-9292
Join Our Mailing List · Email us

Who's Online Now
7 registered members (Davefr, Yallcruise, Ralph W., Ngaire, DennisK, Jim B, 1 invisible), 948 guests
Newest Members
DennisK, SuprDave, BarbD, johnsmithpmt, Juliehoover(41381 Registered Users)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hello to All #108004 07/10/04 03:16 PM
L
liz Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
L
Hi,

I am Liz from New Jersey. I've been chatting with Karen on Kroooz-cams, and she invited me to come on board here, too.

While I haven't done much "luxury" cruising lately, I will be going out on Crystal Symphony on December 22. Would love to hear from anyone who has been on her, or who will be going.

Also, have made two cruises on Sea Cloud, and would dearly love to share memories with anyone who has been on her. For anyone who doesn't know her, she is a four-masted barque and was originally built as Marjorie Merriweather Post's private yacht in the 1930's. She may well be the oldest ship still cruising and SHE IS BEAUTIFUL

Re: Hello to All #108005 07/10/04 03:58 PM
jhp Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Liz, first of all, welcome to the board! Since this site was started by Ngaire, who does not book with Crystal, you probably won't find much information about those ships. However, you will find many trying to lure you over to Radisson because of the value they provide vis a vis Crystal (at least what I find in my research)! But if you have questions about ports, there is a vast amount of experience on this board. Fire away with your questions!

Re: Hello to All #108006 07/10/04 04:33 PM
petlover Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Welcome Liz! Glad you could join us!

Marcie

Re: Hello to All #108007 07/10/04 05:05 PM
KarenS Offline
Welcome to the board, Liz!

I met Liz at the Kroooz cam forums and she is the stalker of those lovely photos that I linked to on the Stalk of the day thread. I think she will fit right in as she appears to be great at finding unique webcam photos.

Liz, I know that Chip has recently come back from a Crystal cruise as a solo sailor as well and I bet he would be happy to give you some first hand info. What will your itinerary be?

There are Crystal reviews here and in this post as well.

Karen

Live long and prosper
Re: Hello to All #108008 07/10/04 06:50 PM
C
chip Offline
cruiser
cruiser
C
Liz,

Karen will give you my e-mail amd I think it is also listed on my profiles on Kroooz and LTC. I did LA to Singapore on Serenity's world cruise last winter. I would be happy to answer any questions that you might have.

Chip

Re: Hello to All #108009 07/10/04 07:23 PM
Masaki Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Welcome Liz!

Masaki

Re: Hello to All #108010 07/10/04 07:48 PM
Denise Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Hi Liz and welcome! Glad you are able to join in the conversations and postings!

Denise

Retired and loving it!
Re: Hello to All #108011 07/11/04 05:30 AM
pkd Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Welcome, Liz! I have read about the Sea Cloud and would LOVE to sail on her one day. National Geographic uses her for a couple of Med sailings; that's where I've read about Sea Cloud and seen some pictures. Your trip must have been lovely!

Anyway, welcome to LCT! You'll find this board a great resource for cruising, particularly on Radisson but also Silversea and a few others.

Priscilla
Re: Hello to All #108012 07/11/04 02:40 PM
L
liz Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
L
Thank you all so much for this great welcome!! Chip, I read your Symphony review. SO GLAD it was so good. I can't wait, but keep telling myself not to rush the summer. I do have some questions and will ask you via E-Mail

The itinerary is out of Lauderdale, Nassau, St. Barts, Antigua, Barbados, Grenada, St. Lucia, Tortola. I really picked this for the timing and the ship, rather than the ports, although, except for Barbados, Antigua, and Nassau, of course, they are new to me. So any info would be great.

A funny aside, vis-a-vis the opportunity to book stuff on-line, if you are prepaid. Crystal is offering a helocopter trip over Monserrat out of Antigua, which sounds wonderful. I E-Mailed them asking the price and requesting safety info, i.e. equipment used and pilot training. (Am I the only one who ever has asked this??) Got a very vague reply, they don't know the price ( I suppose, if you have to ask, you can't afford it) and no info whatever on safety - "ask at the excursion desk on board" (Maybe I should have been more specific. "Have you offered this before, YES?__, NO?__; if Yes, How many crashes?. Seriously, has anyone done this??

Also, I would like to try Scuba again. I am not certified (at least not yet, it has been on my "to do" list for some five years.) Any recommendations for a good school at one of these ports.

Again, thanks for the welcome. Will try not to go on so long in the future

Liz

Re: Hello to All #108013 07/11/04 03:58 PM
KarenS Offline
Liz, your itinerary sounds great! We were in Barbados and St. Barts (I think) :) this past January. It was great to get away from the Pittsburgh winter from H - E - double toothpicks!

I do feel like I must warn you though. There is huge group of people going on the Mariner this fall to the Mexican Riviera. I know that they will try to talk you into going on that cruise instead! They will tempt you with the ship, which is all balcony, the gratis wine and drinks at dinner, the inroom bar set up and the notion that tips are included :)

The price is insane, you can check it out here.

Here is the roll call post to view all the people from the board going. Everyone but me is on board!!

Karen

Live long and prosper
Re: Hello to All #108014 07/11/04 04:08 PM
C
chip Offline
cruiser
cruiser
C
That was not my review on the Symphony but I have been aboard her and she is wonderful. The best ship in Crystal's fleet some say. As for the chopper ride I'd do it in a heartbeat. Crystal and I'm sure Radisson take great care in who they hire for that sort of thing. I'm sure it's safe.

Re: Hello to All #108015 07/12/04 01:13 PM
Betty Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Karen

I will be here to help you hold down the fort. What kind of mischief do you think we might get into while everyone else is away.?

Betty
Re: Hello to All #108016 07/12/04 03:32 PM
joannapv Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Karen: Come on you remember Cheese Burger in Paradise on St Barts - joanna

Joanna
Re: Hello to All #108017 07/12/04 06:13 PM
KarenS Offline
Joanna, thanks for jogging my memory, I DO remember St. Barts now! :eek:

And Betty, we can do all sorts of fun things. Perhaps we can start off with a game of online Jenga, which would be much more fun than being with the gang. :rolleyes:

Karen

Live long and prosper
Re: Hello to All #108018 07/13/04 04:13 PM
Susan W Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Liz,
I am a certified scuba diver and have dove in Tortola, St. Barts and Barbados as well as many other Caribbean ports. The Wreck of the Rone in Tortola is one of the most famous wrecks. It was featured in the movie "The Deep" with Jacqueline Bissett. It is a very interesting dive and not hard at all. I have dove several times in St. Bart's and the water is wonderfully warm and usually quite clear. I did not enjoy Barbados as much as the other two. I am not aware of any beginning dives in Tortolla but there are beginning dives in St. Barts. You might want to consider getting certified at home before you go. You probably will need to book your own dives. I doubt the ship will have much to offer. If you are interested in shops in Tortola, St. Barts, or Barbados let me know and I will look them up in my dive book. I believe I even have their email addresses. Sounds like you will have fun!
Susan

Susan

Moderated by  KarenS 

Keene Luxury Travel Offers