Luxury Cruise Talk Logo

Keene Luxury Travel
800-856-1155 · 972-701-9292
Join Our Mailing List · Email us

Who's Online Now
7 registered members (Yallcruise, Ralph W., Ngaire, Davefr, DennisK, Jim B, 1 invisible), 816 guests
Newest Members
DennisK, SuprDave, BarbD, johnsmithpmt, Juliehoover(41381 Registered Users)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
San Francisco Hotel #103480 06/06/09 10:22 PM
S&K Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
We are flying into SF 3 days prior to BEAR. Would love some suggestions re hotel. Am looking this early just in case we can take advantage of Denise's generous offer of family and friends. We plan to walk and explore without a car, so need somewhere central to restaurants, shops, sites etc. Thankyou.

Sheila and Ken
Re: San Francisco Hotel #103481 06/07/09 06:06 AM
KarenS Offline
Sheila, I forget the name of the hotel we stayed at but maybe one of the girls who I was with will chime in with the name. We liked it because it had an outdoor patio and the room was huge. It was also centrally located.

I DO remember the name of one of my favorite restaurants, though :) It is the Jeanne D'Arc and is located in the basement of the Cornell hotel. The atmosphere was great as was the food and it was such a bargain as they have a prix fixe menu.

Jean D\'Arc restaurant

Menu

Restaurant reviews

Karen

Live long and prosper
Re: San Francisco Hotel #103482 06/07/09 07:03 AM
joannapv Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Bet Marcie will remember hotel we loved it and, yes, Jean D'Arc was perfect little place - lots of charm and good food! I think hotel was the Donatello which gets great reviews on Tripadvisor. I loved this hotel and having outdoor patio was so nice. Not many rooms have patios.

Joanna
Re: San Francisco Hotel #103483 06/07/09 08:31 AM
KarenS Offline
I think that is is, the Donatello! Good memory, Joanna.

Karen

Live long and prosper
Re: San Francisco Hotel #103484 06/07/09 10:38 AM
P
peteropny Offline
cruiser
cruiser
P
What kind of property do you like?

A moderately priced 4 star that's very reasonably priced is the Le Meridien (formerly Park Hyatt). My new favorite top hotel in San Francisco is the St Regis.

Neither of these properties is located right at Union Square which has the biggest concentration of "touristy" things to do - shopping, restaurants, cable car lines etc. But bear in mind that San Francisco is actually very compact overall so unless you're talking about going out to the Golden Gate Bridge area, its easily walkable or use public transit (I say this even though I rent a car every time I'm in SF). Le Meridien is probably about 7 blocks from Union Sqaure but only about 3 blocks from Ferry Building (farmer's market on weekends, building has upscale food shops, and is also the terminal for ferries to Sausalito / Larkspur etc). St Regis is probably 3 blocks from Union Square and 7 blocks from Ferry Building.

You're probably way too early to finalize hotel plans for next May. The hotel market in San Francisco is really hurting right now and there are amazingly good deals to be had. Le Meridien regularly shows up on www.travelzoo.com deals with regular rooms around $130 and smallish Suites for $185.

Friends who like Intercontinental seem to like the Intercontinental San Francisco (a property less than 2 years old) much better than IC Mark Hopkins (which is much more old world historic). The new property's immediate location isn't really that great but you are within 4 blocks of Union Square (flat walk) while the Mark Hopkins is atop Nob Hill (nothing but other hotels other than Grace Cathedral in the immediate area with a steep hill down to Union Square).

Right at Union Square, I probably like the Grand Hyatt the best (note that I'm top tier Hyatt Diamond) but the rooms need to be renovated which they have said will start soon. The Westin St Francis's rooms in the "old" historic part can be tiny.

Re: San Francisco Hotel #103485 06/07/09 10:41 AM
petlover Offline
cruiser
cruiser
I can't remember for sure but it may be the Donatello! It was a great hotel, walkable to good shopping, cable cars, restaurants and we LOVED the patio! Maybe Suzanne or Olivia will remember for sure. (we must sound like we're passing the buck!)

Marcie

Re: San Francisco Hotel #103486 06/07/09 12:59 PM
joannapv Offline
cruiser
cruiser
It was definitely Donatello BUT Peter has some great suggestions, as always! Good luck know you'll find the perfect hotel for you.

Joanna
Re: San Francisco Hotel #103487 06/09/09 07:58 PM
S&K Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
Thankyou very much for all your recommendations. When it gets nearer the time, I'll check them all out.

Sheila and Ken
Re: San Francisco Hotel #103488 09/29/09 10:02 AM
C
circleboy Offline
cruiser
cruiser
C
Pontiac Hotel

Sitmar Fairsea
Rccl
Royal Princess
Zenith