Hi again from our 2nd morning in Moorea. We sail for Papeete sometime in the early afternoon - who can keep track of time in paradise - and tonight we have the big party with the PEARLS. I know Ken will get some great pictures, as long as he stops posting photos of my mother and saying they are me. And my mother isn't even on this cruise. :D :D
The weather has not been kind but it hasn't slowed me down. I was able to get my last tour in yesterday before the tours were canceled. Moorea is wonderful - even in the pouring rain. I found it to be much nicer than Bora Bora. Another passenger asked our Moorean guide what she thought made the difference in the 2 islands and the guide's answer was, "We care." Thought it a great response. I did the island tour and the Belvedere. It was raining so hard we could not see a thing from the Belvedere, but I was 1 of 2 that got off the bus and bought a postcard - so I now know how it is suppose to look. Also could enjoy all the various vegetation and the people and their homes. The kids are out of school for summer vacation so you see them all over the island.
I found Bora Bora to be somewhat disappointing. Ngaire said if the sun had been shining the appeal of the beautiful waters would have been evident. While everyone else was doing something adventurous in the water, I was bouncing around the island in "Le Truck," in weather that equals Houston's most humid day ever. Due to all the rain much of road was washed out so we did literary bounce around the island. I am glad I was able to see the island and hotels, but after hearing the prices I don't think I'll need to return. I was looking forward to a drink at Bloody Mary's but it is closed until January for renovations. We did get out and take pictures so I can "prove" I was there. And after seeing the prices listed for 1 drink, I say thank you Polynesian gods for smiling on us with those renovations.
That afternoon took the tender over to tour the Paul Gaugin. Enjoyed seeing it and understand now why so many of you love it. They had hung a sign on the side of the ship, "Welcome Big Sister." Very special.
Wait - I just glanced out the window and there is sun shining on a small section of Moorea. Maybe having the PEARLS so close is bringing us luck.
Good grief - I have rambled on about nothing. But have to end this post as I always have. This is one fantastic cruise and great group of LCTers. Wish you all could be along.