Today's Daisy Update:

We're 12 days from opening night. We did the first run through of the play yesterday from start to finish with some partial costumes. The energy was very high in the room with all the excitement. I left in tears.

Backing up to July 4th, we had a personal appearance where Dorothy sang with Glinda and Daisy. When it was over,the people (200 to 300 maybe) were allowed to crowd around for a meeting with characters. Toto was the only one the people wanted to see. I was holding her since I wanted to limit the kids petting her to one at a time so not to overwhelm her and to keep her safe.

Since then Daisy has not performed well for Dorothy. She knows her stuff, but, I was trying to figure out the why on stage was she so off. We;ve has special rehearsals for Daisy and Dorothy and she works perfectly with me there as coach.

But yesterday in the rehearsal, I saw why. Dorothy is not cue-ing for the behavior the way she was taught - on purpose. Wrong treats and motions for the behavior requested - refusing to make eye contact with the dog. I already had brought up my concerns to the Director, so I can't complain, but, how crummy. I think she is afraid to be upstaged. I caught her last week telling another lead character that she did not want Daisy in a few scenes. Now I am certain why. She also doesn't want to carry 15 pounds around the stage. The stuffed animal is much lighter.

So the director told me yesterday, she will re-work Daisy's scenes. She's still in most scenes. But, she won't be trotting across the front curved stage (called the Passeral - between the audience and the orchestra pit - in front of the main stage) Oh well, there is a theater addage about working with kids and dogs and this has both. About 60-75 in the cast. They all love Daisy. She will still be cute, but, she won't do all the things I taught her. Too bad I can't play Dorothy. Besides, I can't carry a tune.


VOYAGER:
MC to FLL 11/07
MC/Dover 6/06
MARINER:
BCN / Ven 10/11
Alaska 2001|2006
Panama Canal 2003
NAV
Caribbean 11/06
Bermuda|New Eng/Canada 6/04
PG 5/05
OCEANIA
Nautica |Ist/Athens 6/07
Regatta|Baltics 6/08
Riviera 2013 Crossing -Istanbul to Miami