Luxury Cruise Talk Logo

Keene Luxury Travel
800-856-1155 · 972-701-9292
Join Our Mailing List · Email us

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Jim B, Ngaire, VayaConJim), 568 guests
Newest Members
JLdB, Obiliro, ConnorWood, DennisK, SuprDave(41384 Registered Users)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
On the Silver Cloud in Greenland and Canada #256642 08/10/23 12:11 PM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
So all went pretty well on the trip to Greenland. The night in New York we had dinner with Mary Ellen, Jim, Julie and Marvin. It was a lot of fun and the food was very good. Thanks to Helen who recommended this restaurant. When Ken went to register his credit card on the ship it was not accepted as the name did not match. Turns out Ken had Jims card and Jim had Kens card got switched at the restaurant.

The charter flight was great on an airbus jet. Only 105 of us on a plane not sure how many passengers it can hold but is sure was empty. Nice plane, comfortable seats and a great flight crew. Gorgeous sunny day and no wind when we arrived. Great dinner that night.

Yesterday we were in NUUK. Never been here before and I thought it would be bigger that it turned out to be. We just took the shuttle and got off a the first stop. Then next bus we got on did not stop as it was supposed to do at the Museum. So we got off and walked to the Museum which was an easy walk and nice to be out walking. The museum was very well done. Joe and Janice were with us and last night we ate at Hot Rocks. I like to do that once a trip. It was not too cold. Joe and Janice had not done this before so it was good for them to experience it. Been there now and done that so next time will be in the Kimberleys where it definitely will not be cold.

This afternoon we are going up a fjord with a zodic cruise and then we can get off if we wish and walk to the glacier. Not super sunny but some blue skies in and a little cloudy.

Re: On the Silver Cloud in Greenland and Canada [Re: Ngaire] #256644 08/10/23 01:24 PM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Taken right before landing. Nice view of a glacier.

Taken in Nuuk, Greenland

An interesting sculpture in Nuuk. Janice and Ngaire

Re: On the Silver Cloud in Greenland and Canada [Re: Ngaire] #256645 08/11/23 12:22 PM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
So our first zodiac cruise took place yesterday. We were in a fjord with lots of Kittiewake birds with their chicks. The highlight was a huge number of birds that were sitting on the water started to fly and went directly over our zodiac. That was really neat. We saw waterfalls, hanging glaciers and at the end of the fjord the zodiacs landed in close proximity to the glacier. From there you had an option of walking closer to the glacier. It was very calm, no wind but it was lightly raining,

Now we are sailing today from Greenland over to Canada. Little bit rough but not bad. Our cabin is in the front of the ship so we have more movement. Fortunately Ken and I do not get seasick. There is a lot of ice right now in Canada and that may do two things. Increase the chance of seeing Polar Bears and also totally disrupt the planned itinerary, We will have to see how things develop but that is the way expedition cruises go, often the second option turns out to be better.

Will try and post some more pictures.

Re: On the Silver Cloud in Greenland and Canada [Re: Ngaire] #256646 08/11/23 12:32 PM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
Joe and Janice

Ngaire and Mary Ellen

Really up-close to the waterfall. [img]http://[/img]

Mary Ellen and Jim at the glacier.

Re: On the Silver Cloud in Greenland and Canada [Re: Ngaire] #256649 08/12/23 08:50 PM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
So we woke up to a perfect sunny day with almost no wind. This was a forced stop to clear customs. We did a tour in a school bus. Not very exciting but a good guide who gave good information and answered our questions.

Super expensive to live here. Cheapest house about $750,000. Most over one million. They are very small.

One of the Canadian Ice Breakers came into port. Bought back memories of our Northwest Passage. The ice breaker got us through, without that ice breaker we would not have made it to Nome. Will post a picture of the ice breaker, they are not very big but very powerful.

We were told that tomorrow we are going to look for polar bears.

Re: On the Silver Cloud in Greenland and Canada [Re: Ngaire] #256650 08/12/23 09:13 PM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
The ice breaker

Town was all spread out. Not a good shot but best we could do

Huge tides here. The gravel area shown on the picture above was big and it will all be covered by water in a few hours

Re: On the Silver Cloud in Greenland and Canada [Re: Ngaire] #256651 08/13/23 05:49 PM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
Another glorius day not a cloud in the sky and sunny. Water is like glass, just a tiny ripple. Conditions could not be any better! We are in search of polar bears today we sure hope we find bears. Saw 24 bears on a Svalbard cruise years ago and had three trips to Churchill to see bears, and on the Northwest Passage a mother and baby bear had their paws on our ship as we waited for the ice breaker to arrive. BUT STILL excited about seeing one in this area. Ken has his new camera ready to go!!

So no bears today but a lovely day to be outside.

Re: On the Silver Cloud in Greenland and Canada [Re: Ngaire] #256652 08/14/23 11:26 AM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
Last night we went to La Dame and had a great meal celebrating the birthdays for Joe and Janice. Had a little too much to eat and drink for sure. Today is yet another nice day. More clouds today but still sunny with calm seas and few icebergs. It is the "hunt for the polar bear" again today. Early departure, I think we are both going to be weanies and skip the zodiac ride.

Re: On the Silver Cloud in Greenland and Canada [Re: Ngaire] #256653 08/15/23 12:44 AM
R
RachelG Offline
cruiser
cruiser
R
Wish we could have done this trip, but just too long away. I am surprised you hadn’t been to Nuuk before as we have been there, but I guess on a different trip. The museum is nice. And they have some good bargains on sealskin, but you can’t bring it into the US

Re: On the Silver Cloud in Greenland and Canada [Re: Ngaire] #256654 08/15/23 02:00 PM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
Well we found the polar bears! Five bears on the morning zodiac and then two bears on the afternoon zodiac ride.

On the morning drive a heavy fog appeared as the zodiacs were out. They could not see anything but the ship has a GPS from the ship to all the zodiacs. The ship advised the heading for each zodiac to take to return to the "mother ship". Could not see the ship until the zodiacs were at the boarding gate. Then during lunch it all cleared up and the fog was gone.

In the afternoon as we boarded the zodiacs you could see the fog coming in again. In a very short period of time you could hardly see the ship from the zodiac. However, where we were headed it was sunny and clear, almost no wind.

The afternoon bear was the best. We spotted him moving on the top of the hill. The zodiacs sped up to get to the area they believed he would emerge. The expedition team were correct the bear emerged a little further down. The bear got on some ice and laid out flat. It was a sunny day and not too cold and I guess he was hot. Then he slipped down on the ice twice. We were not super close but close enough. Ken has pictures that I will get to post later. THe second bear was on a huge rock eating some kind of plant.

We also found a young bearded seal very close. He stayed for a while and then slipped into the water. Stunning day, sun, calm ocean a super nice outing. By the time we returned to the ship the fog was gone.

This morning we are in more open waters, the sea has a movement, not bad but not like the super calm conditions we have had before. We were also told it was much colder today and windy and we would get splashed in the zodiacs so we opted to say in this morning. They are going to a walrus haulout which are always great to see and hear (very noisy) but we have seen a lot of walrus hold outs in the past. So we sayed on board.

Joe, Janice, Ken and I are playing trivia and placed each day. Barb may join us in the future. They do tie breakers so there are only three winners, we have been involved in tie breakers twice now but still got points. They have teams up to 8 and 20 questions. PIctures will follow.

Re: On the Silver Cloud in Greenland and Canada [Re: Ngaire] #256655 08/15/23 03:28 PM
Ken Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Lower Savage Islands off the tip of Baffin Island, Canada

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]
Mother with her Cub on a Rocky Hillside.

Sunny day, the bear was laying on the ice to cool down

A Juvenile Bearded Seal

Re: On the Silver Cloud in Greenland and Canada [Re: Ngaire] #256656 08/15/23 04:01 PM
R
RachelG Offline
cruiser
cruiser
R
outstanding polar bear pics. Their fur looks so brilliant white right now. Probably since it was a sunny day.

Re: On the Silver Cloud in Greenland and Canada [Re: Ngaire] #256657 08/16/23 01:13 PM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
Still sun every day, Been in this area before and never had so many sunny days, It sure makes a difference.

We have been in open waters since yesterday. So the seas are not as calm as before but still fine for using the zodiac. Yesterday they had no landings but zodiac cruises. One cruise went to a walrus haulout. They are amazing to see but we have had many zodiac rides to walrus haulouts in the past so we opted to be lazy and did not go out.

Had a lovely dinner with Mary Ellen and Jim last night. An oversized veal chop more than I could eat.

Today we are on our way to a landing on Kekerten Island. This used to be an old whaling station and is now an Historic Site of Canada. Many remnants of the old whaling era are still on the island. The seas are a little swell and a few white caps but hope once inside the channel it will be calmer.

Re: On the Silver Cloud in Greenland and Canada [Re: Ngaire] #256658 08/17/23 09:35 PM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
Big excitment with a polar bear today at the end of the landing with two zodiacs yet to come back one of the polar bear guides spotted a bear in the water heading towards the landing area. The guide told everyone left to go immediately to the zodiacs. The bear got out of the water and onto land and was making for the zodiac landing area. The guides used flares to scare the bear off and it took about 4 flares to turn him around. Probably hear more about this tonight at the recap.

Sailing down in glass like conditions on the way to do some ice cruising. It is stunning beautiful with mountain in background and some big icebergs coming into view.

Re: On the Silver Cloud in Greenland and Canada [Re: Ngaire] #256659 08/18/23 11:53 AM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
So we spent the night sailing north to do ice crusing. I woke up looked out the window and saw a bear swimming very close to the ship. Great way to start the day!

Again a stunning beautiful day, blue skies calm water and lots of ice. Flying constantly around the ship are birds. It is a magical scene and impossible to describe. We are fortunate to be in a nice suite at the front of the ship, perfect place to be today. We had hoped to have zodiac cruises but with the bear around that is probably not going to happen.

Never been on a trip with all this beautiful weather everyday, Some bad weather is expected tomorrow in the sea between Canada and Greenand. So we are heading over to Greenland a day early, once we finish our ice cruising to avoid rough seas.

Now looking forward to Greenland and we will start visting Inuit Villages, which I truly love to do. Such a totally different way of life and all the locals are super friendly. The kids, the husky dogs (always chained not roaming around) the fishing boats and little stores.

We are also going far north in Greenland to visit Upernavik. Never been there before. The fjord is full of small islands and is home to traditional settlements, enormous icebergs, millions of birds, and the elusive narwhal. My goal on this trip is to see a narwhal, I have my fingers crossed. Been so blessed with great weather a narwhal would be the "icing on the cake".

Stopping the ship and we are infront of a very large iceberg.

Re: On the Silver Cloud in Greenland and Canada [Re: Ngaire] #256660 08/18/23 12:49 PM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser

We got ready for a zodiac cruise, the water looked calm and we were reasonably close to the iceberg. Then the announcement came that the wind had picked up and they could not do a zodiac cruise safely. Right after that announcement the water started to get a little rougher. Amazing how fast conditions can change. I am looking out my window while typing this post at this stunning iceberg with birds constantly flying around the ship how can you complain, still a beautiful sight.

Re: On the Silver Cloud in Greenland and Canada [Re: Ngaire] #256663 08/19/23 05:45 PM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
The group on Upernavik our first Inuit village.

The church.

The view from the shore of the ship with an iceberg

Re: On the Silver Cloud in Greenland and Canada [Re: Ngaire] #256664 08/21/23 03:11 PM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
So we added a port a town called Uummannaq, will never be able to prounonce these towns. It was a beautiful sight with all the colored houses on a cliff with a huge rock behind the town.

2017 there was a landslide 19 miles away that caused a 328ft tsunamui wave. People in the towns in the path of the wave were evacuated and only four people lost their lives. The people that lost their homes moved to Uummannaq so it has had an increase in population to 1000 while other settlements the population is decreasing.

Some really nice icebergs in the sea in front of the island. One other ship arrived and it looked more like a local ship, definitely an older ship. They parked really close to a big iceberg, dropped one zodiac and then did not attempt a landing.

Will post some pictures, not all are Kens as he is using his camea not his iphone and to post fast I need iphone pictures.

Re: On the Silver Cloud in Greenland and Canada [Re: Ngaire] #256665 08/21/23 03:20 PM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
Uummannaq photos.

3 cute kids that spoke English.

A post box for letters to Santa.

Great shot.

Re: On the Silver Cloud in Greenland and Canada [Re: Ngaire] #256666 08/21/23 03:46 PM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
Today we arrived in Qeqertarsuaq in Disco Bay. This is the second largest island in Greenland with 3300 sq miles. Sun came out this morning but the wind was strong so we had to delay our landing. Calmed down but still a rough ride on the zodiacs.

This afternoon they are going to a beach where they will serve champagne. Sounds nice but we all decided to not go this afternoon. T

Pictures from Qeqertarsuaq

Arrival dock

Small church

Inlet in the town.

Re: On the Silver Cloud in Greenland and Canada [Re: Ngaire] #256667 08/22/23 01:55 PM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
Sailing into Illuissat was lovely. Bright sunshine, very little cloud. Icebergs in abundance. We went on a boat ride into the Iceberg area. Stunningly beautiful. Massive icebergs of many shapes, the water was calm. Just our group, one other passenger and one expedition team member on the boat. Almost a private tour.

This area of icebergs was better than anything I have seen in Antarctica. The only place that can compete with this is Scoresby Sund in Greenland. We are having a little lunch now the heading into town for the afternoon, Be back with pictures later.

Re: On the Silver Cloud in Greenland and Canada [Re: Ngaire] #256668 08/23/23 01:03 AM
seadog Offline
cruiser
cruiser
I love all the beautiful photos! Such wonderful weather! Cute kids! Thanks Ken and Ngaire!

Re: On the Silver Cloud in Greenland and Canada [Re: Ngaire] #256669 08/23/23 05:24 PM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
Pictures from illuissat

Hard to capture these icebergs in a photo Ken took better pictures with his camera but takes too long to get those posted.

There was a pathway to view the glacier. Some of the views were about a 30 minute walk where you could see all the ice on the way to the sea. The longer walk to see the actual Glacier was about another 20 minute walk. Once at the glacier you are on rocks looking down. Some of the pictures from the pathway follow.

Picture of the town from the start of the walk. The dogs are all kept in this part of the town. This is the time of the year they have their puppies. All those little colored small boxes are kennels and go down the road to the town for quite a distance. LOTS of dogs.

Re: On the Silver Cloud in Greenland and Canada [Re: Ngaire] #256670 08/24/23 12:42 PM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
Now about to leave to fly home and again beautiful weather. We get off after lunch and have a tour to a large ice field. Flight departs here at 6.00 pm. Then overnight in New York. Sitting in a lounge air dropping pictures will post a few.

People pictures from cruise around the giant icebergs
Barb on the upper deck.

Ken and Ngaire

The group

Ken and his camera.

Re: On the Silver Cloud in Greenland and Canada [Re: Ngaire] #256671 08/24/23 01:56 PM
Ms Understood Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Safe travels home!
———————
Helen

Re: On the Silver Cloud in Greenland and Canada [Re: Ngaire] #256675 09/03/23 03:44 PM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
Just a few more pictures from the BAFFIN cruise.

On the last day in Kangerlussuaq we had 3 hour tour to an icefield. Initially the terrain was interesting and we were in a bumby tundra type bus. Once we got there we were amazed at this ice field. Huge as far as the eye could. Very had to capture this in pictures but I will try.

Doesn’t really capture how amazing this was to see.

Dessert in La Dame

Moderated by  KarenS 

Keene Luxury Travel Offers