Luxury Cruise Talk Logo

Keene Luxury Travel
800-856-1155 · 972-701-9292
Join Our Mailing List · Email us

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (seadog, Ngaire, DennisK, 1 invisible), 961 guests
Newest Members
DennisK, SuprDave, BarbD, johnsmithpmt, Juliehoover(41381 Registered Users)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Our World Cruise is coming to an end #214390 04/29/08 03:04 AM
Ray Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
There is a "Bon Voyage" cover over the bedding so I guess our time on the World Journey is coming to a close and we will disembark tomorrow in Ft. Lauderdale after being on the ship for 115 days while seeing 51 ports and 26 countries. Dreams can come do and they sure did for us when we visited the special places that we did.
I'm ready to go home but quite frankly I am at peace.

Thinking back, you will recall that Penny and I never discussed a WC trip, and that I started having a vision of doing one while Penny and I were working in our home office. I corresponded by email 2-3 times with my TA one morning and my final question was "Is there room for us" Ngaire responded "yes" so I told her to book it. I then stood up and told Penny I just booked us on a World Cruise. You can guess what her response was.

Then two weeks before w e were to leave on the WC I had a doctor's appointment because of a continued cough. Prior to leaving home, I experienced a rapid heart beat...nothing new...so I told my daughter to drop me off early at the doctor's office. They hooked me up to a EKG machine and shortly thereafter they were taking my clothes off and called an ambulance. My poor daughter who came back early from errands saw an ambulance in front and thought "No, can't be." Anyway out comes her Dad on a gurney. You can imagine her state of mind.

ER room. I'm comfortable and talk with Ngaire while hooked up to an IV.

Christmas is several days away so doctor recommends an operation after Christmas. So in I go. They stick a tube down my throat to my heart to measure electricity and another one up my groin to kill off part of my heart. No big deal. Takes about an hour, hour 1/2 and I go home. But no, not with my luck. All equipment fails in the operating room and they have to keep me under for 5 1/2 hours. They decide to keep me overnight. Good thing, I was out of it.

The next day we meet with the doctor and I ask "Can I go on a World Cruise"? He says sure. I'm glad but a bit disconcerted.

Two days before we leave for cruise my family doctor advises blood test reveals that my liver and kidneys are screwed up. He advised me to come in for a blood test and to call him once I get to Honolulu. I'm thinking that the gods don't want me on a world cruise.

All inclusive booze and everything on the ship but no alcohol crosses poor ol Ray's lips.. We reach Honolulu and I phone doctor. He says everything is fine, not to worry. The operation and all apparently threw my system out of whack for a short time. Whew! I right away treat myself to a scotch.

I'm not thru though. Cardio guys tells me to get an ING check. Don't want to have any nasty clots and tells me my score should be between 2-3. We check....too low. I then go to the ship's doctor time and time again, too low, too low, too low...too high, and then ok now. Do you know that blood thinner is made from rat poison. I don't like that idea!

Ok, the world is back on its axis but no, I blow a membrane in my eardrum when flying to the Taj Mahal and it bleeds. Docotor comes to hotel room and looks me over and gives me some medicine. I'm ok.

Yesterday, I'm back to the doctor because of some infection. He fixes me up. I'm ok.

Well, I beat the devil and wound up on this cruise and met some wonderful people and crew members. It's been a ball and have no regrets about anything. We will cherish the memories.

Cheers! Ray & Penny

Re: Our World Cruise is coming to an end #214391 04/29/08 04:23 AM
KarenS Offline
Ray, what a story! You appear to need more than one apple a day to keep the Dr. away!!
I am so glad that you and Penny got to experience a World cruise, I am sure the memories will last a lifetime!

Karen

Live long and prosper
Re: Our World Cruise is coming to an end #214392 04/29/08 04:23 AM
southernlady Offline
cruiser
cruiser
My goodness Ray, I had no idea your health kept rebelling! Talk about determination - you have it. I'm so glad you kept on. I'm sure those health challenges made every day on your WC more precious. Welcome home Ray and Penny!

Donna

I write about active travel for baby boomers: www.myitchytravelfeet.com
Re: Our World Cruise is coming to an end #214393 04/29/08 05:09 AM
cruisinfanatic Offline
cruiser
cruiser
WOW - what an adventure, and I'm not just talking about the cruise part!!! Glad everything is OK and you and Penny had a wonderful, memorable trip.
Welcome Home!

JoAnn
Re: Our World Cruise is coming to an end #214394 04/29/08 05:58 AM
Betty K Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Ray,
OMG! I had no idea that you had so many challenges to face during your journey.
I am so glad you and Penny had such a good time. Thanks for sharing it with us. I've loved your reports and pix.
cheer

Betty

[Linked Image from i4.photobucket.com]
Re: Our World Cruise is coming to an end #214395 04/29/08 07:59 AM
Jim B Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Good grief Ray! :eek:
What a story!
Hope you get everything in order
when you get home so you have zero problems
in the future!! Got more cruises to go on!! :woh:

Jim

Re: Our World Cruise is coming to an end #214396 04/29/08 08:12 AM
sedona Offline
cruiser
cruiser
With your attitude and Penny's fortitude, you two could beat any odds. I am glad the trip was all that you hoped it would be and that it has provided you with many, many beautiful memories. You both deserve the best!! Welcome home. I am sure your family can't wait to have Mom and Dad back stateside.

Re: Our World Cruise is coming to an end #214397 04/29/08 10:53 AM
Nancyp Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Wow Ray, what a story. I'm so glad that you and Penny had such a great trip and you are doing well.

almost welcome home and thanks for sharing your journey with all of us.

Best, Nancy

Re: Our World Cruise is coming to an end #214398 04/29/08 11:32 AM
C
Canadagal Offline
cruiser
cruiser
C
Ray and Penny,

Can't believe that you are on your way home tomorrow. Gosh how time does fly. I've enjoyed so much, traveling with you guys via computer....thanks for taking us all along on your journey! Sounds like you had the grace of God looking after you Ray the entire time and you could give a cat and it's 9 lives a run for the money. Look after yourself friend.....we all want you around for a very long time.
Pat

Re: Our World Cruise is coming to an end #214399 04/29/08 02:36 PM
Lee Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Hi you two: Can't believe it's all over. Thanks so much for all the great stories and photographs. Time for a rest! Lee

Re: Our World Cruise is coming to an end #214400 04/29/08 02:49 PM
joannapv Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Welcome home Ray and Penny! I enjoyed your reports and pixs - sorry Ray you experienced all those upsets but the WC was your well deserved reward.

Joanna
Re: Our World Cruise is coming to an end #214401 04/29/08 03:11 PM
Sue&TomInGeorgia Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Ray and Penny - welcome home. Most of all THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES of sharing your WC adventure with us! :)

Sue
"A vacation is having nothing to do and all day to do it in" Robert Orben
Re: Our World Cruise is coming to an end #214402 04/30/08 03:00 AM
RPM Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Ray and Penny

Welcome home...it seems like yesterday we followed the Voyager sailing out of SF.
What wonderful adventures you have had.
Have loved your reports and especially your pics.
Pehaps someday I can convince my Ray go on one.

Pat and Ray
Re: Our World Cruise is coming to an end #214403 04/30/08 03:59 AM
larry1365 Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Ray and Penny --

Welcome home...you had wonderful experiences...thanks for taking us along.

Larry

Re: Our World Cruise is coming to an end #214404 04/30/08 02:37 PM
JanMD Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Welcome home Ray and Penny. Can't wait to see the photos of Rhodes and Turkey. I shall be over there in 2 weeks.

Happy sailing,
Jan

Jan
Re: Our World Cruise is coming to an end #214405 04/30/08 04:43 PM
joannapv Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Jan I hope you have a great trip - well deserved! XXOO

Joanna
Re: Our World Cruise is coming to an end #214406 05/01/08 02:10 AM
Ray Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
Thanks for the welcome home!

Trees are budding, plants and flowers are beginning to appear and the grass is green.

Our middle daughter picked us up at the airport and brought us to our home where we were showered with hugs and kisses from our three grandchildren, ages 2, 4 & 7. What a joy to see their happy, beaming faces. And in the backyard our son-in-law was BBQing our meal.
There was a welcome home sign hanging from the kitchen light with wine placed below waitng to be tasted and it was. Yes, indeed, it was a very happy welcome home.

Jan...Hi to you Mom and sister and I'll be sure to upload Rhodes and Turnkey photos to my Smugmug site within the next few days.

Cheers! Ray & Penny

Re: Our World Cruise is coming to an end #214407 05/01/08 07:25 AM
petlover Offline
cruiser
cruiser
What a wonderful welcome home for you Ray & Penny!! We got home last night too....pets were all fine and so happy to see us. We had a wonderful time....so happy to see you two as always!! Can't wait to see all your pictures since I took so few.

Marcie

Re: Our World Cruise is coming to an end #214408 05/02/08 08:38 AM
M
McKeever Offline
cruiser
cruiser
M
Ray and Penny,

Stan and I had NO idea you were having so many problems. You and Penny were always smiling and upbeat you were an inspiration to us. It was a blessing to us to get to know you on the cruise and we hope the opportunity arises again in the4 near future.

We, too, are home, safe and well. My bronchitis has completely gone, thanks in part to the dry warm Arizona air. Stan is tired and is valiently forcing his way through four months of mail. Naturlly there are charges that don't belong there but never incorrect credits! That's the way life goes. My car license had expired so that was a high priority. It is good to be home and we are already looking forward to our next trip!

Happy cruising to all.

Ardis

none
Re: Our World Cruise is coming to an end #214409 05/04/08 05:12 PM
G
gf Offline
cruiser
cruiser
G
Ray and Penny,

Thanks SO much for taking us along on your wonderful adventure! Of course had no idea of all your problems, except the burst eardrum, which alone is cause for great distress! Penny's exercise class, no doubt, helped her deal with the stress of it all and helped her enjoy your cruise. (Just guessing here - am no exerciser (walk is a 4 letter word!)

Thanks for everything and wishing you a very healthy future!!

Another Kathy
Re: Our World Cruise is coming to an end #214410 05/09/08 12:50 PM
S
sealover Offline
cruiser
cruiser
S
Boy, Ray, Stan and I too didn't know that you had such problems before the WC. I thought I was in bad shape when I fell on the ice a few weeks before the WC and had to have 10 scalpes and 2 stitiches put in the back of my head. All is well that ends well and we were delighted that we had the opportunity to cruise with you and Penny. We got home Tuesday night after spending a week in Florida. 2 pieces of luggage were delivered today and the rest will be here tomorrow. Then the fun begins. Stay well and we hope to cruise with you again.

Re: Our World Cruise is coming to an end #214411 05/10/08 04:09 AM
Ray Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
Hi Elaine & Stan:

I presume you've already had your morning walk-about :>)

I remember you telling me about your dreadful fall. You obviously heal well both physically and mentally.

Went to see my doctor yest. and nurse suprised me by saying I had gained only 1/2 lbs during the WC. I couldn't believe it. And my blood pressure was the best it's been in ages. I better get back on a ship, huh.

Remember the story about me meeting Father Tony during dinner and found out he married my brother 50 years ago....today....as a matter of fact. Well I was talking to my other sister-in-law about Father Tony and it developed that years ago he took a group, including her, from Nebraska to Italy and the Vatican. She remembers him most fondly. I don't believe that these sister-in-laws knew each other at the time. What a small world.

Anyway, we are off to Nebraska next week for big brothers renewal of vows and a family gathering. It doesn't get any better than that.

Well ol chums, look forward to our bows crossing again sometime soon.

Cheers! Ray & Penny

Re: Our World Cruise is coming to an end #214412 05/10/08 04:23 PM
S
sealover Offline
cruiser
cruiser
S
Ray, see what ship board life can do for you. Better think about that 2010 WC that everyone is hoping will materialize. Glad your medical report was so good. Wish I had only gained 1/2 lb on the WC. It is a small world about Father Tony.By the way I had 10 staples put in my head not scalpes---my mistake.

Moderated by  KarenS 

Keene Luxury Travel Offers