Maria and Bob 715
Carolyn and Don 909
Jay and Carolin. 787
Peggy 609
Gerry and Ken 785
Kieth and Ashley. 717

Posted By: cruiseluv

Re: LOCKS Splendor Panama Canal - 04/24/18 09:19 PM

Congratulations Arlene on a great name for our cruise!

Please add Maria and Bob, 715
Posted By: Yallcruise

Re: LOCKS Splendor Panama Canal - 04/25/18 12:36 AM

Love the name Arlene. Can't wait to see the pin.
We are in cabin 909.
Carolyn and Don
Posted By: scubadiver

Re: LOCKS Splendor Panama Canal - 04/25/18 11:30 AM

Already counting down the days.

Jay and Carolin in cabin 787.
Posted By: petlover

Re: LOCKS Splendor Panama Canal - 04/25/18 01:07 PM

Marcie & Tom # 735
Posted By: pwolftx

Re: LOCKS Splendor Panama Canal - 04/25/18 05:21 PM

Jerry and Peggy 609
Posted By: Anna B.

Re: LOCKS Splendor Panama Canal - 04/26/18 02:56 AM

Kathy and Al #610
Posted By: jhp

Re: LOCKS Splendor Panama Canal - 04/26/18 06:04 AM

Olivia
Posted By: drib

Re: LOCKS Splendor Panama Canal - 04/26/18 07:21 PM

Is the LOCKS acronym etched in stone?

I didn't see the contest thread, but this would have been my offering:

Lord
Of
Xanadu

and

Benevolent
Angel
Guarding
Every
Lodger
Sailing

Just a thought ... maybe for the next one.

In Splendor did Kubla Khan,
A stately pleasure-dome decree.
Posted By: Tom G

Re: LOCKS Splendor Panama Canal - 04/27/18 07:24 PM

Hi everyone. After a lot of discussion we've decided to switch to this cruise from CHEERS. The transportation works better and it's during our anniversary. We look forward to sailing again with all of you.

Tom and Mona 858.
Posted By: Hambagahle

Re: LOCKS Splendor Panama Canal - 06/10/18 07:45 AM

I totally forgot that there would be a roll call here for the 14 March 20 cruise! Sorry about that...
Please add Gerry and Ken, 785 to the list

We are also celebrating our anniversary on the cruise (20/3 and it is our 55th...). Look forward to meeting everyone and finally (!) meeting Ngaire!!
Posted By: Ngaire

Re: LOCKS Splendor Panama Canal - 06/16/18 07:23 PM

Looking forward to having you onboard. Yes our meeting has been a long time coming.

Re: LOCKS Splendor Panama Canal - 08/08/18 02:50 PM

Got an email from Clay that the itinerary has changed. The Splendor now leaves from San Diego instead of Los Angeles. It probably doesn't matter to some but it's not good for us....grrrr.

Re: LOCKS Splendor Panama Canal - 08/08/18 10:33 PM

Did any other part of the itinerary change? We have not received an official notice yet. This would mean that we would sail north out of San Diego to Catalina before heading south to Cabo. Not a game changer for us, but not as convenient.

Re: LOCKS Splendor Panama Canal - 08/09/18 03:13 AM

I think it is just the embarkation portthat changed.

Re: LOCKS Splendor Panama Canal - 08/09/18 11:20 PM

Ngaire, do you know if the air credit changed?

The Regent web site used to say $350, but now says up to $1000 savings - which could still mean $350. But booking your own air into SAN is generally more expensive than LAX.

There are also many fewer direct flights here - you don't want to book nonstop because eventually, you'll run out of fuel - but east coasters out of New York, Boston, and Southern Florida should be able to find one. If not, it's about $200 for a car service from LAX, and about $150 from SNA (Orange County).

The departure time changed from 11pm in Los Angeles to midnight in San DIego. It's a pity that the sail-away is not at sunset because it's very pretty sailing past Point Loma and Cabrillo National Monument. On the other hand, maybe I can have family on board for dinner.

Re: LOCKS Splendor Panama Canal - 08/11/18 06:31 AM

I cannot check this from the ship and it is Saturday so no one is in the office. However I do not think the change from LAX to San Diego will change the air credit.

Posted By: Freddie

Re: LOCKS Splendor Panama Canal - 12/22/18 03:53 AM

Yikes! I just discovered that we had not yet joined this roll call, even though we booked the cruise before it was even finalized. Clearly, too much other stuff on the mind of someone who is barely dealing with stuff on the mind. In any event, Pat & I will be joining all of you and are so emphatically looking forward to cruising again with so many of our cruising buddies. We so wish that it wasn't more than a year away. Arlene, please add us to the roll call list. Cheers, Fred
Posted By: Mrs. Marc

Re: LOCKS Splendor Panama Canal - 12/22/18 12:07 PM

Have added you and Pat. Unfortunately I removed Marc and I as we had canceled this some time ago, but I had forgotten I was the topic starter. Now I am really bummed knowing you and Pat will be aboard, we have been wanting to cruise again with you both for so long!

Re: LOCKS Splendor Panama Canal - 12/22/18 02:44 PM

Welcome Pat and Fred !!!

Arlene & Marc, you're about to give us a complex (haha)....we are on POP2IT together (you cancel); we are on PUFFIN together (you cancel); we are on LOCKS together (you cancel). Maybe you just need to come visit us in SoCa. cheer

Then again, signing up and ultimately cancelling is nothing new to us...we likely hold the record, with Kathy & Al close behind wonder Stuff happens.
Posted By: AshD

Re: LOCKS Splendor Panama Canal - 02/25/19 02:56 PM

Hi everyone!
So much has happened since our last cruise in 2016! We have moved from Delaware to St Louis and Love it here.
Keith and I will also be joining LOCKS in Suite 717.
(The cruise will be an appropriate reward for weathering our mid-life upheaval LOL)
We will miss you, Arlene and Marc!
Cheers, 🥂
Ash

Re: LOCKS Splendor Panama Canal - 02/25/19 07:35 PM

Ash, so nice to hear from you and look forward to seeing you both again!!
Posted By: Yallcruise

Re: LOCKS Splendor Panama Canal - 07/20/19 02:43 AM

The excursions are open for booking. I just selected ours. There are some very interesting excursions to choose from.
Carolyn

Re: LOCKS Splendor Panama Canal - 07/20/19 07:33 PM

I did mine also. I love all the animal and nature offerings. Amazing how time moves so quickly cruises just creep up and it is time to book excursionsz1
Posted By: Anna B.

Re: LOCKS Splendor Panama Canal - 07/22/19 02:47 PM

Sadly we canceled this cruise awhile ago and forgot to ask to be taken off the roll call. Our biggest regret is not being able to spend time with such a great group!

Re: LOCKS Splendor Panama Canal - 09/03/19 02:42 AM

I have edited the rollcall as of today. Let me know any other changes. Wish we were going with all of you!

Re: LOCKS Splendor Panama Canal - 10/18/19 08:47 PM

Kind of late to booking excursions today. Got a couple but most were waitlisted. How about others on this cruise ?

Re: LOCKS Splendor Panama Canal - 10/19/19 01:07 PM

Do not worry most of the wait listed tours end up clearing.

Re: LOCKS Splendor Panama Canal - 10/20/19 12:09 AM

I noticed that a tour to Tikal, in Guatemala, is available now, whereas it was not when tours first became available for booking. I don't know if there are any others that came online late, but y'all who booked early, may want to go online again and see if everything is still to your liking.

Re: LOCKS Splendor Panama Canal - 10/20/19 01:30 PM

Yikes, the tour to Tikal cost $759. pp and is 9 hours. We like short, free excursions. We'll be fine just doing our own thing.

Re: LOCKS Splendor Panama Canal - 10/20/19 05:05 PM

petlover, my point was that there may be new tours since some folks first booked. But I'll write more about Tikal later.

I have a program that compares files, which I've never used for PDF files before, but it turns out that it's great for that. On the left is the shore excursion PDF from July 8, and on the right is a file I downloaded today.

http://bigdogfoto.com/shoreexcursioncompare.pdf

All the Catalina tours are new, of course, and there is one false difference because QUZ-010 is on a different page. But you can clearly see that QUZ-011 (Tikal) and QUZ-012 (Antigua Hop-on Hop Off) are both new. And also interesting, you can see that some prices have changed on the premium tours - some lower, some higher. Some now have a price added, but I suspect that they were always premium but the price wasn't available on that earlier PDF.

That file won't be there forever.

Now, Tikal is expensive, in most part because you have to fly there ... and it has to be a charter because the regularly scheduled flights won't align with Splendor's schedule. But in Guatemala, that's the Big Kahuna! (Would you travel to Peru and not spend extra for Machu Picchu? Would you travel to Queensland and not spend extra to see the Great Barrier Reef?) Well, this is cheaper because you're going to be in Guatemala anyway. Elevation for Tikal is about the same as Denver - and about half that of Machu Picchu. Tikal is historical, it's vast, and watching this video, it looks pretty great!

There are also critters there.

http://www.tikalpark.com/#!/residents2

Mostly importantly, Tikal is free (included) because Ngaire is going to pay for it! Approximately three weeks before we leave San Diego, she's going to send me a check for about the exact cost. (Note, this cost analysis is just for one person, but there's no way my wife would go on a nine hour tour anyway!)

The issue for me, about Tikal, is will Regent cancel it if there are not enough passengers going? I really don't want to give up my other tour until I know that.
Posted By: Marc

Re: LOCKS Splendor Panama Canal - 10/20/19 05:54 PM

We went to Tikal on FUN2 and it was definitely worth it; of course we all had lots of shipboard credit. It is a long day but large parts of it due to transportation. It wasn't too difficult to climb.

Marc
Posted By: RachelG

Re: LOCKS Splendor Panama Canal - 10/21/19 12:52 AM

We too have been to Tikal as a regent ship excursion. For us, it was worth every penny, but it is not for the faint of heart. We flew in a small plane, a Cessna I think. Just us, another couple, a crew member from the excursion staff, and the pilot. Landed on a dirt runway, then we were transported to the site by Jeep. You do need to be reasonably fit.

Re: LOCKS Splendor Panama Canal - 12/04/19 02:44 AM

I hate to change the subject, but just ask, where’s everyone staying the night before the cruise? Would love to meet up with some of you for dinner if you’re coming in a day early! So many favorite old cruise friends on this one.

Re: LOCKS Splendor Panama Canal - 12/04/19 10:17 AM

Coming in on the day of departure Olivia.

Re: LOCKS Splendor Panama Canal - 12/04/19 07:31 PM

Olivia, We'll likely take Amtrak from Fullerton to San Diego then Uber to the pier. I can't wait to see you !!!

Re: LOCKS Splendor Panama Canal - 12/05/19 05:08 AM

I was looking on line and there appears to e a Residence Inn and a Spring Hill suites right across the street from the pier.

Re: LOCKS Splendor Panama Canal - 12/05/19 06:38 AM

Are you and Mona still on the cruise? Oh goody!

Re: LOCKS Splendor Panama Canal - 12/05/19 03:48 PM

Ken and I will be at the Manchester Grand Hyatt from late Thursday 12th on... anyone else staying there? Or nearby ?

Re: LOCKS Splendor Panama Canal - 12/31/19 06:01 PM

Hi everyone. Mona and I have decided to fly in the night before the cruise. We'll be staying at the SpringHill Suites Downtown/Bayfront which is right across the street from the cruise terminal. Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Re: LOCKS Splendor Panama Canal - 01/05/20 04:35 AM

Hi Tom, I too will be at that hotel. Tried to send you a PM but not sure it went thru! Olivia
Posted By: KarenS

Re: LOCKS Splendor Panama Canal - 01/29/20 04:09 AM

Yet another new favorite pin!!!

[Linked Image from img.photobucket.com]

Re: LOCKS Splendor Panama Canal - 01/29/20 07:59 PM

Is anyone else planning to ship luggage to San Diego (luggage free.com) ?? I We're considering shipping 1 large bag since we're going to take Amtrak from our Orange County home to the port so we don't have to lug it on and off. We've used Luggage Free several times and they were excellent.

On a previous cruise Tom & I shipped a bag from CA and Kathy & Al shipped a bag from Ohio. Since they all end up with the same port agent, we were able to link both reservations together and we both saved $$.

Cute pin Ngaire...love it !
Posted By: southernlady

Re: LOCKS Splendor Panama Canal - 01/30/20 04:19 AM

Marcie, Alan and I recently road the train from San Diego to LA, after a cruise. We had one big bag and rolled it the three blocks (along with rolling carryon and personal bag for each of us) and it wasn't hard at all. But to check the bag on Amtrak, it can't weigh more than 50 lbs (must be locked) or they make you schlepp it on the train yourself (not advised). We shipped the bag to San Diego for the beginning of the cruise using Luggage Forward.
Posted By: AshD

Re: LOCKS Splendor Panama Canal - 02/09/20 04:05 AM

Hi Hi 👋
Keith and I are arriving the afternoon of the 13th and are staying at the Airport Hilton on Harbor Island. Got a great deal with full brekkie and shuttle to the pier.
We are so ready for this holiday, and to see so many friends again (Hi Marcie and Tom! 😁)
Cheers!
Ash

Re: LOCKS Splendor Panama Canal - 02/10/20 12:47 AM

Just so those on the LCT board to know the embarkation night will be the KLT cocktail party. After the life boat drill. You will get an email about this once the venue and time is set. Jason Montague will be at the KLT party as he has been on the ship and will stay over for our cocktail party. Clay, Brooke and Connor, Nancy Golden, Julie Harris from our staff will all be there as well. They are all debarking that day. Thought it was nice to have the party when they are still on the ship. Unusual but it will work just fine.

Re: LOCKS Splendor Panama Canal - 02/10/20 06:53 AM

I’ll look forward to seeing them all, Ngaire! Especially your son and sweet daughter in law Brooke!

Re: LOCKS Splendor Panama Canal - 02/10/20 03:44 PM

That's great Ngaire, good idea. It will be GREAT seeing everyone !

Re: LOCKS Splendor Panama Canal - 02/18/20 04:47 PM

Ken and I really look forward to meeting you Ngaire!! See you on the 14th !
Gerry

Re: LOCKS Splendor Panama Canal - 02/25/20 06:20 PM

Woo Hoo...just got approved for a guest day pass for Saturday, March 14 embarkation day when the Splendor is in San Diego. We'll take Amtrak there and back. We look forward to seeing friends on this cruise and the gorgeous new ship.

Re: LOCKS Splendor Panama Canal - 02/26/20 02:55 PM

Marcie:
I have not heard anything from Regent on my request to smuggle guest aboard. Called and was told that they are a little behind schedule. How did they notify you that you passed inspection?

Re: LOCKS Splendor Panama Canal - 02/26/20 04:51 PM

We were originally on this cruise but took the "Bump" offer Regent offered us and switched to the Vancouver to Los Angeles cruise. I emailed Jennifer at KLT requesting a guest pass so we could come and visit on the day of embarkation (help our friends onboard unpack... haha).

I received an email with confirmation from Jennifer 3 days later.

I'm not sure just how it works. We've had friends and family come on board many times when we were the passengers. It always worked for us. Maybe you need to contact Jennifer. Email her : jennifer@ keenetravel.com
If approved, make sure your guests have photo ID etc.

Re: LOCKS Splendor Panama Canal - 02/26/20 09:35 PM

Marcie:

Thanks for the info. I just got my email from Regent approving my guests.

I'm not a KLT customer, just someone who has been watching and using the board here for many many years. I started back when Regent had the Paul Gauguin. That was our first Regent cruise. I got great info both from the board and from the KLT web site. I am looking forward to this cruise as it it is the first time I will get to meet many of the people who have given me great advice over the years as well as the opportunity to meet and thank Ngaire.

I saw that you had jumped ship. Glad to see you will be on board for the embarkation. I will look for you and introduce myself. Hope to see you on board.

Jay (scuba diver)

Re: LOCKS Splendor Panama Canal - 02/27/20 05:06 PM

Just got an email this morning that tears the guest invitation out of my hands and rips it up in front of me. Just a little disappointing after just getting the approval yesterday.

Jay

Re: LOCKS Splendor Panama Canal - 02/27/20 05:09 PM

Yep, I just received this letter. We had already bought our train tickets. We haven't been anywhere near Asia in years or even Europe. BUMMER !!

Dear Travel Partner and Valued Guests,

Recently we sent a Visitor Request approval for your upcoming cruise. In an abundance of caution due to the current situation with Coronavirus, the decision has been made to stop all scheduled and pending ship visits for the foreseeable future.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience of canceling this ship visit. Please note, the visitor confirmation letter you previously received is no longer valid and will not be honored at the pier.

Thank you for your patience and understanding as we manage through this evolving situation.

Regent Seven Seas Cruises,

Special Services
Regent Seven Seas Cruises
1401 NW 136th Avenue, Suite 101 | Sunrise, FL 33323
www.RSSC.com

image002.png
Posted By: Davefr

Re: LOCKS Splendor Panama Canal - 02/27/20 06:35 PM

I just received a notice about the visit cancellation. Disappointing but not surprising. I guess Joan and I can come down to the pier and wave to everyone. bonvoyage

Re: LOCKS Splendor Panama Canal - 02/27/20 06:58 PM

I'm not seeing the difference between humans coming on board for hours or humans coming on for 2 weeks. Seems like they can take temperatures or look at passports to ensure you haven't visited certain countries within the last several months?

Re: LOCKS Splendor Panama Canal - 02/27/20 07:06 PM

Conveniently just after all of the guests came on board for the big party in Miami. Looking for streamers that they used to throw in the old days. My daughter and future SIL will be standing on the dock as we sail.

Jay

Re: LOCKS Splendor Panama Canal - 03/08/20 03:52 AM

Arlene, please remove my name from the roll call. Thanks, Olivia

Re: LOCKS Splendor Panama Canal - 03/08/20 04:00 AM

Done Olivia!

Re: LOCKS Splendor Panama Canal - 03/08/20 09:08 PM

I'm sorry to say that Tom and Mona also will not be on this cruise. We'll miss everyone.

Re: LOCKS Splendor Panama Canal - 03/12/20 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by petlover
We were originally on this cruise but took the "Bump" offer Regent offered us and switched to the Vancouver to Los Angeles cruise. I emailed Jennifer at KLT requesting a guest pass so we could come and visit on the day of embarkation (help our friends onboard unpack... haha).

I received an email with confirmation from Jennifer 3 days later.

I'm not sure just how it works. We've had friends and family come on board many times when we were the passengers. It always worked for us. Maybe you need to contact Jennifer. Email her : jennifer@ keenetravel.com
If approved, make sure your guests have photo ID etc.

Marcie, you taking the bump offer was the smartest financial decision you have ever made - BRAVO!

Re: LOCKS Splendor Panama Canal - 03/15/20 03:02 PM

Thanks Marc, I agree.... Yesterday we got a very nice bonus when Tom looked at his Chase Visa statement and saw a credit of $8,359 (or something like that.) I'm so thankful I was a lucky one to get through to Regent and jump on the bump offer. Now I just hope things will be good for TOTEM, the cruise we exchanged for, Vancouver to LA cruise on the Mariner in September.

BTW, I'm curious....Once passengers are off the Regent, or any ships...where do the ships go? Guessing they must dock somewhere.
Posted By: SusanH

Re: LOCKS Splendor Panama Canal - 03/15/20 04:06 PM

I heard that Disney is taking the 3 ships that are in the Atlantic (the 4th is already on the way to San Diego) to their private island, Castaway Cay. They will let one dock every third day for the crew to get off and enjoy the island. The other days they will be anchored offshore and cleaning. Nice way to treat the employees.

Re: LOCKS Splendor Panama Canal - 03/15/20 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by SusanH
I heard that Disney is taking the 3 ships that are in the Atlantic (the 4th is already on the way to San Diego) to their private island, Castaway Cay. They will let one dock every third day for the crew to get off and enjoy the island. The other days they will be anchored offshore and cleaning. Nice way to treat the employees.

And don't forget all the fresh and frozen provisions that need to be consumed by the remaining crew onboard; They deserve them.
Posted By: Ms Understood

Re: LOCKS Splendor Panama Canal - 03/15/20 08:40 PM

Way to go Disney! I guess they can put the crew heading for San Diego up at the Grand California hotel since the Parks are closed.
Friends who live in Miami tell me there are an enormous number of ships docked in the port and many crew are without compensation and have no where to go. We are so disappointed to have our trips cancelled but can’t imagine how devastating this situation is for all those people who work aboard these ships.
——————
Helen

Re: LOCKS Splendor Panama Canal - 03/15/20 11:07 PM

Helen you are so right - our travel may be cancelled but the crew will really be hit hard. I have been thinking about them today. They depend on these jobs not just for themselves but their families at home.
© 2020 Luxury Cruise Talk