Keene Luxury Travel

WRANGEL SEA MAIL

Posted By: Ngaire

WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 07/21/18 04:39 PM

New SEAMAIL thread ready for Wrangel so we do not have posts in many different places. I am packing today - we leave on Monday, 2 nights in Anchorage and the fly to Nome and board the Silver Explorer. Weather looks good right now in Alaska for the Levins, Halls and Burnsides. I checked the seas in the Arctic wish we there now. Really calm seas. Lets hope it continues. I will never forget the PERFECT weather we had in Greenland last year - unbelievable.

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 07/23/18 12:50 PM

Leslie sent me some pictures from Alaska the weather looked spectacular. We leave today and it is fine today but tomorrow is supposed to rain. Nome however looks sunny and the passage weather (sea waves and weather) looks great as far out as it goes right now which is July 30th. Looking good!
Posted By: Leslie B

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 07/23/18 01:48 PM

Our pre cruise so far has been fantastic. We are the only two people who signed up so we have a private tour. I’m pretty surprised that they didn’t cancel it due to lack of participation, but we are thrilled. Our guide is driving us around in a roomy Suburban and we have total flexibility.

I managed to get a couple of pix uploaded. One from Talkeetna and one from the train.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Yesterday we drove to Talkeetna - we had a little bit of time to wander around and walked down to the river for some pix of Denali off in the distance. Then we boarded the train to Denali, seated in one of the dome cars. The car was maybe 1/3 full, which surprised me. I just assumed everything would be packed this time of year. It couldn’t have been a more gorgeous day. Sun and scenery the whole way. Our guide took our luggage and drove on to the park where she picked us up when we arrived.

we spent some time at the visitor center, checked in to the hotel and then had a wine & cheese reception with a 90 minute talk by a local adventurer mountain climber who told us about his ascent of Denali and other local stories. He is now an organic farmer during the short summer season, supplying local hotels and restaurants with fresh produce. In the winter he spends time sailing in the Caribbean. He was fascinating. It was a bit surreal to be the only people attending. Felt like royalty.

Today we spend the day in the park and if the weather holds we take an afternoon flight seeing excursion. Hopefully I can remember how to shrink my photos down so I can upload some later.

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 07/24/18 08:22 PM

We are now in Anchorage, arrived last night. Was not sure where everyone was staying. We picked the Sheraton as we were able to use miles. Did not expect anyone else to be here as it is out of the main downtown area.

Been on email all morning, Ken went walkabout. He found a little restaurant and we were on our way out for lunch when we heard. KEN!! There was Russ. So Marc, Arlene, Russ and Susan are all here. They are flying to Nome this afternoon. Tonight they are having dinner with June and Ralph in Nome. So I can see the 4.30 pm Ralph and Marc (whose excuse for starting cocktails early) is claiming the only corner in the lounge that is just about big enough for the group.

Ah good times and past memories to follow.

We fly to Nome tomorrow. Tonight we are eating at Simon and Seafort’s restaurant. Love this place. We are meeting Fred and Darla for dinner. Looking forward to this meal. Sour dough bread and Halibut with crab. Like to come here every time I am in Anchorage.
Posted By: Ms Understood

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 07/24/18 08:58 PM

Wishing all a great trip! Ngaire, pLease say hi to Fred and darla for me!
——————-
Helen

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 07/25/18 04:55 AM

Picture perfect day in Denali yesterday. We took the park tour all the way to the end to Katishna Roadhise, but I guess the Levins and Halls were off fly fishing. We saw moose, caribou, plus 6 grizzly bears. The Denali driver/guide was one of the best guides we’ve ever had. Super knowledge plus a sense of humor. We had lunch at the Roadhouse, free time plus a sled dog activity, and then flew back. Fabulous day.

Pix of the mountain during the day. Will post some flight pix too.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 07/26/18 01:00 AM

We are on the ship!

Familiar faces amongst the expedition team always nice to see. Lifeboat drill is over, we are unpacked and ready to start this new adventure. Fun seeing everyone again.

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 07/27/18 10:26 AM

So we arrived in our first port, Providenia. Supposed to be cleared by 1.00 pm but that was delayed and it appeared for a while we would not get cleared at all. Finally at 4.00 pm we got the announcement we were cleared. It took six hours.

We went straight to the cultural center for a local show. I really enjoyed the show. It was varied with adorable kids performing. One little boy was probably about four and he did so well. Nice costuming as well. One girl had bright red hair and very white skin. She stood out with all the others who were mostly Inuits.

[Linked Image]

A pretty depressing town from our point of view but the people seemed happy lots of people out and about and saying hello. It was a nice stop so happy we got ashore.

Two landings tomorrow. Weather is great.

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 07/27/18 10:24 PM

Twisted my knee a bit - darn it. Felt pretty good today so I think all will be well. So I decided to take a day off today to give it a rest.

Super calm seas barely a ripple in the ocean. But very foggy. Danger of brown bears here and visibility was about 500 yards. So the long hike was abandoned but everyone could still go ashore to see a ceremonial site and whale bones that I guess decorate the site. Not very cold in the 40’s and zero wind.

As I am writing this a whale came up right next to the ship full body and flute. A WOW. Running down to get my coat.

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 07/29/18 02:17 AM

Yesterday was whales, whales and more whales. Humpbacks and grey whales. The local Russian rangers put up a tent and offered food, including walrus meat. This was my stay onboard day but I thought about going ashore. However, the walrus meat was just not quite appealing enough.

Woke up this morning to a stunningly beautiful day. Sun shining in calm water. We did a zodiac cruise around the bird cliffs and saw two waterfalls. On the way back to the ship we saw a sea lion and it is unusual for them to be this far north.

A hearts game was in process when “Orcas ahead” was announced. We all raced out and we caught glimpses of them. The second zodiac cruise was in process and some of those zodiacs got fabulous views of the orcas quite close. Very exciting for them.

Now we are off to Uelen village. A town of 700 people. Located at the base of a hill with snow on the hillside and a beach in front of the town. Barely a ripple in the water. What a day!!!

Internet is on and off not sure if Ken can get pictures posted but he will try.
Posted By: RachelG

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 07/29/18 02:45 AM

Wow, I hope the whales and orcas hang around for us.

And I would even be up for trying walrus meat, as long as it is cooked. It has to be better than whale blubber, which is the most awful thing I have ever placed in my mouth. Though the putrified shark in Iceland was a close second.

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 07/29/18 09:32 AM

Uelen village was neat. Mostly because of the locals. We landed on a very rocky beach with little children everywhere. We wandered up to the children’s play area where the kids were playing.
One little old lady with one tooth was hugging everyone and trying to communicate. We took a picture with her. I think they were more interested in us than we were with them.

[Linked Image]

The locals gave a cultural show on the beach. Then we walked down to the museum to see the museum of ivory carvings. They were really exquisite. It was VERY HOT. I had on a light jacket and short sleeve T-shirt and I was burning up. Cannot believe the weather we are having,

This evening after the recap they announced we were surrounded by whales. Constant blows and flutes in every direction. We cannot believe the amount of whales that were we were seeing. Absolutely amazing.

June, Ralph, Ken and I did Hot Rocks tonight. Weather was great and the food excellent. Whales blows and flutes to watch.

Tomorrow we land at a place the ship and none of the expedition team have been to before. Then in the afternoon another zodiac cruise.

Posted By: Marc

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 07/29/18 10:25 AM

Delayed again. Ship avoiding any ice stopping in every village on the Chokotka coast We will make it to Wrangel but the Medvezhiy Islands are now highly unlikely. Original revised schedule blamed on refueling; will not make initial stop in Pevek so Silversea reasons now suspect. Hopefully some explanation tomorrow.

Cruise is great. Just had room service movie night with Russ and Susan.

Edited to add: good news; we can extend Wrangel Island if we can’t reach Medvezhiy Islands. Our permit is not limited to three days.

Marc

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 07/30/18 10:24 AM

Interesting briefing tonight ; we were told that we were going no farther west than Vankarem. I asked about the two fuel stops in Pevek. Brad started that pevek was currently closed but not a problem as we left nome with 14 days fuel; only problem is that this is a 19 day cruise.

Polar bears and seals today a nice start; hopefully many more beats in days to come.

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 07/30/18 10:29 AM

This morning at 6.00 am. “Hate to wake you but there are two no make it three polar bears on the ice. Bounced out of bed and up to the open deck. I never saw them as they were so hard to see on the ice and a bit far away. However those with good cameras got good pictures. I did spot a walrus on the ice.

At one point a humpback whale surfaced between the ship and the ice, very close. So it was still a successful morning. This delayed us of course so the landing was put off until this afternoon. We did see pictures in the theatre and all three bears were in great shape and looked well fed.

They sent some of the expedition team to shore and the rangers said they saw two polars bears today so no hikes further afield as we must stay together and not too far from the zodiacs.

Happy about all these polar bears. This is definitely polar bear country. Which is hard to believe when we were so hot just yesterday.

Just got internet back. Zodiac cruises around an island tomorrow where the Russian rangers say there will be polar bears on the island. Whether we will see them is another story.

Lots of heavy ice around which is unusual but hopefully it is breaking up with the sun and warm temperatures. Plus winds are coming (it has been really calm) which help move the ice as well. Time will tell.

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 07/30/18 09:48 PM

Having trouble cannot post pictures. SmugMug is blocked. So we sent two pictures to Julie and will send more in the future. She posted them on an earlier thread as they were pictures from Uelen island also the dance troop at Provideniya.

Plus we have no idea when we will have or will not have internet.
Posted By: petlover

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 07/30/18 10:16 PM

Seeing all the whales and polar bears sounds so wonderful. Love the picture of Ngaire & June with the old lady...maybe a good place for someone just out of dental school to start a practice. Keep having a great time kids.

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 07/31/18 07:16 PM

Uelen Village pictures from Ken H.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 07/31/18 07:19 PM

Yttygran Island, Russia - pictures by Ken H.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 07/31/18 07:22 PM

Proliv Senyavina, Russia - pictures by Ken H.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 07/31/18 07:27 PM

Cape Dezhnev - pictures by Ken H.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 07/31/18 07:29 PM

First Polar Bear sighting from very far away - pictures by Ken H.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 07/31/18 10:01 PM

Had a lot of fun last night at hot rocks. Our group was joined by Luke, Robin and Corey of the expedition team. I had a great meal, filet, four shrimps and a lamb chop. Finally figured out how to cook properly on a hot rock. We will send pictures to Julie to post.

I opened the drapes this morning to see the weather and two whales were close to the ship. They obliged by diving and we saw two nice flukes right from our cabin. Beautiful day again, calm seas, blue sky and sunshine. Today we are visiting Vankarem. A village of 700 people and we are the first cruise ship to visit this village. I love these remote places so looking forward to this landing.

This morning they announced a polar bear in the water swimming close to the ship and very visible. All you could see was the head but no idea where he was going. No land or ice flow in sight. They can swim long distances.
Posted By: seadog

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 07/31/18 11:04 PM

If Michael is still onboard, please give him a hug from Alice and me. We met him on the PG in 2005 when we did a b2b, then he was still on it in 2008. He was on the Silver Explorer when we did WALRUS last year.

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 08/01/18 03:49 AM

Kim all pictures are blocked so we cannot see any graphics on LCT. Not met anyone I remember called Michael but if you will embed the picture in an email I may be able to see it that way. We keep thinking we will totally lose internet but it goes and comes back constantly.

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 08/01/18 03:54 AM

Vankarem was great. The expedition staff saw three polar bears on land and the bears all went into the water. So we were able to go ashore. Only 200 people live here. In the months of October to December they can see around 200 polar bears on the ice surrounding the town. Never had a polar bear attack.

The kindergarten kids were great. Our Russian guide was the head of the hunting committee and really a manly man. We had the Russian interpreter from the ship who did a great job. The village was clean with nice small wooden houses. They had a tiny greenhouse to grow vegetables in the summer. They were fishing from the shore with nets and catching really nice salmon.

It was a very interesting experience I really liked the morning. Now we are heading to Wrangel Island. Still a ton of ice around Wrangel Island and we are hoping it will break up before we get there.

Great dinner tonight, rack of lamb outstanding.

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 08/01/18 03:18 PM

Hot Rocks Dining on the Silver Explorer and a Group Photo

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 08/01/18 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Ngaire
Kim all pictures are blocked so we cannot see any graphics on LCT. Not met anyone I remember called Michael but if you will embed the picture in an email I may be able to see it that way. We keep thinking we will totally lose internet but it goes and comes back constantly.

Thanks, Ngaire. I sent the photo. He’s tall, thin. Filipino waiter or doing something in the dining room. His wife is Daisy, who was also on the PG until they got married and had children.

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 08/03/18 10:18 AM

Did not make it to Wrangel Island on first attempt due to ice. Second attempt aborted due to medical emergency. Now heading towards Alaska coast to meet up with coast guard helicopter tomorrow night. Wrangel totally off plan; will learn revised plan tomorrow.

Marc

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 08/03/18 02:06 PM

Sorry for the changes in your itinerary and what a shame to have a medical emergency on board. Hopefully all will work out well for you Wrangelers.

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 08/03/18 03:36 PM

Disappointed for you! What an awful place to suffer a medical emergency. Looks like a long way to go to get any real help. Hope that person is ok.
———————-
Helen

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 08/04/18 07:14 AM

Medical evacuation was successful. It only took 15 minutes to get him into the helicopter. So once that was accomplished we turned around and we are heading back to the ice edge to go looking for polar bears. Will take us a day to get back into that area. It has been rocking and rolling but now we changed direction it is not as bumpy.

The weather forecast is good for our ice cruising so we have our fingers crossed for some great days around the ice.

Special birthday dinner for Dave tonight. He ordered a special meal last night so it should be fun.
Posted By: KarenS

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 08/04/18 03:40 PM

Posting for Marc:

[Linked Image]

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 08/04/18 11:28 PM

Fabulous dinner last night. Food was fantastic best filet mignon ever. We are finally out of the rough sea and back around the mainland of Russia. Sun is shining again, sea is calm and we are heading to the ice edge to look for polar bears. Hope we have a successful afternoon.

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 08/05/18 12:59 AM

We headed in the wrong direction; no ice; no polar bear. Trying to recover now. Captain will cut off the search sometime due to fuel; frustrating. This will probably go down as biggest waste of money of any cruise. Of course, if we see lots of bears I will edit this post.

Marc

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 08/06/18 07:48 PM

After the medical evacuation we headed back to the ice edge to try and find wildlife. The ice had moved a long way from when we left it. So we kept going further North and West back towards Wrangel Island trying to find the ice edge. Then came the announcement we would make another attempt to reach Wrangel Island.

This morning we arrived at Wrangel Island. But although we could see it we could not land. I think it was about 10 miles to shore. The ice was too thick even for the zodiacs to reach all the way to shore. It was very calm and we did a zodiac cruise around the ice. We got very close to two walrus hall outs. There was a sighting of a polar bear but we just got a quick glimpse and he was gone.

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 08/06/18 09:35 PM

No reason to edit my previous post; this now goes down as the biggest waste of money of any cruise.

As Ngaire reported, we did make it back to Wrangel yesterday morning; beautiful sail in. There was a band of ice around the bay. We did not sail that far into bay; Brad said later that there was only two meters of water under the keel in the bay and the Captain did not want to take any chances. Although the zodiac ride around walruses was fantastic, I believe that was the only time the Captain was ever considering in Wrangel. Our refueling has been moved to Anadyr on 10 AND 11 August and it is three full sea days to get from Wrangel to Anadyr; therefore the latest we could have left from Wrangel is sometime on today 7 August.

We finally squeezed the rest of the itinerary out of Brad last night. 7 Aug at sea, 8 Aug back to Yttagran Island area to search for a walrus bailout; 9 Aug at sea enroute to Anadyr with potential of one or two short stops; 10 and early 11 Aug Anadyr with "possible" excursion; 11 and 12 Aug at sea enroute Nome arriving in Nome 12 Aug for "city tour" or maybe chance to do gold panning.

Silversea corporate planning (including Al Gore sea ice mentality), Silversea corporate refusal to take this ship through any real ice; and Russian bureaucracy have made this the worst cruise ever. I strongly recommend against taking next year's Northeast Passage cruise on this ship or ANY Silver Explorer trip that could encounter ice.

Voyage Journals are no longer posted online by Silversea Expeditions; I am in process of compiling complete log of what we have done and will post once trip is completed.

Marc

PS These are my opinions only.
Posted By: lonestarlady

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 08/07/18 01:00 AM

Definitely sounds very disappointing Marc, to say the least...It will be interesting to see if they offer you any compensation at all.

I do hope we have better luck on our Antarctica cruise!!
Posted By: Anna B.

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 08/07/18 01:10 AM

Marc, Arlene and all the rest of you Wranglers, I am so very sorry to hear this cruise has been less than successful. I feel bad because I know how excited you all have been and how much planning and thought has gone into this adventure! Enjoy each other's company and I hope you have some good days left on your cruise!
Posted By: Ralph W.

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 08/07/18 01:15 AM

Antarctica is very different. No Russia permissions are required which was an underlying issue to everything done on this cruise. While some of the landing sites may need to be slightly modified due to sea conditions etc one will always see the penguins and the other sites to see.
Wrangel is conditional on the ice where Antarctica does not have near the same issues. Some ice can be incontered in the Waddell sea but there are several alternate sites that can be accessed.

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 08/07/18 02:56 AM

I’m so sorry this cruise has turned into such a (pricey) dud! At least you all had some good company and you do get to put some pins in your travel maps.
————————
Helen

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 08/07/18 04:46 AM

Thanks Ralph!

And Alice and I also feel sad for all on WRANGEL.
Posted By: jbittle

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 08/07/18 06:32 AM

Marc, In case you miss the animals, here are some from the Kamchatka Peninsula from 2014, shortly after you got off the NW Passage.
http://s1209.photobucket.com/user/jbittle/media/Walrus_zpsv5wojemi.jpg.html?filters[user]=119510388&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=3
http://s1209.photobucket.com/user/jbittle/media/Seals_zpsvk9momsl.jpg.html?filters[user]=119510388&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=2
http://s1209.photobucket.com/user/jbittle/media/Bear_zpsgz72ktyh.jpg.html?filters[user]=119510388&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=1
http://s1209.photobucket.com/user/jbittle/media/Puffin_zpsj7rp02lf.jpg.html?filters[user]=119510388&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 08/07/18 06:34 AM

Perhaps Photobucket doesn't work anymore???

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 08/07/18 09:56 AM

Along with everything else we figured SmugMug was blocked by Russia. I cannot see your pictures so maybe photo bucket is blocked as well as cannot see your pictures here Jim. Our pictures we sent to Julie to post where everyone can see them but us!!

Tomorrow there are hikes in the morning. Them tomorrow afternoon we have a zodiac ride to see a haul out of 3000 walrus. Hoping some will be in the water as well.

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 08/07/18 11:54 AM

Photobucket only showed the HTTP links but the pictures didn't show up on LCT.
We need an easier way to post photos on LCT.

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 08/07/18 12:08 PM

These may work if you click on them.
http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc399/jbittle/Puffin_zpsj7rp02lf.jpg
http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc399/jbittle/Walrus_zpsv5wojemi.jpg
http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc399/jbittle/Seals_zpsvk9momsl.jpg
http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc399/jbittle/Bear_zpsgz72ktyh.jpg

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 08/07/18 02:04 PM

Medivac pictures from Ken H.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 08/07/18 02:06 PM

Walrus at Wrangel Island - Pictures by Ken H.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 08/07/18 02:11 PM

Pictures by Leslie B.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 08/07/18 06:43 PM

Actually Ken took the first two zodiac shots, I just edited them and added a little ‘northern lights’ effect.

Glad we can get off the ship today and tomorrow for landings and zodiac tours.

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 08/07/18 07:15 PM

Wow, very disappointing to hear about your cruise. Hope ours is better, but we were never scheduled to go to Wrangel Island, so won't have that issue. George would be fuming if he were onboard.

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 08/07/18 09:05 PM

Brilliant Julie figured out a way to get Ken’s Pictures to show up for us too. Thanks Julie.

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 08/07/18 09:28 PM

Rachel, are you overnighting in Nome? We arrive at 7am on the 12th; maybe we can get you onboard for dinner.

Marc

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 08/08/18 06:54 AM

Good day today. Lots of humpback whales close to the ship as we entered a very sheltered fiord. Walks and beach combing was offered. Some went others did not. It was calm but it was raining very lightly and no way to know if it would rain more or less.

This afternoon We had a great zodiac ride. All of the group that went out were all together in the big zodiac. So we all had the same experiences. I think we won the lottery today with our sightings.

We went to see a walrus haul out with about 3000 walrus. They were in the water frolicking around. Several times different groups swam towards us bobbing their heads out of the water as if they were showing off their tusks. We had to stay 300 meters away from the haul out but could get closer in the water. So many walrus on land quite a sight. It was pretty calm and a lot of fun.

Exciting things happened on our way back.

Three or four walrus come up right at our zodiac probably no further than 15 feet. Heads way out of the water. We were not expecting this at all as we had left the area where most of the walrus were located. They were so big that close you could see them so well. No one got a picture and they were too close for the guys with the big lens.

Then a gray whale came up within 30 feet of our zodiac. I have never been that close to a whale in the wild. It was amazing!! He surfaced several times still very close.

Just to top off the afternoon a seal welcomed us back to the ship.

So happier campers tonight.

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 08/08/18 02:14 PM

Sounds like a great day! I had never seen walrus in the water until we did Walrus and they were quite a surprise to me. Before that they were just big slugs laying around on the beach but in the water they are quite active and fun to watch. Glad things have improved a bit for you all!
————————-
Helen

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 08/08/18 02:16 PM

Darn it, Marc, we are not going to be overnighting in Nome. We are staying in Anchorage overnight and flying up in the morning, as I thought the lodging and dining options in Nome were pretty limited. Too bad!

Glad the wildlife sightings were better today.

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 08/08/18 06:19 PM

So happy to see the photos and know what great sightings you had with the walruses and whales !

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 08/09/18 10:14 AM

Already turned in our boots even though we still have five nights onboard. No more landings or zodiac cruises. Three full days on the ship then arrive in nome a day early. We are just a few hundred miles from nome but heading in opposite direction.

This may be our last Silversea cruise.

Marc
Posted By: Darla06

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 08/09/18 11:23 AM

I have to admit, Marc, that Fred and I are starting to feel the same. The offer tonight from Silversea of a 20% of our cruise fare credit for future cruise was insulting, to say the least. I have been a steadfast supporter up until now. Having to spend three days of our trip just to bunker for their next trip was the straw that broke the camels back. 1/3 or problem were nature related, but followed by a series of bad decisions makes this a less than desirable experience.The company has been fun, but trip not worth the premium price we all paid. So sad.
Posted By: Darla06

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 08/09/18 11:39 AM

Let us remember Ngaire’s quote on this site from 7/19 “None of us really know what to expect on this trip and I find that pretty exciting - an adventure with really good friends. Pretty great situation.”

An adventure with good friends is for sure. Let us not forget...
Posted By: Mrs. Marc

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 08/09/18 11:47 AM

I couldn’t agree more Darla. 20% is highly insulting to me

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 08/09/18 01:03 PM

Wow. I have always enjoyed SS and we especially have loved the Explorer. I am so sorry how this trip has evolved. On the Pollyanna-side of the situation, you can all use your 20% and join us on Celtic! Probably not too much opportunity for similar disasters in the British Isles? We would love to see you guys. Hi Darla and Fred, nice to see you here on LCT!
——————-
Helen

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 08/09/18 01:59 PM

Jim, Photobucket changed their photo hosting policy a few months ago and now you can only use the service if you pay a yearly fee. If I remember correctly, the fee is around $400 a year.

Originally Posted by jbittle
Perhaps Photobucket doesn't work anymore???

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 08/09/18 02:59 PM

That's a bummer that the WRANGEL cruise was so disappointing. I'm with Helen...not very likely that things can go so wrong on CELTIC on the Silver Cloud. Hope others will join us on this cruise.

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 08/09/18 07:54 PM

Somewhere we are missing a day in the “plans” for the remaining cruise. We crossed the dateline initially losing a day, now we wil gain it back. I may be confused about this, but since it’s currently Thursday in Nome, I think we will be overnight in Nome two nights. Waiting for Marc to show up and weigh in.

Resolved. Our last nights are:

Anadyr for refueling, check out of Russia
Sea
Sea
Nome overnight
Disembark on Monday.

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 08/09/18 08:21 PM

I was thinking how to give access to my LCT photobucket acct. I think the only way to do it is to message me for the password and then those of you on vacation can upload pictures to post here on LCT.

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 08/09/18 08:26 PM

This cruise has been the “perfect storm” with a huge number of issues all coming together to create the experience we have had instead of the experience that was expected. It is such a shame as we all expected a different outcome and very disappointing for everyone.

Some of those factors are specific to where we are in the world. Likelihood of a similar situation anywhere else is unlikely. One thing is for sure I will not be returning to the Russian Far East again. Both trips I have done have had issues that are beyond the control of the ship. No need to risk that again in the future.

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 08/10/18 07:22 AM

So we got a good surprise today. Our expedition leader Brad has been trying for days to get permission for us to go ashore at Anadyr to no avail. We arrived at about 9.00 am to a lot of Beluga whales. You just see there white backs as they surface, but there were a lot of them

We had turned in all our boots at 3.30 pm and at 4.00 pm he finally got permission for us to go ashore. They managed to put steps and boxes down so we could get on shore without boots.

This was much better than we expected. A beautiful church and a great museum. I am NOT usually a person who likes museums but this was good. First floor for children but we had fun in this area. Second floor ivory carvings, pictures and art. Top floor was the best. Lots of clothing sleighs and stuffed animals representing the arctic region.

On the zodiac ride back we looked for whales and got pretty close to them including a mother and baby

Great to get off the ship one last time.

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 08/10/18 07:28 AM

After 5 hours of negotiation the Russian authorities finally agreed to let us go ashore in Anadyr. There were seals and beluga whales in the bay coming and going ashore. We all turned in or claimed our boots earlier so the expedition staff was out in force with steps making a landing bridge on the beach so nobody got wet. Passport check completed on the beach coming and going, but otherwise we were free to wander, visit the lovely new Russian Orthodox Cathedral, and excellent museum. We will be here overnight and then at sea til we get to Nome on Sunday.

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 08/10/18 07:33 PM

Pictures by Ken H.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 08/11/18 05:03 AM

We have left Russia clap

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 08/11/18 02:15 PM

This is actually Julie and I'm testing different ways that you can upload your pictures to LCT via Ngaire's account. This picture was first published on Ngaire's Pinterest board. I viewed the full image and then right clicked to copy the image address. I then used this image address for the picture. If you are on any other social media (Pinterest, Instagram, or Facebook) where your image is marked as available for the public to see then you can right click on the image and use that URL for the image here on LCT.
Btw, I haven't finished loading all of the WRANGEL pictures on her Pinterest account yet.

[Linked Image]

It's rare that the cruisers are so remote that they are unable to use the methods such as Smugmug and not be able to see the photos. It just seems to be the case in the remote areas of the WRANGEL cruise.

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 08/11/18 02:20 PM

Again, this is Julie. Another experiment from Facebook. This one I've added via the Keene Luxury Travel Facebook page. Keep in mind this will only work if your picture is made public.

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 08/11/18 07:03 PM

Julie both of those images worked here just fine.

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 08/12/18 02:04 AM

Fun ship activities. Last night a crew show that was great. Nice weather for our crossing to Nome, very calm seas. Fun cook off tonight between the expedition and staff teams. We arrive in Nome tomorrow morning, spend the night onboard and debark the next day. They will be organizing a tour in Nome.

Next trip Crystal river boat.

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 08/12/18 04:51 AM

Sunset in the White Sea in Northern Russia
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10215569792191132&set=pcb.1772375769537338&type=3
It should show up if you click on the link.

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 08/12/18 06:55 AM

Jim it did show up. Brilliant to figure that out. Not sure how Julie got ours to actually post but a link is still great. Maybe there is one more step she can share.

Thanks great shot.

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 08/12/18 06:47 PM

Here we are in Nome, a day early and a dollar short. Found out Captain is departing today; maybe that is why we are here early.

Hot Rocks with group tonight and then a long long travel day tomorrow/tuesday.

Will post a review at some time.

Marc

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 08/12/18 07:59 PM

Welcome back to the USA Wranglers. Marc, can't wait to hear about your adventures (or lack of in some cases). Home Sweet Home awaits you!

Wow, time flies...we leave for pre cruise week in NYC and then on to Amsterdam for Debussy riverboat cruise in a month. See those on RHINE soon.

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 08/13/18 04:24 PM

About to leave the ship. Sad to say goodbye to the dining room and bar staff they have been these best team I have ever encountered. Fun, smart and great service. As far as the hotel department they really have it all together.

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 08/25/18 12:59 AM

How about this amazing news!

Brad accidentally dropped his glasses (including case) off of the train between Talkeetna and Denali while we were on the back platform trying to get pix of Denali. We just got a call from a local hiking guide who was walking near the train tracks. He found his glasses and is mailing them back to us.

So, it is a good idea to put your phone number in your glasses’ case just in case you lose them. Everyone we met in Alaska was so friendly and helpful. Looking forward to a return trip.

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 08/25/18 05:37 PM

Uploaded my Russia trip pix - click on the various galleries for pix of each stop - photos look best in full screen or slideshow mode (click arrow on top right next to the buy icon for slideshow.)

Some of Ken's photos as well as some of the ship photographer's photos are interspersed with mine and credited in the caption.

https://leslie-brad.smugmug.com/Travel/cruise/Silversea/SIlver-Explorer-Russia-Far-East

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 08/26/18 12:32 AM

Fabulous photos Leslie, thank you for posting them. I loved those two little girls at Eulen village absolutely adorable. Plus that church at Anadyr was really pretty special. Great memories. Amazing about getting Brad's glasses back. Something like that really surprises you in a very good way.

We had horrific problems getting a new internet service at our house. This guy named Daniel who is a troubleshooter spent from 5.00 pm to 10 pm Friday night at our house. Then came back on Saturday at 11.00 and stayed until 4.00pm. We both took such a liking to him, young, work ethic deluxe, warm and friendly with two young children. We took his name and we both looked at each other when he left and said WOW,

Ken and I both felt this bond with this Internet repairman. I felt it but I did not realize Ken felt it too. We said "we need to have his whole family over for dinner" Totally unusual for us with our schedule dinner company is usually off the table. Let alone with two young children. One just 17 months old.

Magic moments in life when someone does something extraordinary like returning Brad's glasses OR the internet repairman is a jewel. Makes like worth living to stop and appreciate those people who go above and beyond for really perfect strangers.

Posted By: Betty

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 08/26/18 02:16 AM

This cruise might have turned into something you didn't expect but I love your photos. Fascinating!

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 08/26/18 02:24 AM

There were some really good moments just not was anticipated. Weather, politics, illness all played into a scenario that messed with the trip. But I still have some great memories and the pictures remind us of the good things we did enjoy.

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 08/26/18 04:00 AM

Wow, that is amazing about Brad’s glasses. This morning as we were disembarking Explorer, George had not packed his hiking boots. He had said that they had lost their water proofing, so he was just going to leave them. Here comes Arnie, Our butler, bringing them. George quickly explained that he didn’t need them anymore and that anyone who wanted them could have them. I can just see them arriving in the mail in a few weeks.

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 08/26/18 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by Ngaire
There were some really good moments just not was anticipated. Weather, politics, illness all played into a scenario that messed with the trip. But I still have some great memories and the pictures remind us of the good things we did enjoy.

Ngaire, there were some fantastic moments in the cruise.

Marc

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 08/29/18 11:38 PM

Dam broke on CC; someone finally posted on our cruise and then a number of others jumped in. Apparently Silver Cloud Kangerlussuaq to Kangerlussuaq trip also with major itinerary changes (doesn't make sense to me that it is ice related unless Silver Cloud doesn't want to go into 3/10th ice) and pax are disgruntled there.

This could be fun! dance

:LCT:
Posted By: Anna B.

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 08/30/18 03:03 PM

I felt so sorry for all of you on WRANGEL. After reading CC comments, apparently it was even worse than we thought.

Re: WRANGEL SEA MAIL - 07/31/22 06:55 AM

Going through old photos, exactly four years ago today was our group dinner at hot rocks. We had some great times but unfortunately incompetent planning and poor execution by Silversea has kept us from ever booking another Silversea cruise. Being in honningsvag today on navigator reminds me of great arctic and Antarctic adventures in the past.

Marc

PS Ice conditions now would preclude landing on Wrangel until later in season. In fact new forecast for Canada ice may mean no northwest passage without assistance.
© 2024 Luxury Cruise Talk