Luxury Cruise Talk Logo

Keene Luxury Travel
800-856-1155 · 972-701-9292
Join Our Mailing List · Email us

Who's Online Now
5 registered members (Ngaire, Jim B, seadog, DennisK, 1 invisible), 990 guests
Newest Members
DennisK, SuprDave, BarbD, johnsmithpmt, Juliehoover(41381 Registered Users)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Issues and Success with Air Cancelations #252755 03/14/20 07:35 PM
Ralph W. Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
Thought I would start a new thread where people could share issues and success with air cancelations that will be required with all the cruise cancelations.

My thought is if any of you learn tricks or means to get the best deal when needing to cancel or change flights you could post here and share your knowledge with others. Also if you have an issue and do not know how to manage it you might post here and someone may have a suggestion to solve you issue. The wealth of knowledge on the forum is extensive and someone may be able to share a solution that you were not aware of.

I have had an easy cancelation of a Singapore air flight booked with SIN miles from AKL to SIN to DBX that we cancelled due to the Mariner cruise being cancelled. The miles were back in my account within minutes and also received credit card credits for fees and or taxes paid. Excellent service.

I remain with an issue . I have AA flight booked from MIA to LAX on May 17, 2020. Paid nonrefundable tickets. No idea on what AA may allow me to do. Presently AA is only dealing with flights to 4/30/20. If I could change flights have no idea how I might be able to use over next 12 months as June and I have all flights for that period booked and paid for.

If you have

Re: Issues and Success with Air Cancelations [Re: Ralph W.] #252758 03/14/20 11:40 PM
Ms Understood Offline
cruiser
cruiser
I had no problem cancelling my brothers Southwest flights for Flower Power cruise and like your SIN experience had my miles and cash credited within 12 hours but when I tried to cancel my own Delta flights yesterday I got a “ fill out the request form and we will get back with you” runaround. I am a million miler with Delta but guess we have to wait with everyone else to see what happens. I don’t have any quarrel with airline credit but I would sure like to know I’m getting it! I do see people on Cruise Critic complaining about American in particular though, so good luck, Ralph.
———————
Helen

Re: Issues and Success with Air Cancelations [Re: Ralph W.] #252782 03/16/20 10:01 PM
petlover Offline
cruiser
cruiser
I have spent many hours the past few days calling 3 airlines (Alaska, United & Delta) we have booked in June/July for 10 people "family trip" (all in economy, but all with different confirmation #'s ) . The normal "hold time" is between 4-6 hours. Luckily some will call me back without losing my place in line, others don't offer this and I have the phone on speaker phone for HOURS listening to the most terrible crackling music UGH.

All our flights have been booked differently, some with f.f. miles, some all cash, and some using Chase Points (they use Expedia). The prices have dropped substantially and United and Alaska waived the change fee. Unfortunately Delta didn't wave their change fee but it was still cost effective cancelling and rebooking the exact same flights at the much reduced fare. I think it all depends on the agent you get, luck of the draw.

Most of the agents have been very nice (especially the ones that waived a "change fee" x 10 people) The most problems I've had were with flights booked using Chase Reward points because it's a "3rd party" and they've been difficult to work with saying it's up to the airline and the airline saying they can''t help me since it was booked through a 3rd party. Lots of time wasted chasing my tail around in a big circle. It's so much easier when flights are booked directly with an airline.

I just hope that by June we're all healthy, the airlines are operating , and no cancelled flights.

Marcie

Re: Issues and Success with Air Cancelations [Re: Ralph W.] #252784 03/17/20 12:02 AM
Fogmalkin Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Just a suggestion although I realize everyone is anxious...

You should hold off calling the airlines. The same with credit cards.

I have received emails from more than 5 airlines (and it's also posted on their websites) asking to PLEASE not call unless I have travel scheduled in the next 72 hours. They are desperately trying to work with canceled flights and just getting people home.

Suzanne
Re: Issues and Success with Air Cancelations [Re: Ralph W.] #252790 03/18/20 05:05 AM
jbittle Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Had a SMS a bit ago that our United flight from Sydney to Houston is cancelled. All other flight options on United are airports we want to avoid. We were able to cancel and book a day earlier on Emirates all on line.

Re: Issues and Success with Air Cancelations [Re: Ralph W.] #253028 04/07/20 12:23 AM
Ralph W. Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
Had to really search to find this thread. Any way here is some recent, 20 minutes ago results.

June and I had plane tickets from MIA to LAX post the Rome to MIA cruise on AA departing MIA at 12:10pm on May 17, 2020. The flight was changed to 10:30am. More than 60 minutes. A good thing. As the cruise was cancelled we will not be in MIA on May 17, 2020. In fact we will be on a plane from AKL to LAX on May 17, 2020.

I was able to go on the AA web site and after cancelling the fights could go through the process of requesting a refund of the fare , which was fairly large, to my credit card. The request went through and I received confirmation of the request . Now to wait for the credit to the card. Did the entire process on line. You do need your original ticket numbers and not the PNR. I always save the receipt that has the ticket numbers as the ticket numbers are the most important piece of data not the PNR.

Re: Issues and Success with Air Cancelations [Re: Ralph W.] #253031 04/07/20 01:18 AM
petlover Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Ralph, I'm so happy that this all worked out for you and June. Looking forward to seeing you guys when it's safe to get together.

Still dealing with my ordeal.
There were 3 different airlines involved,(Alaska, United, Delta) plus an NYC AirBnB and an Atlanta hotel plus our 1 week (3 rooms) at Beaches Turks & Caicos Resort. There were 30 individual one way tickets involved. Some were booked with FF miles, some cash only, some a combination of cash & f.f. miles (all flights were in economy). It took me weeks to put the trip together a year ago and now several days to undue it all. Still need to wait till the dust settles to see if we're getting refunds, vouchers, miles back in accounts etc. I even had to have my doctor write a letter to AirBnB due to my compromised immune system.

We rescheduled the entire family trip for July 2021. We're all disappointed to have to delay a year but hopefully it will all be worth it in 2021. I just wasn't going to take any chances going this summer.

Marcie

Re: Issues and Success with Air Cancelations [Re: Ralph W.] #253163 04/19/20 12:54 AM
Ralph W. Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
The credit to my credit card was just posted. Only took AA less than two weeks to process credit request and rely the credit to my credit card. Good job on part of AA.

Re: Issues and Success with Air Cancelations [Re: Ralph W.] #253182 04/22/20 08:10 PM
Ms Understood Offline
cruiser
cruiser
I am not having much luck. I cancelled my flight on Qatar for ELLIE and am still waiting a week later for the promised email confirming my request.
I cancelled my Delta flights for SUITE several weeks ago and just have a message that I have an open unused e ticket but the message continues with "oops we are unable to confirm the amount of your e credit".
I cancelled a flight we had booked for my niece with miles to go to Brazil in May and the flight has disappeared but the miles have not shown up back in the account.
I cancelled our flights in June for ROME but have no credit showing at all even thought the flight is no longer in "my trips".
This is all very aggravating! Isn't all of this done by computer? Seems like it should be instantaneous?
------------
Helen

Re: Issues and Success with Air Cancelations [Re: Ralph W.] #253184 04/22/20 08:48 PM
Ralph W. Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
It will take some time but my suggestion is make some phone calls. Expect to wait a considerable length of time to connect with a person but should be worth the effort. I had to wait almost an hour for a phone call to Air New Zealand to change a flight that was cancelled to a new flight. Was worth it in the end. I used my cell phone for the calls as it was easy to put on speaker and then set the phone down while I played on the computer while waiting. Make sure to have all data that might be needed. Not just the PNR but the ticket numbers. Ticket numbers end up being much more important than the PNR for refunds etc.

Re: Issues and Success with Air Cancelations [Re: Ralph W.] #253185 04/22/20 09:31 PM
Ms Understood Offline
cruiser
cruiser
With the exception of Qatar , all of this WAS done in the phone. I will say that the Delta medallion desk called me back in less than 20 minutes. Guess it is time to make some more calls.
—————-
Helen

Re: Issues and Success with Air Cancelations [Re: Ralph W.] #253186 04/22/20 10:27 PM
Ralph W. Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
Did not realize you did the Delta items on the phone. I would certainly call. Due to the volume of transactions and our inability to know what the person on the other end is doing on the computer or what they need to do. If things do not get processed correctly a phone call is in order.

Hopefully, these posts may help others with issues, which was my original intent.

Re: Issues and Success with Air Cancelations [Re: Ralph W.] #253187 04/22/20 11:14 PM
Ms Understood Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Thanks,Ralph. . I’ll report back once I get some resolution. Hope you and June are doing ok.
——————
Helen

Re: Issues and Success with Air Cancelations [Re: Ralph W.] #253190 04/24/20 02:29 PM
R
RachelG Offline
cruiser
cruiser
R
I cancelled our reservations on AA via the website. They sent me an email to call when I wanted to rebook or have the miles redeposited. Since I used miles, I am just letting the cancellation sit there till I can book the flights for the Tulip cruise next year.

Re: Issues and Success with Air Cancelations [Re: Ralph W.] #253197 04/25/20 05:08 PM
Pam Offline
cruiser
cruiser
I cancelled our Delta reservations via the website, but I had kind of accidentally booked refundable tickets so it didn't take very long. I haven't checked to see what happened to the miles I had used to lower the price, but will in the next day or so.

Re: Issues and Success with Air Cancelations [Re: Ralph W.] #253255 05/07/20 11:41 PM
Ms Understood Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Well at last I have received the refund I requested from Qatar airways on Apr 15 . Shows “ pending” today on my credit card.

Still no real resolution with Delta though. I have spoken to several people at the Medallion desk and they assure me that the credit for both of my cancelled flights is reflected in their computers but no one can tell me why there is no credit(s) showing when I log onto my account. It’s all very frustrating.
————————
Helen

Re: Issues and Success with Air Cancelations [Re: Ralph W.] #253256 05/08/20 12:58 AM
petlover Offline
cruiser
cruiser
That's good news Helen, it will process soon.

Marcie

Re: Issues and Success with Air Cancelations [Re: Ralph W.] #253257 05/08/20 01:07 AM
lonestarlady Offline
cruiser
cruiser
I had made 3 reservations over the course of 2 days when we were trying to get home from Perth on the cancelled World Cruise- one with American, one with Qantas and one with United I had cancelled the American reservation within 24 hours due to us supposedly not being able to get thru port customs in time (turns out I could kept this one, but that's another story), but they never credited my account. The second reservation I made was with Qantas. One of the legs was via American code share - that segment was cancelled by AA. Never received any notice from Qantas. I got a notice from AA as I am Gold with them. I tried to go online with Qantas and change the flights - no go.. After 3+ hours on hold on the phone with Qantas (while on the ship!) I was disconnected, so I just went online and cancelled all together. I had paid full price and the ticket was fully refundable, Never got anything in response from Qantas. When we got home, I filed dispute for all 4 of these tickets with Amex, and happily, they found all in my favor. I can say that my experience with Amex with disputes has always been phenomenal. BTW, we ended up making it home on a United flight!!

Cindy
TravelingTexasDuo.com

"In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." - Abraham Lincoln
Re: Issues and Success with Air Cancelations [Re: Ralph W.] #253268 05/09/20 06:33 PM
Ms Understood Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Interesting little catch: apparently I charged my Qatar flights to Cap One card to get the sign up bonus. My account now shows the credit from Qatar and that I now have -11,696 miles! That’s right I owe 11696 miles😀
——————-
Helen

Re: Issues and Success with Air Cancelations [Re: Ralph W.] #253269 05/12/20 11:21 PM
Ngaire Online
cruiser
cruiser
Getting word that most people are finally getting their air cancelled. Just so many people trying to get this done at the same time.

Clay and I are blessed with some super stars on the spreadsheet work that have a good system figured out to help us handle all the cancellations and cross checks to be sure nothing falls through the cracks. I think the cruise lines are doing better as well. The first set of cancellations was a nightmare but they seem to have better systems now. Still slow with everyone working at home. This is a time when patience is indeed a virtue.

Re: Issues and Success with Air Cancelations [Re: Ralph W.] #253270 05/13/20 01:06 PM
R
RachelG Offline
cruiser
cruiser
R
one thing that I did learn through this. I had booked our flights to Rome and back from Barcelona with AA using miles. I cancelled. The Barcelona to Tulsa miles were almost immediately redeposited in George's AA account. The Tulsa to Rome miles were not redeposited into my AA account. The reason was because The Tulsa to Rome involved a codeshare on BA. So I have to call to either get the miles redeposited or make another reservation using them. I am just going to hold tight because I can make the air reservations for TULIP next week.

Re: Issues and Success with Air Cancelations [Re: Ralph W.] #253290 05/17/20 02:33 AM
Pam Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Delta did not, in fact, refund the mileage I used along with cash for our Alaska trip. I inquired on May 1, and have a case number; they said I would hear within 10 days, but I knew that was optimistic. I'll try to call one day.

Re: Issues and Success with Air Cancelations [Re: Ralph W.] #253292 05/17/20 01:57 PM
Ms Understood Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Good luck Pam. I’m still trying to sort out my cancelled Delta credits.

And we had a family cruise set for August which we have cancelled but just rolled the deposits over to another trip next July. I am waiting to call Delta about my 11 plane tickets since “credit” seems to be the big issue and I am hoping 🤞🏻that if I wait till our dates open that I can more easily just change the flights rather than cancel and hope everyone gets their credit. We will see what happens
——————-
Helen

Re: Issues and Success with Air Cancelations [Re: Ralph W.] #253293 05/17/20 03:22 PM
petlover Offline
cruiser
cruiser
It has been a mess for many.

I couldn't find the credit voucher that I was suppose to get from United anywhere. I called United with all 6 of the passenger #'s on the tickets for a cancelled June trip from Newark to Turks & Caicos. It turns out that ALL the $$ credit was issued to my youngest Grandson Luca 7 years old.

It was so hysterical, he doesn't even have a United f.f.# . I didn't know if I should laugh or cry. The representative said 3 times that Mr. Luca would have 2 years to use HIS credit. After repeating 3 times that Mr. Luca wasn't going anywhere, he's 7 years old, unaccompanied minor blah blah blah she finally understood.

Now this $$ credit is suppose to be transferred into MY name. She said it may take 25 days so I'll wait and see. The UA representative was very nice but struggled a bit with conversational English.

Marcie

Re: Issues and Success with Air Cancelations [Re: petlover] #253294 05/17/20 04:04 PM
Ralph W. Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
Marcie,

Your experience reminds me of something all should do with these calls. Make a written note of the date, time ,persons name and details of what you were told and the result of the inquiry. It is so easy to overlook this. Especially with the complicated details. I usually ask the persons name again at the end of the call and many times need to ask for it to be spelled.

May not be needed but a good practice.

Re: Issues and Success with Air Cancelations [Re: Ralph W.] #253295 05/17/20 10:40 PM
R
RachelG Offline
cruiser
cruiser
R
Good luck yesterday with AA. I called to get our cancelled flight changed (booked with miles) to the Tulip cruise. No issues whatsoever, and I have my confirmation for the April 2021 reservation.

Re: Issues and Success with Air Cancelations [Re: Ralph W.] #253297 05/17/20 10:52 PM
VayaConJim Offline
cruiser
cruiser
I have has some interesting dealing with Chase Ultimate Rewards. I needed to cancel a flight and a hotel made with Chase points. The first time I contacted them I was told that my hotel had a non-refundable cancellation fee and that my air flight would have to be rebooked this year or the ticket would expire. Neither of these things seemed correct because the airline was not flying and the hotel was not scheduled to reopen before my reservation. I looked at the websites for the hotel and the airline and both had special Covid-19 policies published rather recently. When I got back to the Chase Ultimate Rewards folks they were very helpful and thanked me for bringing the new policies to their attention because their in-house systems were not update with all the most current Covid-19 policies. In the end I was able to cancel the hotel with no penalty and get an airline credit good until the end of 2021 which works for me.

Follow Stacy and Jim at www.vayacongringos.wordpress.com
Re: Issues and Success with Air Cancelations [Re: Ralph W.] #253439 06/19/20 01:47 AM
Pam Offline
cruiser
cruiser
I learned something today. After waiting six weeks and hearing nothing from Delta, I tried to call; every call was "we are too busy to talk to you", click. But one of the recordings mentioned Facebook so I went to the Delta FB page. Delta reps were telling people to send a private message, so I did. I gave them my Skymiles number and the "case number" and had the miles back in my account within about two hours. I think the recording also mentioned the app but I was so frustrated that I wasn't listening very well.

Re: Issues and Success with Air Cancelations [Re: Ralph W.] #253614 08/18/20 06:32 PM
Ms Understood Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Just to revive this because I am frustrated. I have been waiting since July 11 for a refund of a flight to Venice that Delta cancelled. I have called the medallion desk 5x, I spoke with someone in the “refund department”, I have spoken with the just regular help line, I have submitted emails and online requests, I tried the Facebook approach and today I was told that the refund desk is currently processing requests from the end of April and I should expect that I will not see my money for at least another 90 days. I am platinum medallion and a million miler. Not a good way to insure continued loyalty.
Sorry for the rant but needed to get this off my chest and frankly Jerry doesn’t want to hear it anymore😀
———————-
Helen

Re: Issues and Success with Air Cancelations [Re: Ralph W.] #253615 08/18/20 07:00 PM
petlover Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Helen, fingers crossed that all goes well for you ! We had cancelled a Delta flight in early March and all went well with refund. I guess we beat the rush.

Marcie

Re: Issues and Success with Air Cancelations [Re: Ralph W.] #253617 08/18/20 08:45 PM
Ralph W. Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
Helen, Good luck.

I requested a refund of our flights from SNA to Vancouver for the canceled Alaska cruise on June 9, 2020. Was told by Delta rep on 7/15/20 that to allow at least to July 30. I kept checking and found Refund Status was PENDING. Today received emails that refund in process to credit card used for payment. I think Delta waited until the flight was truly canceled which it was a few days ago. We could not go to Canada now if we wanted to as it is closed to US citizens. So they must have finally accepted the fact they needed to refund.

We also canceled our AA flights to and from DFW for BOOTS and AA just gave us vouchers. I use AA for Maui flights so can probably use them for Maui in the future or for BOOTS next year.

Isn"t all this fun.

Re: Issues and Success with Air Cancelations [Re: Ralph W.] #253624 08/20/20 11:22 PM
Pam Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Helen, honestly, go to Delta's Facebook page and send them a private message. It only took a couple of hours for my miles be be back in my account.

Re: Issues and Success with Air Cancelations [Re: Ralph W.] #253625 08/21/20 02:27 AM
Ms Understood Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Pam, I did that after I saw your original post but I got a responsive message to the effect that “ we are no longer responding “ to messages here.
————————-
Helen

Re: Issues and Success with Air Cancelations [Re: Ralph W.] #253628 08/21/20 07:51 PM
Pam Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Helen, that is absolutely terrible! I am so sorry.

Especially when they are STILL telling people on the open forum to private message them. Maybe go to that forum and complain publicly; then somebody will tell you to PM them.

Re: Issues and Success with Air Cancelations [Re: Ralph W.] #253629 08/22/20 04:22 PM
pwolftx Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Wow, that's awful. I've had to cancel three flights with AA for various reasons. All the flights were booked with miles and I was able to cancel them all online. My miles were refunded immediately and the money for taxes, etc. were credited to my credit card right away.

Peggy
Re: Issues and Success with Air Cancelations [Re: Ralph W.] #253632 08/22/20 08:29 PM
Ms Understood Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Apparently my issue is related to the fact that when I purchased this ticket I used $200 gift card medallion benefit And now no one knows how to refund me the other $3400! Of course no one even figured that out until the 5th person I spoke with. Prior to that I was just told my refund is pending and “hopefully” will be forthcoming “soon”. It’s maddening
———————
Helen

Re: Issues and Success with Air Cancelations [Re: Ralph W.] #253634 08/23/20 11:47 PM
Marc Offline
cruiser
cruiser
I'm in a slightly different situation with Delta. We are booked LAX to Vancouver on 5 October after TOTEM. Until recently, Delta only let you cancel through 30 September and then you could get an e-credit; not cash. Delta uses Westjet for flights to Vancouver. Even though the border has been closed, they are still flying a few days a week. So, I have been waiting for the border closure to be extended into October so that Westjet might cancel my flight or change the departure or arrival time by more than 90 minutes so that I can cancel and get my money back.

About three months ago, I noticed that the fare had decreased from $299 to $254 on Delta site for the first class tickets. As Delta agents were real busy with real issues, I decided to ask online for a partial refund knowing that Delta usually doesn't give you the credit on non-refundable tickets. I never heard anything over the three months until last week when I got an email saying my ticket had been refunded; the full $299. Sure enough, the credit showed up on credit card. Of course, they credited my ticket but not Arlene's. Also, the itinerary still shows up and I can even change my seat. So, I am half there. I am going to wait until 15 September when the border closure should be extended, pour myself a nice drink, and call Delta to try to get back the rest of the money. I better have phone charger handy as I imagine it will be a very long call.

On another note, this quote is from the Sydney Morning Herald last Thursday;

Qantas chief Alan Joyce said it is unlikely the airline will restart international flying before June next year, with the possible exception of flights to New Zealand.

Re: Issues and Success with Air Cancelations [Re: Ralph W.] #253642 08/31/20 09:43 PM
Ms Understood Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Update: I called the medallion desk yet again as the credit has disappeared from my account, leaving me to think maybe that’s because the refund was put thru. So I waited a week to see if it posts. Not a chance. Delta has now advised that they don’t show me even asking for a refund until July 16. Nobody seemed to care that I have an email from Delta acknowledging my refund request dated June 25. Nor did it seem relevant to anyone there that July 16 is 3 days AFTER Amex posted my refunds for my other tickets which refunds were all requested at the same time. Nor did it matter that I called them multiple times in July during which calls no one said “what refund request? “ I’m further advised that there are only 2 people working in the refund department and they are presently processing requests from mid April. I should not expect that I will see my $3600 before sometime in October. Not feeling the million- miler love. Not thinking I will ever fly another million miles with these folks.
——————————
Helen

Re: Issues and Success with Air Cancelations [Re: Ralph W.] #253643 09/01/20 08:44 PM
Ralph W. Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
Received an email from Air New Zealand yesterday that our flight from HNL to AKL on 11/20/20 is officially canceled. They offered a credit voucher or a refund to the credit card used. I submitted form to get the refund and got an acknowledgment.

This means that for sure June and I will not be going to NZ in the near future. I have thought for some time the SilverSea Cruise to the islands south of NZ on 1/4/21 would not happen and this all but confirms it. Waiting for SilverSea to announce the cancelation officially. Will need to find a cruise to transfer that credit to as almost half the fare is from the FCC from the WRANGEL cruise that SilverSea gave us a FCC for.

Re: Issues and Success with Air Cancelations [Re: Ralph W.] #253644 09/01/20 11:22 PM
Marc Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Ralph, aren't you glad you don't need to play that 90 day game anymore.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KarenS 

Keene Luxury Travel Offers