Luxury Cruise Talk Logo

Keene Luxury Travel
800-856-1155 · 972-701-9292
Join Our Mailing List · Email us

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (Ngaire, seadog, Jim B, 1 invisible), 656 guests
Newest Members
DennisK, SuprDave, BarbD, johnsmithpmt, Juliehoover(41381 Registered Users)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: TOTEM Roll Call - Mariner - Alaska 23 Sep 20 [Re: Marc] #253250 05/06/20 08:29 PM
Marc Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
There may be hope for TOTEM after all!

Juneau, Alaska (KINY) - Norwegian Cruise Lines Executive Vice President Howard Sherman said they have made progress in getting health protocols and standards in place so they can begin sailing again.

Sherman said it is Norwegian's goal to have a cruise season in Juneau this year.

"Sometime in the next week or so we hope to be able to go out to port communities including Juneau and have meetings to go over with them the protocols we've developed to get feedback, comment, and suggestion for improvement," he added.

Sherman said their goal is to resume cruising in Alaska in July, 'We do need to overcome some obstacles, like making sure the cruise lines protocols are compatible with what the CDC thinks will be safe. Our top goal is safety."

Sherman said Alaska relies on other regions to open up for cruise ships. The Port of Seattle and Canada will have to make decisions. Canada could extend the ban on cruise ships past June 30.

He said they've already talked with leaders to get a waiver on the passenger vessel services Act so they could send cruise ships without visiting British Columbia.

Sherman said bookings have increased in recent weeks. He noted bookings for 2021 are ahead of the pace set for 2020.

"I think people are sitting home stir crazy and dreaming about the day that they can travel again."

Sherman said payments for the subport property will be made on schedule. They also have continued the construction at Ward Cove in Ketchikan and Icy Strait Point in Hoonah during the crisis.

He said he would like to reschedule a ribbon-cutting ceremony for a second dock at Icy Strait Point in July. The previous ceremony planned for April was postponed due to the pandemic.

Of course, Princess just announced today the cancellation of their remaining (Seattle rt) Alaska itineraries.

Marc

PS Or this announcement could just be a stunt aimed to reinforce a force majeure claim if Canada does ban cruises for the entire summer.

Re: TOTEM Roll Call - Mariner - Alaska 23 Sep 20 [Re: Marc] #253285 05/15/20 06:08 PM
pwolftx Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Final payment is coming up soon -- what do you think the chances are that this cruise will actually go?? I'm optimistic, but want some feedback.

Peggy
Re: TOTEM Roll Call - Mariner - Alaska 23 Sep 20 [Re: Marc] #253286 05/15/20 06:40 PM
Ngaire Online
cruiser
cruiser
I think the next two months will tell the story. No one has a crystal ball with this situation. I think this will be just about the time they will start to sail and Alaska is a good destination for early cruises. I have my fingers and everything i own crossed!

If Regent cancels we can get a refund or FCC for 125% (even though refunds are slow coming) Just the complexity of everyone working from home, and the massive workload to get this all processed. Most of it is being done manually. But in the last week refunds starting going out.

If we cancel we can still get the FCC for the amount paid.

Personally I cannot WAIT to get on a ship - cancelled five trips so far and do not cherish the thought of cancelling another trip.

Re: TOTEM Roll Call - Mariner - Alaska 23 Sep 20 [Re: Marc] #253312 05/20/20 02:42 AM
jhp Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Having been in a family biz for years I know what you’re going through Ngaire. My children tell me every day. I send good wishes to you that soon it will all turn around for all of us! So many of your clients are β€œin the same boat”! We love you 😍!

Re: TOTEM Roll Call - Mariner - Alaska 23 Sep 20 [Re: Marc] #253361 05/29/20 01:54 PM
Marc Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
The Canadian government has spoken:

The Government of Canada continues to monitor the evolution of the COVID-19 pandemic and the impacts it is having on the marine and tourism sectors. Keeping Canadians and transportation workers safe during the COVID-19 pandemic is Transport Canada’s top priority.

Today, the Minister of Transport, the Honourable Marc Garneau, announced updated measures pertaining to cruise ships and passenger vessels in Canadian waters.

Cruise ships with overnight accommodations allowed to carry more than 100 persons are prohibited from operating in Canadian waters until October 31, 2020.
As of July 1, 2020, all other passenger vessels must follow provincial, territorial, local and regional health authority requirements for timelines and processes to resume operations.
Passenger vessels with the capacity to carry more than 12 persons continue to be prohibited from entering Arctic coastal waters (including Nunatsiavut, Nunavik and the Labrador Coast) until October 31, 2020.

Beginning July 1, 2020, passenger vessels will be allowed to operate in inland rivers and lakes in the Northwest Territories, Nunavut and Yukon.

Essential passenger vessels, such as ferries and water taxis, should continue to operate using mitigation measures. These could include reducing the number of passengers or using alternative practices such as keeping people in their vehicles, when safe to do so, or enhanced cleaning and hygiene measures to reduce the risk of spreading COVID-19.

Unless the cruise lines want to find a way around the PVSA no Alaskan cruises this year for foreign flagged vessels.

Marc

Re: TOTEM Roll Call - Mariner - Alaska 23 Sep 20 [Re: Marc] #253362 05/29/20 02:45 PM
petlover Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Thanks Marc, We were prepared for TOTEM to be a no go. Guess 2 more airline tickets to cancel. We're disappointed but not surprised.

TOTEM was the cruise we chose when we took the "bump" offer giving up our Splendor trip from San Diego to Miami (which was ultimately cancelled the night before it was to sail). I have no idea how Regent will handle us? Give us a 3rd cruise or a refund ??

We've already cancelled 30 one way airline flights since March (3 different airlines), I'm getting lots of practice.

Marcie

Re: TOTEM Roll Call - Mariner - Alaska 23 Sep 20 [Re: Marc] #253363 05/29/20 04:24 PM
Ms Understood Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Such a shame! I haven’t heard that things are all that bad in Canada. Guess they want to keep it that way.

Marc, you seem to have the inside scoop, any idea whether our cruise on Oceania will cancel. It’s just LA to LA but obviously has to hit a port in Mexico. If that cancels we may wind up in same boat (πŸ˜€) as Marcie since we took that Cruise with a bunch of credits from other trips that had some issues
β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”
Helen.

Re: TOTEM Roll Call - Mariner - Alaska 23 Sep 20 [Re: Marc] #253364 05/29/20 04:41 PM
Ralph W. Offline
cruiser
cruiser
June and I are also booked on TOTEM as are our friends the Howell's from NZ.

While I understand the issues surrounding my request I do not think it unreasonable given the announcement by the Canadian government that Regent respond to that announcement.

Regent MUST provide guidance on what their plans are and do it sooner rather than wait until August or a later date. If they are attempting to allow the cruise to go forward given certain exemptions to existing announcements or laws they need to communicate that. The possibility of obtaining the exemptions could be done in a low key way via the travel agent community and communicate that that is why no formal announcements are being made at this time in reaction to the recent Canadian government announcement.

The closing of ports to cruise ships and the requirement that visitors to certain countries be placed into a 14 day quarantine is probably the biggest issue that cruise companies face. June and I are also booked on the Silversea cruise that starts in Dunedin, NZ and goes to the islands south of NZ. A cruise we are very much looking forward to. Currently and persons, including citizens of NZ must be quarantined in government provided hotels for 14 days. When that policy may be changed is under discussion in NZ. The Prime Minister of NZ has made it clear the government is not going to change that policy soon. If it is not modified in the not too distant future the SilverSea cruise will not happen.

Re: TOTEM Roll Call - Mariner - Alaska 23 Sep 20 [Re: Marc] #253365 05/29/20 04:59 PM
Marc Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
Ralph, I agree with your reasonable request that Regent respond. I have a month of land trip and flights LAX to YVR that I need to cancel if cruise is to be cancelled; I would like something official from Regent.

As to your Silver Explorer trip, from snippets on Silversea board on cc it appears that Silversea is trying to talk NZ and OZ governments into that being just a NZ and OZ passenger cruise; maybe you could still go.

Helen, no inside scoop. I have been tracking Canadian news sites and all the cruise line fora on cc that still have cruises scheduled for Alaska. I have also been tracking Alaskan news and government sites. As for California, I have no idea. Your governor seems to be going back and forth on pro sports so you would think if they allow pro sports with fans they would allow cruising.

Marc

Re: TOTEM Roll Call - Mariner - Alaska 23 Sep 20 [Re: Marc] #253366 05/29/20 05:00 PM
Ralph W. Offline
cruiser
cruiser
An idea that would allow this cruise to go forward.

Depart from the SF Bay Area where the Mariner is now or from Seattle. Do not go to the Canadian ports, Vancouver and Victoria, but do Alaska and then before returning to LA go to Ensenada and then back to LA. Skipping Victoria on the way south should allow for the time needed to go to Ensenada and then back to LA.

Re: TOTEM Roll Call - Mariner - Alaska 23 Sep 20 [Re: Ralph W.] #253367 05/29/20 05:05 PM
Marc Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
Originally Posted by Ralph W.
An idea that would allow this cruise to go forward.

Depart from the SF Bay Area where the Mariner is now or from Seattle. Do not go to the Canadian ports, Vancouver and Victoria, but do Alaska and then before returning to LA go to Ensenada and then back to LA. Skipping Victoria on the way south should allow for the time needed to go to Ensenada and then back to LA.

Ralph, they would have to start and end in the same USA port; so SF to SF or LA to LA would work; my one question is: Why? What does Regent have to gain to send a half empty ship to Alaska and WHY would Alaska cruise ports open up for just one ship at end of season?

edited to add: According to website Regent still hasn't put Alaska sailings starting 5 August on waitlist; we could make a slow 25% if we wanted to have more money tied up in Regent.

Re: TOTEM Roll Call - Mariner - Alaska 23 Sep 20 [Re: Marc] #253368 05/30/20 02:00 PM
petlover Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Anything Works for us...LA to LA best for us and Ralph & June with no flights. I just hope we hear "something"

Marcie

Re: TOTEM Roll Call - Mariner - Alaska 23 Sep 20 [Re: Marc] #253422 06/17/20 12:15 PM
jbittle Offline
cruiser
cruiser
In the notice that this cruise is cancelled we are informed that: In addition, you will also receive credit for the full nights of your canceled voyage as part of the Seven Seas Society loyalty program.

Re: TOTEM Roll Call - Mariner - Alaska 23 Sep 20 [Re: Marc] #253423 06/17/20 01:30 PM
Marc Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
Jim, that is only if you are paid in full; some of these cruises hadn't reached their final payment date.

Re: TOTEM Roll Call - Mariner - Alaska 23 Sep 20 [Re: Marc] #253428 06/17/20 03:48 PM
jbittle Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Marc, That was for TOTEM which was paid in full May 26. I got that statement from Regent, via KLT, advising that the cruise is cancelled.

Re: TOTEM Roll Call - Mariner - Alaska 23 Sep 20 [Re: Marc] #253538 07/25/20 02:23 PM
petlover Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Curious if anyone is considering rescheduling a TOTEM 2 ?? in a future year. There were quite a few of us on this cancelled cruise.

Marcie

Re: TOTEM Roll Call - Mariner - Alaska 23 Sep 20 [Re: Marc] #253545 07/28/20 09:15 PM
Ngaire Online
cruiser
cruiser
I love eating my way through Alaska! But my 2021 schedule will not allow me the time in 2021. Clay is doing June 9, 2021 on the Explorer. No doubt that Alaska will be on my schedule in 2022 but that is a long time from now.

Re: TOTEM Roll Call - Mariner - Alaska 23 Sep 20 [Re: Marc] #255641 03/18/22 03:31 PM
pwolftx Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Moving this up to see if there's any newcomers or cancellations on the roll call.

Peggy
Re: TOTEM Roll Call - Mariner - Alaska 23 Sep 20 [Re: Marc] #255654 03/20/22 12:29 PM
Ngaire Online
cruiser
cruiser
We have 48 on this sailing and a lot of names on the list that have been sailing with us for many years so I bet you will know a lot more people than are on the list. I know some people don't like to add their names to the list. The reason I hear the most is that they do not want to say they are coming incase they have to cancel.

Re: TOTEM Roll Call - Mariner - Alaska 23 Sep 20 [Re: Marc] #255657 03/23/22 03:04 PM
SusanH Offline
cruiser
cruiser
We are in 835, so add us to the list.

Susan Hall
Re: TOTEM Roll Call - Mariner - Alaska 23 Sep 20 [Re: Marc] #255671 03/29/22 06:54 PM
Marc Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
This is the 2020 roll call; there is also a 2022 roll call.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Keene Luxury Travel Offers