Luxury Cruise Talk Logo

Keene Luxury Travel
800-856-1155 · 972-701-9292
Join Our Mailing List · Email us

Who's Online Now
6 registered members (Ngaire, Davefr, Yallcruise, Ralph W., DennisK, Jim B), 1,028 guests
Newest Members
DennisK, SuprDave, BarbD, johnsmithpmt, Juliehoover(41381 Registered Users)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: How Is Everyone Getting On? [Re: Marc] #252859 03/24/20 02:34 PM
lonestarlady Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Very well done video. Here is the link: The Science Behind the Coronavirus

Cindy
TravelingTexasDuo.com

"In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." - Abraham Lincoln
Re: How Is Everyone Getting On? [Re: Marc] #252971 03/27/20 11:10 PM
Marc Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
Yesterday marked 14 days since I had played bridge with close to a hundred of my friends; did not know at the time that would be last game for an undetermined time. But making 14 days makes me believe none of us gave it to or received it from each other (would have heard if one of us got sick). So, yesterday was one of the milestone days marked on the calendar as was today. I had a longstanding medical appointment that I could not defer. I had a bit of trepidation as the facility I went to also has drive thru testing (when it was set up was second in entire state). Made it through that with relatively little contact and no concerns. I don't know if I have any other milestones to look forward to (or dread); now it just becomes whatever we make of it. Arlene surprised me today with homemade apple pies. She tells my that this is the first time she has made crust from scratch; it sure is flaky.

My main chores are relative to a very large live oak in our backyard. First came the acorns (bushels of them) then leaves then pollen and now the catkins (look it up). Messiest tree on earth; and what did we do, we built a waterfall and a pond right underneath it. We also have our caddy shack moments; there is a squirrel (actually I think they are two brothers) that have taken up residence (did I mention the oak tree) and have decided that patio cushions (both fabric and foam) make their abodes a lot more comfortable. A constant fight that has taken a turn for the worst. If he stops by tonight he is going to find no bedding material; let's see what he steals next (did I mention that I was looking for a gun to handle squirrels).

A thanks to Drib for the jeopardy game. How was I going to beat a Berkeley girl on the daily dreidel even though I temporarily lived at 36th and Judah many years back.

Hope everyone is adapting and making the most of it. Ralph, did you get your visa extension?

Warmest Regards,

Marc

PS Has anyone had issues with Netflix? Amazon Prime is working but can't get Netflix to work at all today.

Re: How Is Everyone Getting On? [Re: Marc] #252972 03/28/20 12:41 AM
Ralph W. Online
cruiser
cruiser
I should have posted. On Monday last the NZ government announced that anyone with a visa that had a visa that was going to expire from April 1 to July 9 would be automatically extended. Have yet to get the email that was promised but there is enough public posting from the government about the extension that I am not worried. They said an email would come. My visa does not expire until April 4 so I am covered. Before the announcement I had submitted the forms for a new visa. Have not heard about that but again no issue as current visa is extended. Also before the announcement and not knowing about the new visa extension we booked a flight from AKL to LAX on March 30, 2020. That flight was cancelled a few days ago. Air NZ issued a future credit for the amount we had paid, which was a good price. The reason I selected that date. April 1 and 2 were twice the price paid. Two nights ago I was able to book flights home to for May 17, 2020 and was able to book using the credit received with no fare increase required. The internet price for the new flight was 50% higher than what we ended up paying. Very happy about that. NZ air was very good about that.

As you all may or may not know, New Zealand is on 100% lockdown for 4 weeks starting last Wednesday. The grocery stores are limiting the number entering and requiring only one shopper. So June has done most of the shopping the last day or so. The government has been very strong about everybody staying home and only going out for some fresh air but close to home. They are using a term I have not seen in the US. They are referring to family units etc as " YOUR BUBBLE". As June's brother lives be himself but we have seen him a lot and very recently we have included Brian in our " Bubble" so we go and pick him up and take him home after he has been over for a bit of Scrabble with June and some dinner. We will continue to do that.

I would also add that the NZ government has been very transparent about what is going on and the communication has been excellent. Very straight forward, and easily to understand. It has been interesting to observe the difference in the government structure between NZ and the US. There are no equivalents in NZ to the state organizations that exist in the US. I need to remind our NZ friends that the federal government in the US can not just dictate to the states what to do. In NZ the federal government has the ability to make all those decisions from a central authority in Wellington.

Apologize again for rambling on after answering Marc query about my visa. Gives me something to do besides watching the telly.

Re: How Is Everyone Getting On? [Re: Marc] #252973 03/28/20 12:52 AM
jbittle Offline
cruiser
cruiser
We're 5 days into our voluntary self isolation and last night our county government issued a 14 day stay at home order. OK to go for groceries etc, but we'll be home bound a bit longer. I'm finally going through my massive list of books on my Kindle, but will still have plenty when we cruise again, whenever that may be.
Jim

Re: How Is Everyone Getting On? [Re: Marc] #252974 03/28/20 01:07 AM
Marc Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
Ralph, good to hear all working out well; glad you are getting to spend time with Brian. Looking back at our short time in New Zealand, Wellington was actually one of my favorite stops. Between the Botanical Gardens, Te Papa Museum, and the waterfront area we had a fantastic time. Of course, for Arlene, I think skippering the American's Cup boat out in Auckland Harbour was probably one of her high points. I sure hope we get to cruise again.

Marc

Re: How Is Everyone Getting On? [Re: Marc] #252975 03/28/20 01:12 AM
Ms Understood Offline
cruiser
cruiser
We have been essentially home bound for 2 weeks now. But I drive every day to my sisters for a walk, sometimes with a dog or 2, sometimes not. She has metastatic cancer and is desperate for company and the physical activity while she is still able. I kind of dare anyone to question my activity. We don’t make contact with anyone else. And I’m alone in the car so not particularly concerned.
Jerry and I expected to be gone on back to back cruises so we are well fixed for meds and books. And I already subscribed to a meal delivery service so we are well fed.
What’s driving me crazy is the uncertainty of it all! Will my June cruise be cancelled? What about the one in August? Like many of my LCt buddies I am a planner and don’t do well with this situation of am I or am I not.....
Ralph , you and June should have plenty of room to spread out on your May flight. I hear most flights are flying with just a handful of pax
Stay well all!
————————
Helen

Re: How Is Everyone Getting On? [Re: Marc] #252976 03/28/20 05:38 PM
R
RachelG Offline
cruiser
cruiser
R
Really glad to hear that your visa issue has resolved, Ralph.

Still working. As soon as a patient arrives, they get their temperature taken and put in an exam room. Seeing about 1/3 to 1/2 of usual number to keep the waiting room empty. Hospital is totally locked down. NO visitors allowed. Only urgent surgeries. Family has to wait outside in their car or go home. I did 3 cases Thursday, all challenging, because that is what you get if you cancel the routine ones.

Re: How Is Everyone Getting On? [Re: Marc] #252977 03/29/20 01:01 AM
Ms Understood Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Stay safe Rachel.
————
Helen

Re: How Is Everyone Getting On? [Re: Marc] #252978 03/29/20 03:10 PM
petlover Offline
cruiser
cruiser
We are doing fine. Today is Day 19 for us (CA started much earlier than other states). We had groceries delivered yesterday from instacart and have had a couple curbside pick ups from local restaurants. Our pets are excited as if this is their new "norm".

I am nervous about an upcoming family trip for 10 of us in late June though. We have an AirBnB in NYC (of all scary places) for 5 nights then flying from there to Beaches Turks & Caicos for 1 week arriving July 1st. As of now the Turks airport is closed and Beaches isn't even open. Just taking it one day at a time. Final Beaches payment approaching quickly...TBD.

I've kept my sanity and not ready to start knitting Tom a scarf yet (as Gertrude did)

[Linked Image from img.photobucket.com]

Marcie

Re: How Is Everyone Getting On? [Re: Marc] #252979 03/29/20 09:22 PM
cruisinfanatic Offline
cruiser
cruiser
We are still hanging in. Cancelled our May trip to Hawaii, but rescheduled for July.....not an easy task, but we had restricted first class tickets and we have to travel by July 31. Uggghhh AA has not extended the travel deadline for domestic travel only international.....so had to bite the bullet and go for as late in July as possible. Maybe we will get lucky and it will work We are really missing our social life....but it is what it is and we are just trying to cope. Lots of facetiming with kids and grandkids which helps.

Rachel - thank you for being there for your patients and doing everything you can.
Marcie - hope your family trip works out, know you have been looking forward to it.
Ralph - so glad your VISA issues worked out and you are good.
Jim and Pat, David and Cindy - so glad you have finally made it home.
Everyone else - stay safe and healthy, hope to see everyone at BOOTS and we can celebrate together.

JoAnn
Re: How Is Everyone Getting On? [Re: Marc] #253113 04/12/20 02:55 AM
Marc Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
One month in and we are doing great; okay, that is the whisky talking. Arlene has been cooking and baking so we are both well fed. I am the provision master and realize I need to talk to the provisioning officer on next cruise on how to manage perishables. We are taking this isolation seriously; curbside pickup groceries is all we do now; I haven't been inside a retail establishment in two weeks. Arlene has not been inside one in over a month.

Jigsaw puzzles are in short supply; I had bought two at Amazon before the inventory disappeared and the price went up; luckily I was able to borrow three from our neighbor; only problem is that she likes more of a challenge than me. I have a grocery pickup on Wednesday; I have figured that we can make it to 15 May based on that order. Still, this is getting old. I should be in the Regent Suite for dinner tonight. waah

We have a two month trip this summer; ok, six weeks now as I have cancelled the first twelve nights. I guess it is much ado about nothing with realization that there are millions of people that are more impacted than us. I sure hope our cruise in September is still a go; and the ones next year too.

Still, Arlene and I are doing well; we are enjoying Netflix and Prime and all our taped tv. I just wish the Masters was on. I rescued eight frogs the other day and to pay me back they were noisy all night long. Tomorrow I have to go into the pond to fertilize the Lillies, I hope the fish and frogs keep their distance.

I hope everyone is doing well. Hopefully we will see many on TOTEM and even more at BOOTS.

Kindest Regards,

Marc

Re: How Is Everyone Getting On? [Re: Marc] #253114 04/12/20 12:35 PM
J
JimR Offline
cruiser
cruiser
J
Hi:
Yes, Mary and I are also doing "well". Yes, it is getting "OLD" . I got up at 4:30 to watch Easter Mass from the Vatican - eerie to see that magnificent venue with a handful of people. Happy Easter and Passover to all.
Mary is doing lots of Jigsaw puzzles; making bread (from scratch); and a few Teddy Bears ( for a some-day charity auction). Her stuffed bunnies were picked up a couple of weeks ago; we have no idea of when/how they will be delivered to the inner city kids. Me? I learned (relearned) a lesson of life two weeks ago - tried to do a all time best 2.5 mile hike time - my knees said Whoa! I now do an early morning "Christopher Columbus" expedition by walking to the end of our empty street and viewing the next empty street.
Stay safe and we will meet at BOOTS.
Jim C

Re: How Is Everyone Getting On? [Re: Marc] #253115 04/12/20 02:29 PM
Ms Understood Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Like Marc we also missed our Regent suite dinner!

Jerry and I are doing ok. As some know I have a very big bi-coastal family. The New Yorkers are all ok as are we here in Los Angeles so we are blessed this Easter Sunday. My brothers in NY are very anxious though and much more worried than we are here in So Cal.

Every night at 5:30 my sisters and I have a Zoom enabled Happy Hour. (FYI Wine.com will deliver Vodka) I was going for a walk every day but for the last week we have had cold and rain every day so instead tackling silly household projects (rolling loose coins, sorting out dozens of random greeting cards, checking pantry expirations 😀). Oh and I watched every episode of Tiger King.

We plan to sit on the couch and watch the 10 am Mass from the Cathedral in Los Angeles . Then Jerry and I will figure out what to do with 2 hams and a turkey that I panic- bought when I thought we would be able to host Easter dinner.

Stay well. Happy Passover. Happy Easter. See you at BOOTS.
—————————
Helen

Re: How Is Everyone Getting On? [Re: Marc] #253116 04/12/20 06:34 PM
seadog Offline
cruiser
cruiser
We are going through closets to de-clutter. Not that we had a lot to begin with since when we moved from Boston we gave away car-loads full of things. In Boston I tended to keep the box something came in. We had a huge storage area for them in the basement. Here, most of them ended up in the garage. We decided to get rid of them and reorganize (lots of recycling!). Also a good opportunity to run the shop-vac on the floor.

We're cooking a lot! It's different now, though. I'm more "European" in my food shopping style --- I like to go nearly daily and pick out what looks good for dinner that night. Now I place an order on-line and they bring it out to the car. BUT, I have to place the order a week in advance! Never know what we will really get. The last two weeks frozen blueberries have been substituted for frozen raspberries (very disappointing to Alice) and frozen peas were substituted for frozen spinach. Very disappointing to me was that instead of getting my "All Dressed" potato chips, I got just regular plain Ruffles. Various other substitutions. So it becomes like an episode of Chopped: What can I make with these random ingredients?

We are lucky to be working and so not have the issue our retired friends have with all the normal recreational activities they do during the day being closed. We've done the work-from-home thing for many years. So it's not something to which we had to adjust. We did travel a lot for work and now that's not happening. But, United is going to extend my status until 2022, so I'm psyched about that! And my Marriott status is lifetime.

And I have Marie Kondo'd my sock drawer.

Re: How Is Everyone Getting On? [Re: Marc] #253117 04/12/20 07:35 PM
Mrs. Marc Offline
cruiser
cruiser
I so enjoyed reading these posts! Helen, I suppose you have been looking at lots of recipes for leftover ham! Too funny. We too have had substitutions on our grocery order. Kim, maybe after this you will be so adept you will go on “chopped” an win a million! We ordered a pork roast and they sent a huge one, so we will be eating that for days! Must admit I have done more cooking and baking this last six weeks than in the last two years combined. I had planned before this to make about 30 mosaic stepping stones for my new garden path, but only bought supplies for about the first four. I sure wish I had more to keep me busy, I could have made all 30 by now. My schedule is completely out of whack. I am a night person so stay up late, late, late, then sleep half the day away. Fine now but will be a habit I will have to break when this is over. Haven’t been out of the house, except when I have to get out a bit and we go for a short drive. I must say at the beginning of this I followed a lot of the news, statistic, etc., but now it is so depressing and sad I try to stay away from it, but seems there is nothing else in the news. Still I feel so lucky we have what we have, so many have it so much worse.

Arlene
Adventure before Dementia!
Re: How Is Everyone Getting On? [Re: Marc] #253118 04/12/20 08:21 PM
Ngaire Online
cruiser
cruiser
I must admit it has not been hard for me at all. Working from home is very easy for me. I always work when I get home each night and on weekends as many of you know. However when it first hit I said I will work on my closet and clean up our office that is a real mess behind the cabinet doors. Taken a break from the computer from time to time and done a little in the office and 90% of it has been thrown out. Old computer technology items. Closet has not been touched.

The other issue is that everyone at KLT has been super busy as so many cancellations need to be handled and we need to set up systems to be sure everything is done. Spreadsheets are LONG and complicated. Now with the shut down of cruises until July 19 the work load is going to be great. We have to wait for Regent to cancel to process cancellations and so far they have been cancelling 30 days at a time and that has made it easier. If they do every cruise up to July 19 it is going to be a lot at one time. Plus people are also booking using the FCC for future cruises. Had to change my two safaris from 2020 to 2021 which has been a real challenge. Still working on that. Not complaining better to be busy than bored. I am good at busy so not good at bored. We are all working from home except Clay, Ken and Susan. So that slows things down as well.

The KLT staff have job security we need everyone of them to handle the work load. No one being laid off at KLT. Could not find a staff like this again. We will hang in there and this too will pass eventually.

We are mostly grilling and doing take out. Ken goes into the office everyday and picks food up on the way home. Had some BAD take out meals so we figured out where not to go. So I cannot say I have spend any more time cooking that I usually do.

We do miss being on a cruise and the biggest thing we miss is the socialization. Seeing people we know and meeting new people too we really enjoy. Never get tired of that we really love that aspect of cruising. The cruises we had booked were ones we were really looking forward to taking. We were fortunate to do the 4 night cruise on the Splendor. Spending more time on the Splendor going through the canal with about 75 people was going to be great. Then SUITES I was so sad to miss that. I hope one day I am able to offer that again. I need to get on my knees at Regent and beg for a second SUITES cruise. Then the Splendor again June 4 with so many of the people on the safari taking the cruise and immediately going down to South Africa. I had hopes that we may be through this by then back in February but it was not to be.

However, when you think of the terrible impact the virus has had on so many people. We eat out at lunch everyday at the office and have lots of favorite servers. I really feel for them and all the people that have lost their jobs. Those that have lost loved ones, the medical staff are probably exhausted. The impact on us is in comparison is very small.

Re: How Is Everyone Getting On? [Re: Marc] #253119 04/12/20 09:19 PM
Ms Understood Offline
cruiser
cruiser
You are right, Ngaire, most of us here are doing ok if not just fine. With Disneyland closed my friends at Club 33 many of whom I have known for 20 years, will be furloughed without pay as of Apr 17. Several of the servers there worked 2 jobs but their other jobs are/were teaching school! Double whammy!
At the office, our clients are primarily health care providers so they are working round the clock and our office is open with all the attorneys and most of the staff working from home.
I guess we need to count our blessings, wear a mask and wash our hands and wait it out until our next adventure.
——————
Helen

Re: How Is Everyone Getting On? [Re: Marc] #253122 04/13/20 05:31 PM
petlover Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Day 32 quarantined for Tom & I.
I'm happy to hear that we're all getting along fine in our own ways. With kids grown and out, I had cut back on cooking or baking anymore w/ or w/o virus. We've orders dinners in about twice a week and groceries delivered as needed. Had great luck with Target.com and Amazon Fresh...not so good with instacart since we received exact same order 2 days in a row...gave most of the 2nd day items to our neighbors.

Still walking the dogs daily when it's not raining so that's a highlight. We decided to watch "Ozark" on Netflix after hearing rave reviews. We're still on the first Series, episode 6. So far, it's not really my type of show...LOTS of sex, foul language, violence 😳 (and I'm not exactly a prude). It is addicting so we keep continuing, not giving up yet. Hoping it might "lessen" as the episodes continue. There must be a reason why it's so recommended. TBD.

Last week we were out of wine and Sambuca (essentials) so our sweet son-in-law (St. Brian) brought over a case of wine and 2 bottles of Sambuca ...we're back in business.

Easter morning we watched LA Mass and also saw Andrea Bocelli at Duomo Milan. Nice!

We're both healthy and spirits high so that's what's important. God Bless all our health care and first responders !! 🙏🏻 Hope all of us stay safe and healthy. Cyber hugs 'around.

Marcie

Re: How Is Everyone Getting On? [Re: Marc] #253128 04/14/20 01:22 AM
R
RachelG Offline
cruiser
cruiser
R
So good to hear from everyone!

Helen, you can freeze ham and turkey just fine.

George and I are fine. I still go to the office everyday. Only surgeries are the really urgent ones, which means they are usually also the really complicated ones—cancer, huge pelvic masses, etc. No easy cases to balance the hard ones out. And everything in the office is really complex, no annual exams. so even though I am seeing fewer patients, the worki am doing is more difficult and time consuming.

George is mostly working from home, on the phone all day. Of course, he still goes to the ranch. That doesn’t change.

Everyone stay healthy and hope to see you all again soon.

Re: How Is Everyone Getting On? [Re: Marc] #253129 04/14/20 05:57 PM
Pam Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Hi Y'all!

I thought I posted, but apparently I'm actually going crazy like I thought I was. I hate to see that our family Alaskan cruise isn't going to happen; I had kept holding out hope. Now we have to find something else to do, because we have to have something to hope and plan for. Ngaire, do safaris fit into school calendars?

We are only keeping the office open on Tuesday and Friday for billings and payrolls, but the roofers are still working and so far we have work. I haven't found anything at home that is calling me to get involved in, but there is still plenty to do.

More cyber hugs from me, and well wishes for everybody.

Re: How Is Everyone Getting On? [Re: Marc] #253130 04/14/20 07:36 PM
A
Ajax Offline
cruiser
cruiser
A
Hello, everyone!
It's so nice to see so many friends checking in during this difficult time (made especially difficult for those of us who like to travel!). For myself, the antidote to being unable to travel right now is to have plans made for travel later on. I now have three cruises booked for 2021/22, each with a different travel friend. It will never be the same cruising without my Penny, but I simply cannot imagine sitting home grieving for the rest of my life. So I am planning to charge ahead and make the most of good health, and a warm and fun group of fellow travelers. I love you all, and look forward to seeing you soon!
Tim

"Life is dull without a Cruise to look forward to!"
Re: How Is Everyone Getting On? [Re: Marc] #253131 04/14/20 10:34 PM
Ngaire Online
cruiser
cruiser
Yes safaris are best May, June, July and August.

Re: How Is Everyone Getting On? [Re: Marc] #253132 04/15/20 01:05 AM
seadog Offline
cruiser
cruiser
That's the spirit, Tim!! Penny would approve! We LCTers love you too!
I've been watching the MalaMala "Rangers in Isolation" daily videos on YouTube. Next best thing to being there!

Re: How Is Everyone Getting On? [Re: Marc] #253134 04/15/20 02:15 AM
S&K Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Kim....me too. Love my daily fix of safari at Mala Mala.

Sheila and Ken
Re: How Is Everyone Getting On? [Re: seadog] #253135 04/15/20 07:26 AM
J
June Offline
cruiser
cruiser
J
Hi Kim
Just had to say thanks for alerting Ralph that MalaMala videos were on UTube by you posting on LCT.
He located them and we enjoyed them immensely. Good way to pass the time in lockdown. Great footage of wild dogs.
We do not mind staying in kiwi land longer than planned, even though we have been unable to see family and friends. My brother Brian comes over once or twice a week for scrabble and dinner. Over here everyone is in a “bubble” which means that one other household can be in your bubble provided it is a person living alone and neither household mixes with another household outside that bubble, so it is no problem. Next week will be our 4th week in lockdown, at which time our PM has hinted we may revert to Alert level 2 or 3 from Alert level 4 which will ease some restrictions. Fingers crossed! Big news here is that Boris Johnson publicly thanked a NZ nurse on TV. She was one of 2 nurses who looked after him for 48 hours straight when he was on oxygen in ICU. He said he believed their care and attention saved his life. Praise indeed!

Re: How Is Everyone Getting On? [Re: Marc] #253136 04/15/20 04:48 PM
Jim B Online
cruiser
cruiser
Hi everyone.
Jan and I spent December, January, & February at Robson Pebble Creek, located in Goodyear, AZ. VRBO fist two months, then friends of ours who live there asked us to stay in their home while
they go to their condo in Mazatlán in February. Only catch was we had to take them and pick them up at Sky Harbor airport. Good deal huh?
Since home we had the March 7th Wake Up & Lace up Fund raiser which was fantastic this year. Then the stay in place happened. Been very good at staying home. I have gone to the grocery store a couple of times
as well as drive through banking. Have been taking about 3 mile walks alone when the weather is good, which has been very weird. We have had 75 degree days, and highs of 15 degree days. Bright and sunny,
and 3 to 4 inches of snow on the ground. One day we had a blizzard for about 1/2 hour and could not see anything outside because it was so bad.
Like a lot of you we have cleaned closets, and storage rooms, watched lots of shows we recorded on our DVR while in AZ. Jan is still working from home on a couple of her PT jobs which keeps her sort of busy.
Did get to golf a couple of days when it was nice. Club house is closed, but we can do one person per cart. They put PVC pipe in each hole so the ball can't go in. That way nobody has to touch the flag
or mess with reaching in the hole for the ball. Other than that we are doing very well.

Jim

Re: How Is Everyone Getting On? [Re: Marc] #253142 04/16/20 12:44 AM
seadog Offline
cruiser
cruiser
June - That bubble strategy seems really good to help single household people keep from climbing the walls! So nice to know you're enjoying the "Rangers in Isolation", too! Some very interesting things they are telling us about that we wouldn't have know.
JimB - Our golf club implemented extreme social distancing measures in order to stay open. Some courses in the state did not, however. So the Governor closed all golf courses. sad

Re: How Is Everyone Getting On? [Re: Marc] #253161 04/17/20 11:58 PM
Ngaire Online
cruiser
cruiser
Just logged into Utube to watch RANGERS IN ISOLATION. Loved seeing the videos BUT so sad we are going to miss our 2020 safari. Looks like our timing in 2020 would have been terrific. Just watched three so far.

Kabula pride 22 lions strong! Gowrie Males with them. Last year Group Two had the wonderful experience of following the Gowrie males for quite a long time in the open
Heavily pregnant female WILD DOG great timing to in June to see the new puppies.
New water flow in the in the River.
Lots of Hyenas around.
Piccadilly Female - happy to see her doing well.
Buffalo look strong after that terrible drought a few years back

Rangers we know so well on the vehicles. I realized I can even recognize their voices.

Think I will do an "at home" safari. One video for the morning drive and one video for the afternoon drive. Just need a Mala Mala buffet lunch with Eggplant Parmigiana to complete the fantasy and Petunia bringing me Mango Sorbet and a cup of English Breakfast tea before I even ask!!

Working hard on moving the 2020 safaris to 2021 and seeing this makes all that work "WORTHWHILE" I absolutely love being on safari!

Going to email Mala Mala and thank them for these videos. I am sure the rangers are loving this - stay out as long as they wish. They all have a passion for the wildlife and they have time to do their own videos.

I JUST EMAILED MALA MALA - Love their response message signature line.

“This too, shall pass. When things are bad, remember: It won’t always be this way. Take one day at a time. When things are good, remember: It won’t always be this way. Enjoy every great moment.”

Re: How Is Everyone Getting On? [Re: Marc] #253230 05/01/20 04:20 PM
Marc Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
We made it through April!

Camelot

Sorry about the video quality.

Re: How Is Everyone Getting On? [Re: Marc] #253234 05/02/20 03:14 PM
petlover Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Today, May 2, is Day 66 (or Tom says 67...whatever ) of Quarantine. It seems even longer to me but we're getting by fine. Ordering dinners and groceries in. I really miss getting together with family and friends. Read books, watched lots of Netflix. Thank goodness we have pets to take for walks and a nice backyard to hang in. Face Time and Zoom "cocktail hour" is fun too.

Hope everyone is doing well and staying healthy !

Marcie

Re: How Is Everyone Getting On? [Re: Marc] #253235 05/02/20 06:03 PM
R
RachelG Offline
cruiser
cruiser
R
I was finally able to do surgery unrestricted as of Monday. Office is still kind of slow, but getting better. I was able to get a haircut yesterday, and today a mani/pedi. And my Pilates studio reopened, so I went for the first time today. I expect to be sore tomorrow. Also planted tomatoes as our June cruise got cancelled, so I will be home to water them.

George is happy because the courthouse opens next week. He has to wear a mask, so he came to my office to get one. He put it on upside down and inside out, bless his heart.

Re: How Is Everyone Getting On? [Re: Marc] #253236 05/02/20 07:56 PM
Ms Understood Offline
cruiser
cruiser
We are getting by here. Sounds like Oklahoma is getting back to normal! Not so much here in LA County. Courts are mostly closed. No haircuts or mani/ pedis here!

Still walking with my sister but she had emergency gallbladder surgery last weekend so much slower walks these days. FYI hospitals are not great places to be when you have no visitors allowed and hence no one to advocate for you. I spent 2 hours in the parking lot while she sat in the lobby just waiting for someone to wheel her out of the building.

Still trying to get the airlines to show my credits for cancelled flights. I call and I’m told it’s on their computer but no one can tell me why this is not reflected in my account when I log in.

Sorry, don’t mean to sound too grumpy. We have beautiful weather, no one is sick, lots of food, dogs to play with , most of my trips next year are already paid for with refunds and wine.com delivers vodka! Life is good.

Stay well.
———————-
Helen

Re: How Is Everyone Getting On? [Re: Marc] #253237 05/02/20 09:37 PM
Marc Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
Helen, I heard that Garrett said that everyone in LA County can have a free virus test; have you been able to get in for the test yet?

Things opening up in Texas; however, there is so much pent up demand. Went to a nursery today and they said max of 20 including employees at one time. As the line standing in the hot sun already had twelve people we decided to skip it. We had gone to two nurseries last week without any issues; after all most of the area is outdoors.

With all the cancelled travel, we are putting the money (and time) into the house. We are having the house painted and then modifying the garden area (adding a bit of grass back) and then fencing the yard (hoping to provide a small deterrence to the deer). Hopefully everything will get done in next few weeks.

We have postponed the departure date for our land trip to early September; hopefully no issues with all the lodges opening up. Two lodges in Grand Tetons (not where we are booked) are closed for summer as they couldn't provide social distancing for their staff (I imagine it is a dorm). We have lodges at Yellowstone and Glacier that are supposed to open 15 June so hopefully we are fine. Still hoping to join up with the group in Vancouver but who knows if the Mariner will be there when we arrive.

There is always BOOTS!!!!

Marc

Re: How Is Everyone Getting On? [Re: Marc] #253238 05/02/20 10:23 PM
Ms Understood Offline
cruiser
cruiser
[quote=Marc]Helen, I heard that Garrett said that everyone in LA County can have a free virus test; have you been able to get in for the test yet?
/quote]

I haven’t tried Marc. I can’t quite get my head around why I would want one. I’m not sick and I haven’t been exposed to anyone who is as far as I know. I stay 6 feet away from all other humans and wear the mandatory mask when I leave the house. I get that whole non-symptomatic thing but even if I tested negative today that doesn’t mean I would be negative tomorrow, so can’t see the point?
—————-
Helen

Re: How Is Everyone Getting On? [Re: Marc] #253239 05/02/20 10:24 PM
Ralph W. Online
cruiser
cruiser
New Zealand went to what they call Level 3 last Tuesday from a total lock down. Level 3 allows for carry out but in a contactless way. Means you pay in advance and pick up at a table at the door of the restaurant. The MacDonalds, KFC, and a local NZ burger place called Burger Fuel. Lines are up to a mile long.

We were able to see June's daughter on Tuesday. Had Shelley, Daniel and his two daughters for lunch. Sort of broke the rule as the daughters are also in a bubble with the ex wife. Really blew up the bubble on Friday as we had a mid afternoon lunch with Chris and Lynette Howell. Had too much wine but a terrific time.

We leave for CA on May 14 and while Orange Co is not in the best of shape especially compared to NZ we are keen to get to our other home in CA and see my son, family etc. Need to do many things that can only be done in CA.

We are hopeful that NZ goes to level 2 which will allow June to go to the hairdresser she has an appointment with on May 13. If not she will continue to have a shaggy mop for hair. I on the other hand have hair longer than someone in the play " HAIR". Never been this long in the last 20 or 30 years.

Hopeful that the Alaska cruise on the Mariner happens but think it is at best 50/50. Really concerned about what NZ does about persons coming into the country in mid November when we are scheduled to return. We could return under current rules but would be required to spend 14 days in a hotel before going to June's flat. That is a non starter. Also if they do not open up the border the SilverSea cruise to the NZ south islands will not happen. That would be very disappointing.

Can not help but think this is the most traumatic event in our life times. Much , much bigger than 9-11 or any other event except WW2. The economic impact will be with us for a long time.

Re: How Is Everyone Getting On? [Re: Ralph W.] #253240 05/03/20 04:27 AM
Mrs. Marc Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Originally Posted by Ralph W.

I on the other hand have hair longer than someone in the play " HAIR". Never been this long in the last 20 or 30 .years.

We need pictures Ralph, I am sure June would oblige!

Arlene
Adventure before Dementia!
Re: How Is Everyone Getting On? [Re: Marc] #253657 09/07/20 04:30 AM
Marc Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
Anyone else ready to get on a plane, or a train, or a ship? Just to go somewhere? We went up to Iowa for a few days last month and it was exhilarating just to be somewhere different. I am so ready to skip town.

Helen and Marcie, once Disneyland and indoor dining at restaurants open up we need to hit the road. I really need a good pastrami sandwich (although Kenny and Ziggy's in Houston is pretty darn good).

See everyone soon!*

Marc

* Wishful thinking.

:LCT:

Re: How Is Everyone Getting On? [Re: Marc] #253658 09/07/20 02:32 PM
Ms Understood Offline
cruiser
cruiser
I know just how you feel Marc! At the moment my sisters and I have plans to go up to wine country for a weekend and in October Jerry and I are planning to meet up with George and Rachel for a couple of days in Utah. Hoping any of that actually happens!
Meanwhile we will look forward to a visit from you and Arlene once things get open here.
———————-
Helen

Re: How Is Everyone Getting On? [Re: Marc] #253659 09/07/20 02:49 PM
petlover Offline
cruiser
cruiser
I feel your pain Marc. I've lost track of how many trips, even short weekend trips within CA we've cancelled. I stopped trying to plan anything new. I so hope we'll see you and Arlene again one of these days. A pastrami sandwich sounds so good to me. Stay safe and sane.

Marcie

Re: How Is Everyone Getting On? [Re: Marc] #253661 09/09/20 12:28 AM
Pam Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Hi y'all! I want to go somewhere, just anywhere! My granddaughter Andrea is back in Boston where she is in grad school. Sarah, the youngest, left with her parents yesterday; she'll be going to college in Savannah. And I am sitting at home (and going to the office). My daughter and I have a tentative long weekend in Nashville planned, early October. We are hoping for slightly cooler weather because there is a Civil War cemetery in Franklin that we are dying to explore. But I want a BIG trip.

What did we all do to deserve this?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  KarenS 

Keene Luxury Travel Offers