Luxury Cruise Talk Logo

Keene Luxury Travel
800-856-1155 · 972-701-9292
Join Our Mailing List · Email us

Who's Online Now
7 registered members (Yallcruise, Ralph W., Ngaire, Davefr, DennisK, Jim B, 1 invisible), 816 guests
Newest Members
DennisK, SuprDave, BarbD, johnsmithpmt, Juliehoover(41381 Registered Users)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
New CDC Order on Cruise Ships #253078 04/10/20 01:21 AM
Marc Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
Found this order linked on cruise critic:

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/No-Sail-Order-Cruise-Ships_Extension_4-9-20-encrypted.pdf

Extending no cruising 100 days from publishing (sometime in next few days) but can end earlier of the emergency declaration is rescinded. Primarily to address repatriation of pax still at sea (Pacific Princess and one other ship) and crew.

Marc

PS 100 days from today is 18 July; it might take ten days to actually publish so looking at late July. I think that date is meaningless as HHS can rescind the emergency declaration at any time or CDC can change this order whenever they want; the 100 days is just a date so that this will be reviewed periodically.

Re: New CDC Order on Cruise Ships [Re: Marc] #253079 04/10/20 01:33 AM
VayaConJim Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Does this order have any authority over ships not calling at US ports?

Follow Stacy and Jim at www.vayacongringos.wordpress.com
Re: New CDC Order on Cruise Ships [Re: VayaConJim] #253082 04/10/20 01:47 AM
Marc Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
Originally Posted by VayaConJim
Does this order have any authority over ships not calling at US ports?

Yes, those using US waterways (out to twelve miles).

Re: New CDC Order on Cruise Ships [Re: Marc] #253088 04/10/20 04:47 AM
Tom G Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Marc, I agree with your assessment. Basically, I feel the order is a declaration to the cruise lines that coronavirus on ships is your problem not ours. The cruise lines have to police it, monitor it and treat it without involving the US healthcare system. This would apply to getting passengers and crew home from cruise ships as well as getting replacement crew on board.

Tom.

Re: New CDC Order on Cruise Ships [Re: Marc] #253089 04/10/20 10:57 AM
jbittle Offline
cruiser
cruiser
My interpretation also is that if the Mariner wants to send crew home from Honolulu or Los Angeles they must use charter aircraft and have USCG approval for their process.

Re: New CDC Order on Cruise Ships [Re: Marc] #253091 04/10/20 02:45 PM
Marc Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
In response, Regent just cancelled cruises for FOUR additional days; will resume now on 15 May instead of 11 May. Here is the new text under health advisory:

Regent Seven Seas Cruises continues to closely monitor the COVID-19 coronavirus situation and the global health environment. With COVID-19 continuing to impact communities and ports around the globe, we have extended our voluntary temporary suspension of voyages embarking through May 14, 2020. We plan to recommence operations beginning May 15, 2020.

We are committed to taking all appropriate steps and actions to combat the spread of COVID-19 and are working closely and in partnership with local, state, federal and global agencies. While this may result in additional future changes, please know our teams are working around the clock to do what is right by our guests and travel partners. We continue to monitor this situation closely and will provide additional updates as they are available.

To ensure guests feel confident about sailing with Regent, we expanded Regent Reassurance to include all existing and new reservations made by May 31, 2020 on Regent Seven Seas Cruises voyages embarking on or before December 31, 2020, guests who have paid in full have the option to cancel up to 48 hours prior to departure date and receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit, which can be applied to any new reservation within one year on any Regent voyage sailing before December 31, 2022.

Please check back for regular updates.

Refund requests can be submitted commencing 15 April:

Refund requests for Seven Seas Splendor on May 12, Seven Seas Voyager on May 11, and Seven Seas Navigator on May 11 can be submitted starting April 15, 2020.

Re: New CDC Order on Cruise Ships [Re: Marc] #253098 04/11/20 12:16 AM
Tom G Offline
cruiser
cruiser
"We plan to recommence operations beginning May 15, 2020." I can't understand how they could make such a statement when they have no idea how passengers would travel to the ships and return home, and lacking a CDC approved medical plan. Sometimes I think the powers that be are on a cruise right now on a river in Egypt.

Tom.

Re: New CDC Order on Cruise Ships [Re: Tom G] #253099 04/11/20 12:31 AM
Marc Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
Originally Posted by Tom G
"We plan to recommence operations beginning May 15, 2020." I can't understand how they could make such a statement when they have no idea how passengers would travel to the ships and return home, and lacking a CDC approved medical plan. Sometimes I think the powers that be are on a cruise right now on a river in Egypt.

Tom.

Yes, I recognize that river. thumbsup

They are saying what they are told to say by NCLH; I don't think any of the three cruise lines are allowed to have an independent thought.

Marc

Re: New CDC Order on Cruise Ships [Re: Marc] #253137 04/15/20 08:02 PM
Marc Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
Here is the final order published in federal register today, 15 April:

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/FR-2020-04-15/pdf/2020-07930.pdf

It starts on page 21004.

Marc

Re: New CDC Order on Cruise Ships [Re: Marc] #253138 04/15/20 08:35 PM
Ngaire Online
cruiser
cruiser
As I understand it this is not a MANDATE but a recommendation. The cruise lines will still probably cancel dates periodically not all dates up to July 19 as recommended by the CDC. I assumed reading this that everything would shut down until July 19 but that is not happened. In reality it probably will be July 19 or later before ships start sailing.

Re: New CDC Order on Cruise Ships [Re: Marc] #253139 04/15/20 08:48 PM
Marc Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
Ngaire, this also doesn't pertain to international destinations, lines could operate out of Europe or South America and not be in violation of the order. As for it being a mandate, it has the power of the Public Health Service Act behind it. The lines (and/or CLIA) need to respond within a week with a plan.

I am still trying to find out what Canada is going to do; with HAL and Princess already canceling all cruises in or out of Vancouver it makes it a lot simpler for Canada to ban all cruises this summer. As for 19 July, this could be rescinded tomorrow (or some other date in next few months) so it would be premature to cancel all USA cruises assuming 19 July was magic date.

Re: New CDC Order on Cruise Ships [Re: Marc] #253140 04/15/20 09:21 PM
Ngaire Online
cruiser
cruiser
When I first read it I thought all cruises up to July 19 would be cancelled by the cruise lines. It certainly read that way but then I heard that is was not as I had imagined it to be. Only time will tell how things will develop.I did see this did not pertain to other areas of the world.

Re: New CDC Order on Cruise Ships [Re: Marc] #253141 04/15/20 11:32 PM
jbittle Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Even if they open cruises in July, will we be able to get flights?

Re: New CDC Order on Cruise Ships [Re: Marc] #253143 04/16/20 12:50 AM
Ngaire Online
cruiser
cruiser
Yet another problem. Ken and I were talking about flights this morning. Things may have to be pretty much back to normal before cruising really starts again.

Re: New CDC Order on Cruise Ships [Re: Marc] #253144 04/16/20 01:05 AM
Lee Offline
cruiser
cruiser
The two week isolation on entering the country will have to be lifted first - that is if you have it. I'm really not expecting to cruise this year and I have an awful feeling that Michael may not make it home for Christmas.

Re: New CDC Order on Cruise Ships [Re: Marc] #253146 04/16/20 05:03 AM
Tom G Offline
cruiser
cruiser
It's my feeling that the order is mandatory, except that it can be withdrawn or modified or extended at any time within the 100 day period. I think the 100 days is simply a guide. It's not a magic date when cruises will be allowed to resume. In order for cruises to start again a series of things must happen.

The US must announce a plan for when and how it will reopen.

The cruise lines must announce a plan for when and how they will resume cruising. Ships would have to be re-positioned and crewed.

The cruise lines will have to have a CDC approved medical plan in place if they want to cruise in US waters.

Foreign ports must announce how and when they will reopen to cruise ships.

Airlines must announce when they plan to resume flights to ports served by the cruise ships.

And most importantly, enough cruise passengers must be willing to travel without having a vaccine for the virus.

I don't think this will all happen quickly. My personal feeling is that cruising will first resume from US ports doing Canada, New England, Mexican and Caribbean itineraries. I don't think there will be a European cruising season this year. I think some ships will have to be mothballed until a full cruise schedule can be resumed.

Tom.

Re: New CDC Order on Cruise Ships [Re: Marc] #253148 04/16/20 08:43 PM
Tom G Offline
cruiser
cruiser
These are the guidelines for reopening the US that will officially be unveiled this evening by the president. They are involved and occur in phases. There are still issues with the “vulnerable population” which many of us fall into.

GUIDELINES OPENING UP
AMERICA AGAIN

OPENING UP AMERICA AGAIN
SYMPTOMS
Downward trajectory of influenza-like illnesses (ILI) reported within a 14-day period
AND
Downward trajectory of covid-like syndromic cases reported within a 14-day period
HOSPITALS
Treat all patients without crisis care AND
Robust testing program in place for
at-risk healthcare workers, including emerging antibody testing
Proposed State or Regional Gating Criteria
(Satisfy Before Proceeding to Phased Opening)
CASES
Downward trajectory of documented cases within a 14-day period
OR
Downward trajectory of positive tests as a percent of total tests within a 14-day period (flat or increasing volume of tests)
*State and local officials may need to tailor the application of these criteria to local circumstances (e.g., metropolitan areas that have suffered severe COVID outbreaks, rural and suburban areas where outbreaks have not occurred or have been mild). Additionally, where appropriate, Governors should work on a regional basis to satisfy these criteria and to progress through the phases outlined below.

OPENING UP AMERICA AGAIN
TESTING & CONTACT TRACING
 Ability to quickly set up safe and efficient screening and testing sites for symptomatic individuals and trace contacts of COVID+ results
 Ability to test Syndromic/ILI-indicated persons for COVID and trace contacts of COVID+ results
 Ensure sentinel surveillance sites are screening for asymptomatic cases and contacts for COVID+ results are traced (sites operate at locations that serve older individuals, lower-income Americans, racial minorities, and Native Americans)
HEALTHCARE SYSTEM CAPACITY
 Ability to quickly and independently supply sufficient Personal Protective Equipment and critical medical equipment to handle dramatic surge in need
 Ability to surge ICU capacity PLANS
 Protect the health and safety of workers in critical industries
 Protect the health and safety of those living and working in high-risk facilities (e.g., senior care facilities)
 Protect employees and users of mass transit
 Advise citizens regarding protocols for social distancing and face coverings
 Monitor conditions and immediately take steps to limit and mitigate any rebounds or outbreaks by restarting a phase or returning to an earlier phase, depending on severity
Core State Preparedness Responsibilities

OPENING UP AMERICA AGAIN
Proposed Phased Approach
BASED ON UP-TO-DATE DATA AND READINESS MITIGATES RISK OF RESURGENCE
PROTECTS THE MOST VULNERABLE
IMPLEMENTABLE ON STATEWIDE OR COUNTY- BY-COUNTY BASIS AT GOVERNORS’ DISCRETION

OPENING UP AMERICA AGAIN
Guidelines for All Phases: Individuals CONTINUE TO PRACTICE GOOD HYGIENE
 Wash your hands with soap and water or use hand sanitizer, especially after touching frequently used items or surfaces.
 Avoid touching your face.
 Sneeze or cough into a tissue, or the inside of your elbow.
 Disinfect frequently used items and surfaces as much as possible.
 Strongly consider using face coverings while in public, and particularly when using mass transit.
PEOPLE WHO FEEL SICK SHOULD STAY HOME
 Do not go to work or school.
 Contact and follow the advice of your medical provider.
Continue to adhere to State and local guidance as well as complementary CDC guidance, particularly with respect to face coverings.

OPENING UP AMERICA AGAIN
Guidelines for All Phases: Employers
Develop and implement appropriate policies, in accordance with Federal, State, and local regulations and guidance, and informed by industry best practices, regarding:
 Social distancing and protective equipment  Temperature checks
 Testing, isolating, and contact tracing
 Sanitation
 Use and disinfection of common and high-traffic areas  Business travel
Monitor workforce for indicative symptoms. Do not allow symptomatic people to physically return to work until cleared by a medical provider.
Develop and implement policies and procedures for workforce contact tracing following employee COVID+ test.

OPENING UP AMERICA AGAIN
Phase One
FOR STATES AND REGIONS THAT SATISFY THE GATING CRITERIA

OPENING UP AMERICA AGAIN
Phase One INDIVIDUALS
ALL VULNERABLE INDIVIDUALS* should continue to shelter in place. Members of households with vulnerable residents should be aware that by returning to work or other environments where distancing is not practical, they could carry the virus back home. Precautions should be taken to isolate from vulnerable residents.
All individuals, WHEN IN PUBLIC (e.g., parks, outdoor recreation areas, shopping areas), should maximize physical distance from others. Social settings of more than 10 people, where appropriate distancing may not be practical, should be avoided unless precautionary measures are observed.
Avoid SOCIALIZING in groups of more than 10 people in circumstances that do not readily allow for appropriate physical distancing (e.g., receptions, trade shows)
MINIMIZE NON-ESSENTIAL TRAVEL and adhere to CDC guidelines regarding isolation following travel.
*See Appendix 1 for Definition of Vulnerable Individuals
EACH PHASE OF THIS GUIDANCE ADDRESSES THOSE ASPECTS OF DAILY LIFE FOR WHICH RESTRICTIONS REMAIN APPROPRIATE DUE TO COVID.

OPENING UP AMERICA AGAIN
Phase One EMPLOYERS
Continue to ENCOURAGE TELEWORK, whenever possible and feasible with business operations.
If possible, RETURN TO WORK IN PHASES.
Close COMMON AREAS where personnel are likely to congregate and interact,
or enforce strict social distancing protocols.
Minimize NON-ESSENTIAL TRAVEL and adhere to CDC guidelines regarding isolation following travel.
Strongly consider SPECIAL ACCOMMODATIONS for personnel who are members of a VULNERABLE POPULATION.
EACH PHASE OF THIS GUIDANCE ADDRESSES THOSE ASPECTS OF DAILY LIFE FOR WHICH RESTRICTIONS REMAIN APPROPRIATE DUE TO COVID.

OPENING UP AMERICA AGAIN
Phase One
SPECIFIC TYPES OF EMPLOYERS
SCHOOLS AND ORGANIZED YOUTH ACTIVITIES (e.g., daycare, camp) that are currently closed should remain closed.
VISITS TO SENIOR LIVING FACILITIES AND HOSPITALS should be prohibited. Those who do interact with residents and patients must adhere to strict protocols regarding hygiene.
LARGE VENUES (e.g., sit-down dining, movie theaters, sporting venues, places of worship) can operate under strict physical distancing protocols.
ELECTIVE SURGERIES can resume, as clinically appropriate, on an outpatient basis at facilities that adhere to CMS guidelines.
GYMS can open if they adhere to strict physical distancing and sanitation protocols. BARS should remain closed.

OPENING UP AMERICA AGAIN
Phase Two
FOR STATES AND REGIONS WITH NO EVIDENCE OF A REBOUND AND THAT SATISFY THE GATING CRITERIA A SECOND TIME

OPENING UP AMERICA AGAIN
Phase Two INDIVIDUALS
ALL VULNERABLE INDIVIDUALS should continue to shelter in place. Members of households with vulnerable residents should be aware that by returning to work or other environments where distancing is not practical, they could carry the virus back home. Precautions should be taken to isolate from vulnerable residents.
All individuals, WHEN IN PUBLIC (e.g., parks, outdoor recreation areas, shopping areas), should maximize physical distance from others. Social settings of more than 50 people, where appropriate distancing may not be practical, should be avoided unless precautionary measures are observed.
NON-ESSENTIAL TRAVEL can resume.

OPENING UP AMERICA AGAIN
Phase Two EMPLOYERS
Continue to ENCOURAGE TELEWORK, whenever possible and feasible with business operations.
Close COMMON AREAS where personnel are likely to congregate and interact, or enforce moderate social distancing protocols.
NON-ESSENTIAL TRAVEL can resume.
Strongly consider SPECIAL ACCOMMODATIONS for personnel who are members of a VULNERABLE POPULATION.

OPENING UP AMERICA AGAIN
Phase Two
SCHOOLS AND ORGANIZED YOUTH ACTIVITIES (e.g., daycare, camp) can reopen.
VISITS TO SENIOR CARE FACILITIES AND HOSPITALS should be prohibited. Those who do interact with residents and patients must adhere to strict protocols regarding hygiene.
LARGE VENUES (e.g., sit-down dining, movie theaters, sporting venues, places of worship) can operate under moderate physical distancing protocols.
ELECTIVE SURGERIES can resume, as clinically appropriate, on an outpatient and in-patient basis at facilities that adhere to CMS guidelines.
GYMS can remain open if they adhere to strict physical distancing and sanitation protocols.
BARS may operate with diminished standing-room occupancy, where applicable and appropriate.

OPENING UP AMERICA AGAIN
Phase Three
FOR STATES AND REGIONS WITH NO EVIDENCE OF A REBOUND AND THAT SATISFY THE GATING CRITERIA A THIRD TIME

OPENING UP AMERICA AGAIN
Phase Three INDIVIDUALS
VULNERABLE INDIVIDUALS can resume public interactions, but should practice physical distancing, minimizing exposure to social settings where distancing may not be practical, unless precautionary measures are observed.
LOW-RISK POPULATIONS should consider minimizing time spent in crowded environments.
Phase Three EMPLOYERS
Resume UNRESTRICTED STAFFING of worksites.

OPENING UP AMERICA AGAIN
Phase Three
VISITS TO SENIOR CARE FACILITIES AND HOSPITALS can resume. Those who interact with residents and patients must be diligent regarding hygiene.
LARGE VENUES (e.g., sit-down dining, movie theaters, sporting venues, places of worship) can operate under limited physical distancing protocols.
GYMS can remain open if they adhere to standard sanitation protocols.
BARS may operate with increased standing room occupancy, where applicable.

OPENING UP AMERICA AGAIN
Appendix
Vulnerable Individuals
1. Elderly individuals.
2. Individuals with serious underlying health conditions, including high blood pressure, chronic lung disease, diabetes, obesity, asthma, and those whose immune system is compromised such as by chemotherapy for cancer and other conditions requiring such therapy.

Re: New CDC Order on Cruise Ships [Re: Marc] #253149 04/16/20 11:27 PM
Marc Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
Nice plan; I guess cruise ships don't operate again until Phase 3.

Re: New CDC Order on Cruise Ships [Re: Marc] #253150 04/17/20 12:31 AM
Ms Understood Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Thanks for the info, Tom.

Marc, why doesn’t cruising open up at phase 2 when non essential travel opens? We are still hoping our Oceania cruise in October (Los Angeles -Los Angeles) is still going to go. With just a short stop in Mexico it is just up and down the coast of California but at least we would be cruising! 🤞🏻
——————-
Helen

Re: New CDC Order on Cruise Ships [Re: Marc] #253151 04/17/20 01:47 AM
Marc Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
Helen, this part of Phase 2:

Phase Two INDIVIDUALS
ALL VULNERABLE INDIVIDUALS should continue to shelter in place. Members of households with vulnerable residents should be aware that by returning to work or other environments where distancing is not practical, they could carry the virus back home. Precautions should be taken to isolate from vulnerable residents.
All individuals, WHEN IN PUBLIC (e.g., parks, outdoor recreation areas, shopping areas), should maximize physical distance from others. Social settings of more than 50 people, where appropriate distancing may not be practical, should be avoided unless precautionary measures are observed.

Many of us are considered vulnerable and no groups more than 50. Precautionary measures could be spot testing all before they board or therapeutics being available. Who knows what tomorrow will bring.

Marc

Re: New CDC Order on Cruise Ships [Re: Marc] #253153 04/17/20 04:40 AM
Tom G Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Technically, I think cruising could resume in phase two. But I don't know if there would be enough passengers to make it worthwhile for the ships to sail. That would be up to the cruise lines when they decide when to resume. "Vulnerable individuals" make up a substantial part of the cruising population.

Tom.

Re: New CDC Order on Cruise Ships [Re: Marc] #253154 04/17/20 02:25 PM
R
RachelG Offline
cruiser
cruiser
R
Helen, I am still holding out hope for our cruise, but it is the end of September rather than October, unless they booked me on the wrong cruise.

Re: New CDC Order on Cruise Ships [Re: Marc] #253155 04/17/20 03:34 PM
Pam Offline
cruiser
cruiser
If things were to go 100% our way, we would be disembarking in Vancouver on July 1. We hold on to that thin thread of hope.

Re: New CDC Order on Cruise Ships [Re: Marc] #253160 04/17/20 07:32 PM
Ms Understood Offline
cruiser
cruiser
You are right, Rachel, it is Sept not October. Fingers crossed
—————————
Helen

Moderated by  KarenS 

Keene Luxury Travel Offers