Luxury Cruise Talk Logo

Keene Luxury Travel
800-856-1155 · 972-701-9292
Join Our Mailing List · Email us

Who's Online Now
5 registered members (Ngaire, Jim B, seadog, DennisK, 1 invisible), 944 guests
Newest Members
DennisK, SuprDave, BarbD, johnsmithpmt, Juliehoover(41381 Registered Users)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
SEA MAIL FROM ADELIE #252426 01/01/20 12:55 PM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
Just starting the thread for the Antarctica trip, I love this acronym - ADELIE - Antarctic Destination Enhances Life in Everyone!

We leave today and looking forward to seeing everyone in Santiago and cannot wait to board the Silver Cloud. I really like this ship, it is like an upscale Song of Flower. Hopefully we will be able to post some pictures of the adorable Adelie penguins from the ship.

Re: SEA MAIL FROM ADELIE [Re: Ngaire] #252427 01/01/20 08:44 PM
R
RachelG Offline
cruiser
cruiser
R
We are enroute as well. Really looking forward to seeing everyone, and getting my 7th continent.

Re: SEA MAIL FROM ADELIE [Re: Ngaire] #252428 01/02/20 12:17 AM
Mrs. Marc Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Marc and I both consider our Antarctica cruise the best trip of all that we have done in almost 20 years of traveling. I hope all of you enjoy yours as much as we did. Can’t wait for the pictures and reports!

Arlene
Adventure before Dementia!
Re: SEA MAIL FROM ADELIE [Re: Ngaire] #252429 01/02/20 03:23 AM
R
RachelG Offline
cruiser
cruiser
R
So funny. Waiting for our luggage in Miami, i hear this voice with a New Zealand accent saying “Rachel”. Look around and there is Ngaire, still with a bruised and swollen eye, and Ken. We are on the same flight tomorrow.

Re: SEA MAIL FROM ADELIE [Re: RachelG] #252430 01/02/20 03:18 PM
pammy Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Hi Rachel

I agree with Arlene, one of our best trips. Keep an eye(pun) on our fearless leader and remind her to follow her dr's orders. Have a wonderful trip. It's all wonderful. Calm seas and clear skies to all.

Re: SEA MAIL FROM ADELIE [Re: Ngaire] #252431 01/02/20 10:06 PM
seadog Online
cruiser
cruiser
We are in the Qantas lounge at LAX soon to board our flight to Santiago. We had a great visit with Helen and Jerry. Last night they took us to dinner at Club 33 at Disneyland with Barbara, Fred/Alex and two of their children with their friends and a girlfriend. The dinner was special. The park still had the holiday decorations and vibe. Fireworks were spectacular!

Re: SEA MAIL FROM ADELIE [Re: Ngaire] #252433 01/03/20 02:52 AM
S&K Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Kim.... We wish we were in the Qantas lounge with you and Alice. Have a wonderful trip everyone. So many of our KLT friends are on this cruise. Looking forward to lots of seamail.

Sheila and Ken
Re: SEA MAIL FROM ADELIE [Re: Ngaire] #252434 01/03/20 03:48 AM
Ms Understood Offline
cruiser
cruiser
You and me both Sheila, wishing we were in the Qantas lounge on our way to Antarctica! Bon Voyage to all lucky enough to be on this trip!
———————
Helen

Re: SEA MAIL FROM ADELIE [Re: Ngaire] #252435 01/03/20 10:31 AM
petlover Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Tom & I and Sue & Ray arrived an extra day early here at this beautiful Mandarin Oriental Hotel. We had a nice long dinner eating outside at the Italian restaurant here last night...love the warm weather. This hotel is only a 5 minute walk to a large mall if anyone arrives today and forgot something.

Lots more arriving here today...so happy to see everyone and meet new friends.
Friends and family at home still can't believe this is our second trip to South Georgia & Antarctica.
We do feel very blessed!

Marcie

Re: SEA MAIL FROM ADELIE [Re: Ngaire] #252436 01/03/20 01:33 PM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
Very nice flight down with Joe and Janice, George and Rachel, John and Dorothy. Loved the plane it has one of my favorite seats with lots of storage space. This hotel is lovely. Big rooms, gorgeous grounds and great service. All four couples got rooms very quickly, which is always very nice.

Tonight at 6.00 pm there is a Silversea get together so we will get to see everyone, this is a wonderful group on this trip. Marcie has a new haircut she looks fantastic I really like it.

Then tomorrow, the Silver Cloud can’t wait to get onboard again, I love this little ship.

Re: SEA MAIL FROM ADELIE [Re: Ngaire] #252438 01/05/20 09:06 PM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
Such a beautiful day in Ushuaia on our arrival, sun was shining and not cold at all. The water in the beagle channel was totally calm. It has been very pleasant sailing with good seas and once in a while a white cap but very comfortable. Still looking good for the days at seas to reach South Georgia. Weather changes very quickly in this area of the world but our time at South Georgia is still looking very hopeful.

Lot of KLT trivia teams all over the place today. By the time I got there the people I normally play with had six so I joined some other KLT people and we did really well, in fact we won. I think one of our other teams won also.

Really nice to see so many people, this trip is loaded with KLT people that I love traveling with and the new ones as well have all turned out to be very nice.

Menu has dramatically increased for dinner, lots of choices so it was a great dinner.

Two more day then South Georgia!

Re: SEA MAIL FROM ADELIE [Re: Ngaire] #252445 01/08/20 01:14 PM
R
RachelG Offline
cruiser
cruiser
R
First landing in South Georgia did not disappoint. Fur seals and king penguins everywhere.

KLT cocktail party was yesterday. Met some interesting new people as well as lots of old friends.

Seas have been like glass so far.

Re: SEA MAIL FROM ADELIE [Re: Ngaire] #252446 01/08/20 01:41 PM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
Super calm this morning for everyone’s first zodiac ashore at Grytviken which was a whaling processing station and also where Shackelton’s grave is located. It is an interesting landing that also has a tiny church. Beautiful spot with glaciers in the mountains.

I am being very careful with my damaged eye and decided against Grytviken as there is less wildlife there which is what I really love. I plan on going ashore this afternoon at Fortuna Bay hopefully to give a landing a whirl and all will be well. Hopefully it will not be too windy. Ken took some good pictures this morning and I will try posting these today. There were some Kings at Grytviken and I do not remember seeing kings here in the past just gentoos.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Molting Penguins

Susan and Paul at Shackeltons Grave

Unusual behavior

Sibling rivalry?

Re: SEA MAIL FROM ADELIE [Re: Ngaire] #252447 01/08/20 05:37 PM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
Unfortunately there was too much swell for landing at Fortuna Bay so they are doing a zodiac cruise instead. At least the people who are in Antarctica for the first time (most of the guests) will experience a landing and zodiac cruise on their first day.

Kens pictures from the zodiac cruise.

There were seals all around the zodiac in the water

Stunning scenery

Two giant petrels fighting over food

To go in or not go in - that is the question

This is a picture taken by Pete and I wanted to post this, it is a great shot from the zodiac ride. This seal is enjoying a nice fish breakfast.

Tomorrow the plan is for Salisbury Plains. My favorite spot in South Georgia.

Re: SEA MAIL FROM ADELIE [Re: Ngaire] #252448 01/09/20 10:08 AM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
We woke to bright sunshine, blue sky, and water that looked like glass it looked like perfect conditions. BUT then I saw the swell crashing on the beach. I knew immediately that we would not be landing. Large swells make landing from zodiacs very difficult and not safe.

They moved the ship around to a different landing site where it is more protected from the swell so we can walk to Salisbury Plains. It is much better landing right on the beach but we cannot control mother nature. At least people are getting to see a huge King Penguin colony. The sun is shining on the snow on the mountain tops and if there was ever a nice day for a walk it would be today. Temperature at about 6.30 am was already 41 degrees and in the sun it should be a great day.

UPDATE - the ship is buzzing with excitement. They were able to go up a hill once they got to the main colony and look down over the thousands of penguins below. Ken is working on his pictures now and hopefully get some up shortly.

Penguins as far as you can see

Returning to the ship.

Re: SEA MAIL FROM ADELIE [Re: Ngaire] #252450 01/09/20 05:41 PM
petlover Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Today was such an AWESOME day. Weather was wonderful at Salisbury Plains and I've never seen so much wildlife in one location. If I kept track of "steps per day" I'd be off the chart. I took a couple dozen photos but I'm sure none will compare to what Ken took. I'm anxious to see his.

It was definitely an A+++ landing.

Marcie

Re: SEA MAIL FROM ADELIE [Re: Ngaire] #252452 01/10/20 12:42 AM
Freddie Offline
cruiser
cruiser
As some of the longtime members of this board may recall, we had a substantial Seamail thread from POP, the Hanseatic cruise in Antarctica back in 2007. The landing at Salisbury Plain was one of the highlights of the trip. Here is the message that I sent from the ship:

Saturday, Jan. 27 - South Georgia Island -

(with sincere apologies to Alfred, Lord Tennyson):

Penguins to the right of them.
Penguins to the left of them.
Penguins in front of them
Tweetered and chattered.
So onto the great plain of Kings
Strode the brave POOPsters.
And on this bright morn,
On fair Salisbury Plain,
We have met the Kings;
And we are theirs.

Yes, indeed, ladies and gentlemen and kiddies of all ages, today we all fulfilled our fantasies of walking among the King penguins. That is for most of us one of the primary purposes of taking this itinerary. We were not disappointed. It was magical - they entirely captured our hearts.

Re: SEA MAIL FROM ADELIE [Re: Ngaire] #252453 01/10/20 02:07 AM
D
dhq77 Offline
cruiser
cruiser
D
Wow they actually got to go up the hill? Last time we just wandered in a little from the water. DIdn't know you could go further. Will have to remember for next year. Keep the pictures and posts coming.

Re: SEA MAIL FROM ADELIE [Re: Ngaire] #252454 01/10/20 04:27 AM
Mrs. Marc Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Freddie, I remember reading your post and laughing out loud! These pictures bring back so many memories. There
is no place in the world quite like it!

Arlene
Adventure before Dementia!
Re: SEA MAIL FROM ADELIE [Re: dhq77] #252455 01/10/20 09:23 AM
R
RachelG Offline
cruiser
cruiser
R
We did indeed get to climb up the hill. It was a climb not for the faint of heart. George led the way of course. Very steep and muddy. I resorted to grabbing the tussock grass and pulling myself up, but it was worth it. Penguins as far as the eye could see. George pronounced the morning as his best short hike ever.

Re: SEA MAIL FROM ADELIE [Re: Ngaire] #252456 01/10/20 12:38 PM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
It was a beautiful day but there was a swell breaking on the shore. So we moved to another landing site on the back side of the colony. Then walked in and some climbed the hill. So we were looking down to the regular landing site.

Re: SEA MAIL FROM ADELIE [Re: Ngaire] #252457 01/10/20 01:04 PM
Marc Offline
cruiser
cruiser
And today? Prion Island? Gold Harbor? Cooper Bay?

I agree that Salisbury Plain is fantastic; great memories.

Re: SEA MAIL FROM ADELIE [Re: Ngaire] #252458 01/10/20 01:54 PM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
This morning we landed at Stromness, the place where Shackleton finally reached to get help after landing on South Georgia. This included a hike to a waterfall. Overcast and a little rain today but not heavy.

Plan for this afternoon was to head back to Fortuna Bay as Brad (expedition leader) felt the swell may have decreased and we could land there. Gold Harbour is at the other end of the island and according to windy (a weather site) the swell is high there so that will not be on the agenda. We will get the latest plans when this landing at Stromness is completed.

Re: SEA MAIL FROM ADELIE [Re: Ngaire] #252459 01/10/20 01:58 PM
Marc Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Ngaire, were the reindeer still there during the walk to the waterfall? IIRC, they were in process of removing them when we were there.

Marc

Re: SEA MAIL FROM ADELIE [Re: Marc] #252460 01/10/20 05:19 PM
R
RachelG Offline
cruiser
cruiser
R
Marc, all reindeer have been eliminated. They had a couple of authorized hunts.

Re: SEA MAIL FROM ADELIE [Re: Ngaire] #252461 01/10/20 05:52 PM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
We are at Fortuna Bay and landing has commenced. Good conditions, even a little sun. Brad had warned it might be a hard landing but conditions are better than expected. Nice ending to our South Georgia expedition. Pictures will follow we are still onboard.

Lots of baby seals

Cute baby seal

Skua

Brown balls of fluff are juvenile penguins molting

Walking back to the ship

Re: SEA MAIL FROM ADELIE [Re: Ngaire] #252466 01/12/20 02:46 AM
Marc Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Ngaire, thanks for the info on windy.com. Hopefully this image updates with current Elephant Island conditions for your landing on Monday:

https://www.windy.com/-61.151/-55.148/waves?waves,2020-01-13-18,-61.274,-55.035,9,m:XfaeDg

edited to add: Can't get img to post directly, but url works.

PS Thanks for all the pics, brings back wonderful memories.

Re: SEA MAIL FROM ADELIE [Re: Ngaire] #252467 01/12/20 08:03 PM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
Two crazy New Zealanders, Ian and Chris swimming in the pool then jumping in the hot tub. No wonder I immigrated to the USA not tough enough to be a New Zealander.

Re: SEA MAIL FROM ADELIE [Re: Ngaire] #252468 01/13/20 11:34 AM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
We arrived at Elephant Island this morning. They were able to do the zodiac cruise, the swell was okay but it was pretty windy so it will be very cold. I did not go and our group is out now. I forgot how spectacular Elephant Island can look. There are icebergs around and when the sun shines on the icebergs they light up and look so beautiful. The weather for the Antarctic Peninsula looks excellent so I think we will have some great days ahead.

Three shots as the chinstrap penguin turns his head 180 degrees

Re: SEA MAIL FROM ADELIE [Re: Ngaire] #252469 01/14/20 12:47 AM
Leslie B Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Wish we were there. Killer penguin shot Ken!

Leslie

Re: SEA MAIL FROM ADELIE [Re: Ngaire] #252470 01/14/20 11:37 AM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
Two new adventures today at sites we have never been to before.

We arrived at Spert Island. Totally calm, just a little fog we hope will lift. However it has a mystical beauty with the mountains, icebergs and moving fog. We are the last zodiac this morning at around 11.00 am which may be a blessing as we are starting to see a little blue sky so in a few hours it may be even nicer. Some icebergs in front of the island. This island has a colony of penguins. About 40 degrees so not too cold.

This afternoon we are going around the island to Mickelson Harbour. This Harbour is surrounded by glaciers and has another colony of penguins. I love the landing sites that have glaciers it is so beautiful.

Looking forward to a great day!!!

Re: SEA MAIL FROM ADELIE [Re: Ngaire] #252471 01/14/20 09:48 PM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
SPERT ISLAND

Well today did not disappoint! The morning zodiac tour we saw high cliffs with different colored moss, lichens, and fungus. Grows about one inch every 50 years! Lots of beautiful icebergs, one with penguins and we were told there was a leopard seal below but did not see the seal. We went through tunnels in the cliffs on the zodiac it was a great morning.

The kayak group saw a leopard seal and humpback whales really close. The people In the kayaks said from water level in a kayak those whales were HUGE

The penguins on the top of a big iceberg to be safe from the leopard seal.

A close of the cute little guys.

About to head into the cliff tunnel

Sue and Ray

Sue, Marcie and Tom

Ngaire, Ken, Tom, Mamie then on the other side from the back Tommie, Marcie, Sue, Ray

Re: SEA MAIL FROM ADELIE [Re: Ngaire] #252472 01/15/20 03:44 AM
Marc Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Originally Posted by Ngaire

Tomorrow Neko Harbour and Paradise Bay and the Lemaire Channel. Weather still looks great.

Ngaire, where are you going to step foot on the Continent? I don't remember where in Neko Harbour or Paradise Bay you can get on the mainland; I think we were on an island when we did the snow slide.

Really enjoying the pictures; do you have any pictures of Kim and Alice with penguins?

Marc

Re: SEA MAIL FROM ADELIE [Re: Ngaire] #252473 01/15/20 04:02 PM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
Marc, we will be visiting a research station for the continental landing. Not sure when yet.
Ken is working on pictures now. Seems like we end up on zodiacs with Marcie And Tom all the time not sure we have any pictures with Kim and Alice with penguins.

MICKELSON HARBOUR

In the afternoon we went to Mickelson Harbour. A Gentoo colony and a stunning bay surrounded by icebergs. There were some baby chicks and one lone Adelie.

Both penguins wanted the same stone. It was big and they kept dropping it.

Mothers and baby chicks. About three weeks old.

The kayaks in the bay

Linda, David, Cindy, Paul and Susan. First landing in Antarctica - they all look a little tentative, not sure what was worrying them. Look at their faces.

BUT, in contrast at dinner with great food and alcohol they look like a very happy group. See below.

Re: SEA MAIL FROM ADELIE [Re: Ngaire] #252474 01/15/20 04:03 PM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
Neko Harbour. One of my favorite spots. Gentoo's everywhere with a back drop of a very large glacier. Lots of small icebergs in the bay.

I always go to the nearest colony, sit on the rocks and watch the penguins. So much activity in the colony. Lots of pebble gathering to add to the nests. Including stealing peddles from the other penguins nests with the following outrage from the nest owner. Squawking and chasing the intruder away. Lots of tiny chicks with the mothers feeding them. One penguin had a newly hatched chick and another egg still incubating.

Just a beautiful spot that is really surreal.

One egg has hatched - one to go.

Mother and chicks all giving a penguin too close the evil eye.
This little family did not like anyone getting too close - lots of noise from mom and chicks

So many small chicks

Collecting pebbles for the nests is the major activity in the colony.

Polly, she is our resident artist and paints outstanding pictures. Kim is also in the picture.

Coming back to the ship. - Ngaire, Ron, Linda, Patrice,driver, the hat of Laura, Susan, David, Alice and Kim

Re: SEA MAIL FROM ADELIE [Re: Ngaire] #252475 01/16/20 12:13 AM
lonestarlady Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Where is Linda's hat?!?!? laugh grin

Awesome photos - brings back wonderful memories of our trip last year.

Cindy
TravelingTexasDuo.com

"In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." - Abraham Lincoln
Re: SEA MAIL FROM ADELIE [Re: Ngaire] #252476 01/16/20 12:16 AM
Marc Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Thanks for all the people (and penguin) pics. Did you get any good pics of Cape Renard? Can't wait for Lemaire (Kodak) Channel pics.

Alice and Kim, wonderful to see your smiling faces!

Marcie, have you found a penguin to "rescue" and bring home?

We are sure missing being with you on your wonderful adventure.

Marc

Re: SEA MAIL FROM ADELIE [Re: Ngaire] #252479 01/16/20 01:18 AM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
Cindy,
Laura’s hat not Linda’s but you can just see the top of her hat.

Marc,
Cape Renard sorry so pictures.
Unfortunately the fog rolled in and the Lemaire Channel could not be seen.
Neko Harbour is stepping on the continent and that was a better stop than a scientific station

Last day in Antarctica tomorrow time has just flown by. Looking at windy, our crossing should be okay. Cannot complain we have had a good trip and excellent weather.

Ken got some good shots today in Paradise Bay including the leopard seal that I will post tomorrow

Re: SEA MAIL FROM ADELIE [Re: Ngaire] #252480 01/16/20 01:57 PM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
PARADISE BAY

Leopard Seals

Weddell Seal

Almaltie Brown Scientific Station. We have landed here before but could not do it on this day

Re: SEA MAIL FROM ADELIE [Re: Ngaire] #252481 01/16/20 02:04 PM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
PLEANEAU -Iceberg Graveyard - I prefer Iceberg Garden

Have only done this once before and I think it was from the Hanseatic years ago. I have asked before and was told it was too dangerous so not allowed. However today I found out that was not true. This was more spectacular than our prior experience. Absolutely stunning.

Ngaire, Ken, Suzanne, Patrice, Mark, Laura, Kim, and Alice.

Icebergs- hard to get the perspective from a photo but these are a few pictures.

Here there were two Weddell seals, this one and one in the water. Also three penguins on the rocks as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KarenS 

Keene Luxury Travel Offers