Luxury Cruise Talk Logo

Keene Luxury Travel
800-856-1155 · 972-701-9292
Join Our Mailing List · Email us

Who's Online Now
5 registered members (Ngaire, RachelG, Jim B, seadog, 1 invisible), 769 guests
Newest Members
DennisK, SuprDave, BarbD, johnsmithpmt, Juliehoover(41381 Registered Users)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sea mail from THOR EXP190808 #251969 08/07/19 07:50 AM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
Great new first class seat in the American 777-300. Slept well on the way over.

Once in London we found our Copenhagen flight has been cancelled. We seldom come in the night before glad we did this time. Rumor has it BA systems are down. Moving people to other airlines. Ken is in line now trying to get rerouted.

Re: Sea mail from THOR EXP190808 [Re: Ngaire] #251975 08/09/19 11:33 AM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
We made it to Copenhagen and our bags did as well. We were not expecting the bags as we changed airlines and with computers down it was causing major issues.

Ship looks great and some very familiar faces aboard and that is always nice.
We took the first tour off and got “things” done.

Beautiful day, sun was shining. So nice to be onboard.

Re: Sea mail from THOR EXP190808 [Re: Ngaire] #251979 08/10/19 09:06 PM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
Been a whirlwind of activity since we boarded. Lots of things we had to get sorted out. Had so much going on we cancelled our first two tours. Have had perfect sailing weather very smooth seas.

We were in Bergen today and as expected it was raining. However those that went on tour seemed to have a good time. Ken went into Bergen for a walk around 2.30 pm. Took some pictures below

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Food has been great. Tomorrow is our party at 10.00am to 11.00 am. Then the special Sunday brunch and crossing the Arctic circle festivities.

[Linked Image]

Re: Sea mail from THOR EXP190808 [Re: Ngaire] #251980 08/11/19 04:33 PM
R
RachelG Online
cruiser
cruiser
R
Hope your weather is better than ours. We are currently on Silver Cloud in Iceland and have missed two stops (Ranganes and Vigur Island) due to bad weather. Fortunately we had been to Vigur before ( on a picture perfect day), but really disappointed to miss Ranganes.

Re: Sea mail from THOR EXP190808 [Re: Ngaire] #251981 08/11/19 05:55 PM
petlover Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Cute picture of you Ngaire. I know Lynsay Barron, Luke & Benjamin are on board with you too.

Rachel, sorry for the yucky weather you're having...hope it improves soon!

Marcie

Re: Sea mail from THOR EXP190808 [Re: Ngaire] #251985 08/12/19 07:12 AM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
Luke is now stunningly handsome. I should try and take a picture. Not seen Benjamin yet. Having John on board is great he adds a vitality to the cruise. That was John behind the white beard. Food has been outstanding.

We had a mimosa and Bloody Mary get together yesterday. It was a sea day and I think this might be better than a cocktail part in the evening. There are always conflicts with late tours, dining reservations, and often the block party.
More relaxed and it worked out well.

Right now we are sailing into our first Norwegian Fjord. The sun is shining, clear blue sky, just a few thin white clouds for contrast. Not a breath of wind. Totally spectacular with the green mountains and colorful homes on the banks of the water.

We had a wonderful day in Harstad. The scenery of the town and fjord was beautiful. Lots of pretty homes and flower gardens. Some did a hike and absolutely loved it. We walked along the fjords which was really beautiful on the way to visit a small historic church. The views from the coach were stunning, a very scenic drive. My favorite thing was a model replica of a Norwegian town complete with little people, trains, cars and even a ski jump.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Ngaire, Jim and Pam
[Linked Image]

Re: Sea mail from THOR EXP190808 [Re: Ngaire] #251992 08/14/19 08:55 AM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
Another glorious day in Bodo. I booked the Aviation museum. Ken loves any thing to do with Aviation. I enjoyed the tour more than I thought I would. A military and commercial exhibit. The military was the best. Had a U2 plane, spitfire, mig, all types of planes. Also the casing from the atomic bomb that hit Hiroshima. Much smaller than I would have imagined. We met Jim and Pam in the elevator they had just booked the tour. Being left to wander on our own is how I always prefer to visit a museum.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
The black plane suspended from the roof behind the tiger plane is the U2 spy plane.

[Linked Image]
This is a spitfire

Re: Sea mail from THOR EXP190808 [Re: Ngaire] #251993 08/15/19 07:57 PM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
Just cannot post pictures either on our iPad or computer. Been a great trip but internet here is not great. Websites hard to access. Images extremely difficult.

Another stunning day in Alesund. This is a beautiful little town. We went to the overview and had an incredible view of Alesund. Tour of the town and then the Ocean park. The entire Turner family was with us for the tour. Hopefully at some point I can post pictures.

[Linked Image]
Beautiful Alesund

[Linked Image]

Pam, Jim and Ngaire
[Linked Image]
Ken and Ozzie

[Linked Image]
Hummer Lobster. Really blue

[Linked Image]
Sea otter in the ocean park

[Linked Image]
Penguin - in the Ocean Park

Re: Sea mail from THOR EXP190808 [Re: Ngaire] #251998 08/17/19 08:28 PM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
In the fjords for a few days so no internet on now but very spotty. I will try and post more and pictures tomorrow we will be out of the fjords.

Geiranger yet another stunning nice day. Great trip up the mountain. Postcard perfect conditions.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Joined Jim, Pam and family for cocktails and snacks in the master suite tonight and then a nice dinner.
Flam - normal Norwegian weather - a rainy day -BUT that mean more waterfalls than I have ever seen. The train guide said you only see many of these waterfalls when it rains. It was stunning. At the hotel at the Train Station the best waffles with jam and fresh cream. Absolutely fantastic Ken and I did over indulge!! Overall a wonderful day, I will take the rain for the waterfalls.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Still pretty calm seas although I was told it was rough last night but I had no idea I just crashed. Been sleeping like a log every night.

Re: Sea mail from THOR EXP190808 [Re: Ngaire] #252002 08/19/19 05:53 AM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
We stayed on the ship yesterday for various reasons and it was a partly cloudy day. So the tours all had a good weather day. Today the sky looks bright and the sun is shining. We are visiting a place we have not been before - Gothenburg, Sweden. To be in Norway and only have one rainy day at Flam (which I think made the Flam railway spectacular) is very lucky.

Been a great cruise, nice to see old friends and meet some very nice new people as well. Food and service has been really exceptional. Last night I mushroom soup, pan fried halibut and lobster thermidor with extra lobster on the side. Fantastic.

Tomorrow we have to move cabins but that goes pretty quick as they take all your hanging clothes on the hangers. Just the small things need to be packed up.

My daughter Cindy arrives for the next cruise so looking forward to having her aboard.

Re: Sea mail from THOR EXP190808 [Re: Ngaire] #252005 08/20/19 07:53 PM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
So the new segment starts. It was a beautiful day in Oslo. Wonderful dinner tonight with Cindy and others, food and service was terrific.

Now at sea and rocking and rolling for the first time. This stretch of water can be rough but hopefully it will calm down.

Re: Sea mail from THOR EXP190808 [Re: Ngaire] #252006 08/21/19 03:50 AM
jhp Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Ngaire, I am green with envy reading your posts. Of all my cruises with you, those two were my favorite! My best to Pam and Jim, hope to see them again sometime soon. Thanks Ngaire for always keeping in touch ! Have other Regent cruises planned in the interim! But look forward to group cruise In March to Mexico from San Diego.

Re: Sea mail from THOR EXP190808 [Re: Ngaire] #252007 08/23/19 10:06 AM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
Getting behind on posting. Sea day then yesterday in Tilbury we ended up just going into the town. All the tours were in London and we were there just in May with Silversea and did many of the same tours. Again stunning weather could not have been a better day.

Smooth crossing over the English Channel. Woke up today to sunshine and 74 degrees for the day.

In a bus right now going to Ghent just outside Brugge. Missed Ghent on our first visit to Brugge. Looking forward to the tour that includes a canal boat trip. Hopefully some great pictures later today or tomorrow.

Riding home now and almost out of battery power. I loved Ghent but I think I prefer Brugge. That main square in Brugge is hard to beat.

Both cities have fascinating architecture wherever you look is a picture opportunity. Flowers in abundance at this time of year. It got really hot but a lemon sorbet and a Diet Coke hit the spot. Great people watching.

Light fixture on a bridge.

Pictures from Ghent will follow on separate post

Re: Sea mail from THOR EXP190808 [Re: Ngaire] #252008 08/23/19 01:43 PM
R
RachelG Online
cruiser
cruiser
R
Enjoy Ghent. The canal boat trip is fun. We did Ghent and Brugge years ago on a land trip with Jonathan when AA was running those super cheap specials on flights to Europe and flew into Brussels. A very fun but cold trip (in March).

Re: Sea mail from THOR EXP190808 [Re: Ngaire] #252009 08/23/19 11:36 PM
petlover Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Your cruise sounds fabulous. It's been many years since we were in Belgium and we loved it, especially Brugge. Reading your posts brings back Wonderful memories of a beautiful country.

Can't wait to see more photos. I hope your beautiful weather continues.

Marcie

Re: Sea mail from THOR EXP190808 [Re: Ngaire] #252010 08/24/19 07:41 AM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
Pictures from Ghent.

Light on the bridge
[Linked Image]
On the canal boat
[Linked Image]
Is the man copying the dog or the dog copying the man.
[Linked Image]
The canal
[Linked Image]
The castle on the canal
[Linked Image]
Canal boats
[Linked Image]

Marriott Hotel right on the canal. Used to be a whorehouse.
[Linked Image]

Re: Sea mail from THOR EXP190808 [Re: Ngaire] #252011 08/24/19 10:00 AM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
Today we arrived on Amsterdam. Sun shining, blue sky and no wind. Going to get up to 84 degrees today.

We have been to Amsterdam many times and will be back on the Crystal river boat. So we decided to out of the city to Marken and Volendam.

Marken was quite lovely. A small community with many boats and yachts tied up on the docks in the bay. Houses were immaculate all with gardens with flowers. Quiet but I am sure at times full of tourists.

Cheese store was our next stop. Lots of cheese to taste not being a cheese lover I preferred all the cookie tasting and a raspberry wine. Pretty touristy but if you like cheese lots to taste.

We drove through an area with very expensive and beautiful houses. Ken said “I could live here”

Voldendam was like Marken but much bigger and more tourists. Quaint shops, lots of restaurants. Boats and yachts tied to the docks. There is a small sand beach with children having a grand time.

Nice tour we saw a lot of the country side. Pictures follow

Re: Sea mail from THOR EXP190808 [Re: Ngaire] #252012 08/24/19 11:28 AM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser

Re: Sea mail from THOR EXP190808 [Re: Ngaire] #252013 08/24/19 11:36 AM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser

Cheese factory
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Sea mail from THOR EXP190808 [Re: Ngaire] #252014 08/24/19 01:08 PM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
VOLENDAM

Waffles galore. Only 2 euros each.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Sea mail from THOR EXP190808 [Re: Ngaire] #252016 08/25/19 09:58 PM
petlover Offline
cruiser
cruiser
So nice..great shots that make me smile.

Marcie

Re: Sea mail from THOR EXP190808 [Re: Ngaire] #252017 08/26/19 01:10 PM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
Another perfect day in Copenhagen. Did a 3 hour tour we enjoyed. Visited the royal reception rooms of the palace. Beautiful chandeliers and furnishings. Amazing rooms. The most remarkable room was the formal reception hall. There were 11 massive tapestries showing the 1000 years of the history of Denmark. The tapestries took 10 years to complete.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Of course the “little mermaid”

[Linked Image]

Re: Sea mail from THOR EXP190808 [Re: Ngaire] #252018 08/26/19 01:54 PM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
Ngaire and daughter Cindy at dinner
[Linked Image]

Re: Sea mail from THOR EXP190808 [Re: Ngaire] #252019 08/26/19 05:01 PM
Marc Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Ngaire, any updates on the ship? Have they gotten rid of the steps in the theater? How are the restaurants? Any problems getting into P7 or Pacific Rim? Did they realign the aft stairs going down to the kitchen? Is the whistling in the balcony doors gone?

Marc

Re: Sea mail from THOR EXP190808 [Re: Ngaire] #252021 08/27/19 12:21 PM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
Food has been great and no issues with getting reservations as long as you were asking early and not last minute.

Prime 7 seems to be more a favorite now than Pacific Rim (easier to get Pacific Rim reservations) but the food is the same as it has always been in both restaurants. Had delicious meals in both restaurants.

Compass Rose has been consistently outstanding! Some new breakfast "healthy" items on the Compass Rose breakfast menu - I tried one today. Frozen blueberries with fruit and almonds. Been told about it by many and was surprised at how good it was. I loved it.

I like Compass Rose more for lunch than Prime 7 or Chartreuse but no biggie.

If you are talking about the stairs on deck 5 aft nothing has changed. Not sure what you mean with the stairs in the theater, maybe that the blended in too much so not noticed? Really have not paid attention to that have had no issues at all.

New things.

They started testing their version of the Whisper System that they have on the river boats on this segment You use your own phone and earphones download the Regent Smart guide App. There is a page with numbers 1 to 24. The guide tells you which number to select and it is just like the Whisper System on river boats but your own equipment.

The guides were fighting it a bit as it is all new for them but when it worked it was fantastic. So nice to be able to walk away and still hear the guide. I think once everyone is used to the system it is going to be a huge success.

No whistling in the balcony doors but still the faint ringing of a telephone in the bathroom from time to time.

Some new faces for me, Stephane as F&B absolutely delightful. Easy to talk to and very warm personality. Renato is a new Dining Room Manager - Love him too all over the place and very outgoing. He is going to be on the Splendor. Jaccque is the cruise consultant from South Africa not seen him before he was nice.

LIFE IS GOOD on the Explorer.

Re: Sea mail from THOR EXP190808 [Re: Ngaire] #252023 08/27/19 02:04 PM
Marc Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Ngaire, thanks. Stephane was F&B when we were on Voyager in 2017. Say hi to him for Arlene and me; he will remember us as the couple that invited the whole orchestra to dinner one night in Compass Rose.

Have a great finish to your trip!

Marc

Re: Sea mail from THOR EXP190808 [Re: Ngaire] #252032 08/29/19 10:49 AM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
Getting used to perfect weather. We were in Gdańsk yesterday. The tours ran too late for our dinner reservations so our dinner partners and ken and I took a taxi.

It turned out great. Super driver with a little English but he used his iPhone for interpretation. Big van super comfortable for four people. Took us to probably the most beautiful church we have ever seen. Then onto the old town and Long Street which was really good. Three hours and we were back.

[Linked Image]

The white clouds behind the altar looked clouds. Light and fluffy no idea what type of material was used.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Gdańsk
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Sea mail from THOR EXP190808 [Re: Ngaire] #252035 08/30/19 10:30 AM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
Final day in Visby. Took a tour but the guide constantly talked and we were all standing and listening. She would not stop and go into the town. I am sure some like the detailed history lesson but I knew a couple of my people have trouble standing. Walking okay but just standing is not comfortable.

So there six of us in our group and we all bailed as soon as we could do so gracefully “ to go shopping”. Actually we did go shopping and Janice bought a fantastic jacket. The church had just closed for a funeral and we missed it by about five minutes.

There are ruins of a very old and large church. Really quite remarkable. Lots of little shops and restaurants. A real village. Not just a tourist old town.

Nice little place but we were ready to go back in about an hour. The Regent shuttle was on a lunch break so we asked a different shuttle from a different ship and he let us on. We were back and I am sure that guide was still talking.

[Linked Image]

The new church. The town was not crowded which was nice as you can see. The people in the picture are my group.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The church ruin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Sea mail from THOR EXP190808 [Re: Ngaire] #252041 09/01/19 12:17 PM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
Flying over Greenland was spectacular. The picture does not do it justice.

[Linked Image]

Re: Sea mail from THOR EXP190808 [Re: Ngaire] #252043 09/01/19 02:56 PM
petlover Offline
cruiser
cruiser
That is GORGEOUS !

Marcie

Moderated by  KarenS 

Keene Luxury Travel Offers