Keene Luxury Travel
800-856-1155 · 972-701-9292
Join Our Mailing List · Email us
Who's Online Now
10 registered members (Ajax, Yallcruise, Davefr, KarenS, scubadiver, seadog, Jim B, APEXcruzr, JimR, 1 invisible), 1,151 guests
Newest Members
loke, VayaConJim, michaelo, Dramamu, yuter(41353 Registered Users)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
2021 Grand Arctic Adventure #251970 08/08/19 12:49 AM
Marc Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
Today we booked the 94 night Grand Arctic Adventure on Navigator; this will be the longest (and by far most expensive) trip we have taken. Over next two years will need to pick the brains of those of you that have taken very long trips; however, the most pressing question is insurance. What type of insurance, if any, did you purchase for your Grand Voyage or World Cruise? I think we have only two weeks to purchase insurance to that covers pre-existing conditions so we need to figure something out in a hurry. Or, should we just save the money and not have insurance at all (except evacuation)? This cruise is a lot of money and a long time in the future so want to do this right.

Hope there are others on the entire Grand Voyage or segments; really miss LCTers (and the cost of this precludes many other trips over the next couple of years).

thanks,

Marc

"Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero"

Horace

Re: 2021 Grand Arctic Adventure [Re: Marc] #251972 08/08/19 01:19 PM
petlover Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Marc, we didn't insure our World Cruises nor our circumnavigation of South America but we were younger and healthier then so took the chance. Luckily, all went well.

Now in the past few years we have started to insure most trips. If you want to get quotes I HIGHLY recommend a man named Steve Dasseos, the owner of TripInsuranceStore.com His phone number is 1-888-407-3854. He has been so helpful to us with suggestions as to what we need and don't need etc.
Luckily for us, we have Kaiser Permanente health insurance which insures us out of the country (Medicare does not). You may want to find out what kind of cancellation insurance your credit card provides too.

I'm so happy that you and Arlene are doing this Grand Arctic Adventure !

Marcie

Re: 2021 Grand Arctic Adventure [Re: Marc] #251987 08/12/19 04:44 PM
W
Worldrunner Offline
cruiser
cruiser
W
Marc, We have insured all of our long trips including the World Cruise in 2007 and, fortunately, we haven't needed to make a claim. We mostly bought insurance through the cruise lines who usually sub-contracted it out to companies like AIG. Some advise that you shouldn't purchase directly from the cruise company in case they have financial difficulties before your trip. Our last trip was insured through the company that Marcie recommends above, TripInsuranceStore, and they did a great job. Again, we didn't need to file a claim but they gave personal service in selecting a plan & even recommended a method of coordinating their coverage with Medicare (don't know if you have that yet). We purchased the coverage so far in advance that we didn't have firm travel dates and they allowed us to increase the length of the trip for no additional cost.

In the past few years we have also bought MedJetAssist coverage to transport us home in case of illness or emergency. We know people who have had to use this and they say it was invaluable.

Hope you have a wonderful trip! We really enjoy the long ones!

Sue Henry

Sue
Re: 2021 Grand Arctic Adventure [Re: Marc] #251988 08/12/19 08:50 PM
Ms Understood Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Marc, we have not taken any cruises quite that long and I know the cost of insurance is related to the cost of the trip so probably pretty pricey for your trip but we have insured every trip from which it would be problematic/costly to get home For instance I would not insure a trip in Europe since I know I can get home without too much trouble. (We do have MedJet Assist so if one of us needed medical transport that would be covered regardless of where we are). I did this primarily in consideration of my mother in laws age and health. Now that she is gone we have reached the point where our own age and health is a consideration. We have made 2 claims over the years and both claims were paid within a few days of making the claim. One was AIG and one was Travel Guard, both purchased thru Insure My Trip. Before I bought insurance to include pre existing conditions for a trip so far down the road, I would need to see how much wiggle room is in the definition of that term : pre existing what? Booking the trip? Purchasing the insurance? Final payment date?
So decision IMO is really about how much of a risk taker you are and how high you assess that risk.
———————
Helen

Re: 2021 Grand Arctic Adventure [Re: Marc] #251989 08/12/19 11:25 PM
Marc Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
Thanks for the sage advice. When you get over 60 days and over $100K there are very few options. On all the sites mentioned only options are a few different Travel Guard policies and a couple of different Berkshire Hathaway policies so easy to compare. Travel Guard Gold came to $7885 whilst BH Exact Care value came to $6112. Only real differences (flights are only to NYC so not concerned with flight delay and baggage) were that TG has $500K emergency evacuation versus $300K for BH; trip interruption (not cancellation) was 150% for TG (versus 100%); and Dental was primary versus secondary (we have no dental insurance so doesn't make a difference). There is also a difference in amount for cancellation due to pre-existing but that will only matter for a pre-existing condition that caused us to cancel within 75 days of sailing; can't see that instance happening. Now, once I confirm that I only need to pay premium to cover the $6,000 deposit now we will purchase the BH policy.

Again, thanks for all the inputs.

Marc

"Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero"

Horace

Moderated by  KarenS 

Keene Luxury Travel Offers