Luxury Cruise Talk Logo

Keene Luxury Travel
800-856-1155 · 972-701-9292
Join Our Mailing List · Email us

Who's Online Now
6 registered members (Davefr, Ralph W., Ngaire, Yallcruise, Jim B, 1 invisible), 689 guests
Newest Members
DennisK, SuprDave, BarbD, johnsmithpmt, Juliehoover(41381 Registered Users)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Sea Mail from ROO [Re: Ngaire] #251366 01/20/19 06:44 AM
Mrs. Marc Offline
cruiser
cruiser
We left the ship quite early this morning for our flight to Auckland. This cruise was one of the best very good friends, great itinerary and a wonderful brew. Marc and I are now going to spend about three weeks in New Zealand. Flight today was two hours late so just camping out at the hotel tonight. The adventures begin tomorrow!

Arlene
Adventure before Dementia!
Re: Sea Mail from ROO [Re: Ngaire] #251368 01/25/19 10:17 PM
jbittle Offline
cruiser
cruiser
We lucked out on ROO with the weather. Yesterday in Cairns there was 100% rain and the front hung over the area all day spoiling all the tours. It was too wet to even go off to a restaurant so we stayed on the ship. Today we're at Cooktown (replacement port for Port Moresby) and the same front has us covered with rain & winds. It's a tender port and at 7:30am the Captain cancelled the port. Now 2 days to Thursday Island. The guests that boarded in Sydney are quite a different lot. Trivia has less than half the number playing as on ROO. Other than more pre dinner dancers in Horizon, most public areas are more empty. It's a glum crowd. We miss the KLT crowd already.

Re: Sea Mail from ROO [Re: Ngaire] #251372 01/26/19 06:54 PM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
Weather is such a factor to people's moods. Here is wishing you sunny skies in the future and a happier crowd! Knowing you and Pat you are making the most of it anyway!

Re: Sea Mail from ROO [Re: Ngaire] #251373 01/26/19 11:00 PM
Mrs. Marc Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Marc and I have been having a terrific time in New Zealand! Ralph, June and Ngaire helped us plan a wonderful itinerary. First.... if you haven’t been to New Zealand yet, make plans to come. It is so beautiful and green. I honestly don’t know how June leaves it. It is a beautiful country, so peaceful, clean and such fresh air! Any country that has naturalized Agapanthus (my favorite flower) along all the road ways and in the cities is great in my book. Just beautiful!,!!

We started out in Auckland, but will be there at the end of our trip, so haven’t seen much of it yet.

We drove up to the bay of islands on the north island, and the drive was spectacular, such beautiful scenery (did I mention the agapanthus?). The drive was just amazing, the green hills, the sea, the lakes, just beautiful. We took a harbor tour and loved it, all the sail boats and islands. Next we drove to Matamata to see Hobbitton the film set of the Lord of the rings movies. I haven’t seen the movies or read the books, but Marc had and it was a big deal to come to “middle earth”. So well done and again beautiful scenery. We also went to Rotorua to the Maori hangi. Marc was elected chief (those of you in the know you will laugh) which was interesting and fun. New Zealand is a gardener’s paradise. Then on to Wellington, were Marc went to the Te Papa museum. We then Walked some of the city and went to the botanical gardens via the cable car. What a glorious place in the middle of the city. I have absolutely fallen in love with NewZealand! We are now at the ferry terminal waiting for the ferry to the South Island which everyone tells me is prettier then the north, but I find that hard to believe. Time will tell, I’ll let you know when I next have time to check in.

Arlene
Re: Sea Mail from ROO [Re: Ngaire] #251377 01/27/19 08:20 PM
J
June Offline
cruiser
cruiser
J
Ralph and I are so glad you are enjoying your tour of NZ. A land tour is a great way to see the country. We wish you good weather and many more enjoyable experiences. The scenery in the South Island is indeed different than the North Island, but both are quite special/unique in their own way. Looking forward to hearing more of your observations as you continue your travels.

Re: Sea Mail from ROO [Re: Ngaire] #251380 01/29/19 12:45 AM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
I worked right at the base of the Cable Car when I lived in Wellington. We would ride the cable car up and have our brown bag lunch in the gardens and then ride the cable car down again! VERY cheap in those days no idea what it is now. Te Papa is a great museum I really like it and the restaurant there is very good as well.

You will be sailing through the sounds I hope you have good weather. They are truly stunning in the sun. We used to ride that quite often on the weekends on the perfect day just for an outing. Come back the same day.

Bringing back some good memories for me!

Re: Sea Mail from ROO [Re: Ngaire] #251384 01/31/19 08:15 PM
Marc Offline
cruiser
cruiser
For those that haven't driven the west coast of the South Island; I heartily recommend it. After the wonderful ferry to Picton, we drove to Nelson which is a beautiful seaside city. Plenty of wineries (we hadn't booked a tour in advance so out of luck) and wonderful lunch at Mapua. After two nights, we drove to Fox Glacier. The Tasman pine forests were beautiful on the way to Greymouth and then an easy drive to Franz Joseph glacier. We walked up to base of glacier; spectacular. We then drove to Fox Glacier to spend the night. The next morning we went 6KM west of Fox Glacier for a most fantastic view; not only Fox Glacier but also Mt Cook and the ridge line of the Southern Alps. Then we drove to a wonderful viewing spot close to Fox Glacier. The drive from their to Queenstown was amazing. Pristine coastlines with few people and then up Haast Pass with plenty of stops for waterfalls. We took the shortcut into Queenstown which was a bad move; all the switchbacks made it a very slow and uncomfortable trip; I would recommend staying on SH6.

Once we got to Queenstown, we needed to rebook our excursions. First, changed Milford Sound flight to Sunday due to forecasted rain (which has appeared on schedule). Second, we had final paperwork for sale of our Alabama house yesterday so we moved Earnslaw steamship to Saturday. I am glad to report that after TWO YEARS we are finally DONE with the sale.

Three more days in Queenstown followed by two days in Auckland (America's Cup sailing boat) and then we will be heading home. Roo and post-rRoo have been spectacular.

Marc

Re: Sea Mail from ROO [Re: Ngaire] #251387 01/31/19 11:09 PM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
CONGRATULATIONS ON THE SALE OF THE HOUSE --- that is sure worth a big celebration!

I love the South Island of New Zealand you are making me want to take a land trip there again. That area from Franz Joseph to Queenstown I think is the most beautiful scenery in the world.

Glad you are having such a great time!!

Re: Sea Mail from ROO [Re: Ngaire] #251390 02/01/19 03:56 PM
petlover Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Such a good feeling to have your home sale behind you. Congratulations. I'm so happy you've had such a fabulous time in NZ...sounds like you weren't scared driving on the wrong side of the road. That sounds challenging to me. It sure is a gorgeous country!

Marcie

Re: Sea Mail from ROO [Re: Ngaire] #251408 02/05/19 05:12 AM
Mrs. Marc Offline
cruiser
cruiser
We have had the most wonderful time in New Zealand. We have seen a lot of the north island and a lot of the South Island. Day before yesterday we went to Milford sound. Took a plane in and out and a two hour boat trip around the sound. It certainly is beautiful. I have fallen in love with New Zealand. It is so pristine and the scenery is spectacular. We ended the trip today inAukland. We did an America’s club sailboat excursion that was simply fantastic. We were out for about two hours and got to help raise and lower the sails and tack. It was probably one of the best things I have ever done. We head home tomorrow, and I suppose it is about time as we have been gone since December 10th. One thing is for sure, we will be back Someday!

Arlene
Re: Sea Mail from ROO [Re: Ngaire] #251411 02/05/19 01:24 PM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
So happy you had such a good time. The tour you did was excellent and you made good use of your time. To have a nice day to do the flight from Queenstown to Milford was the icing on the cake. I spent time at that tiny hotel at Milford when I worked for the government hotel chain. Pretty remote I loved it there.

Re: Sea Mail from ROO [Re: Mrs. Marc] #251414 02/05/19 08:01 PM
J
June Offline
cruiser
cruiser
J
We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your visit to Aotearoa! I have never made a secret of the fact that I love NZ and Ralph and I love going to the South Island, and in particular, Queenstown, our favorite place anywhere in the world !! So glad you took a flight to MIlford Sound followed by a 2-hour cruise. That is the only way to go, in my humble opinion. We are particularly happy you seemed to have had good weather. That can make such a difference, The sail around the Harbour in a former America’s Cup yacht would have been excellent fun and a great way to see the harbour and environs.
We don’t arrive back in Auckland until Feb 9th and leave exactly 89 days later, one day short of the max time Ralph is allowed to stay.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  KarenS 

Keene Luxury Travel Offers