LCT

Keene Luxury Travel
800-856-1155   |   972-701-9292

Who's Online Now
18 registered members (S&K, seadog, Davefr, Marc, Yallcruise, KarenS, Jim B, Ngaire, lonestarlady, Mrs. Marc, msmillie, Richard and Lori, Clay&Jenn, Ralph W., Anna B., cruisinfanatic, 2 invisible), 268 guests
Newest Members
mayajan, shoelewis, LucyandMary, travlr, Fulmer (41320 Registered Users)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#249314 - 12/04/17 09:25 AM Crystal Mahler  
Ngaire Online
Ngaire  Online

Dallas, Texas
Quick update on the new Crystal Mahler.

FOOD ISSUES
Wonderful coffee/bistro that has a open buffet snack area all day and serves light lunches and dinners. Great food. The fruit on the buffet was exotic fruit, berries not just melons, plentiful and all perfectly ripe. Plus good selection of drinks.

Waterside restaurant for breakfast, lunch and dinner. We ate one lunch that was a buffet. Unbelievably good. Huge selection and everything was fantastic. The salad bar had everything you could think of and all high quality fresh ingredients. They always have at a meat, poultry, fish and pasta dish on every buffet. Beautiful vegetables and starches for sides. Beautiful desserts and again outstanding fruit.

Self service coffee/ tea area with wine and soft drinks as well and small snacks.

CABINS
Primary category
KING bed not the smaller ones you see on ships
Feels Very spacious
Nice size walk in closet with drawers
Nice roomy bathroom with double sinks, drawers in vanity and shelf at base of mirror for to s of storage.
Counter space could be better and no balconies.

Pettite suites category
Same basic cabin with these differences
Tiny bathroom
Sliding door closet with hanging and shelves
Real lack of drawers and storage space
Much smaller no spacious feel.

PUBLIC AREAS
Comfotable and classy interior.
Indoor swimming pool
Spa area with trainer and trained spa person
Lounge very light and bright.
Elevator and circular stairway in the center of the lobby not crazy about that, it feels cramped.

OVERALL IMPRESSION
Definitely a step up on the river boat scene particularly in the food department. Best ratios in staff to guests and space per guest. Of course all inclusive. Did not get to see the Crystal Bus hope to see that when we visit the Crystal Mozart. Always hard to tell until you go on a cruise but looks great.

See pictures of our adventures here or follow me on
Pinterest!
#249315 - 12/04/17 09:22 PM Re: Crystal Mahler [Re: Ngaire]  
petlover Offline
cruiser
petlover  Offline
cruiser

Fullerton, CA
Sounds so exciting Ngaire, you're whetting my appetite. It sounds like I'm glad we chose a suite in the more spacious primary category for RHINE. Thanks for sharing all this great information.

Marcie

#249320 - 12/05/17 03:49 PM Re: Crystal Mahler [Re: Ngaire]  
cruisinfanatic Online
cruiser
cruisinfanatic  Online
cruiser

Wiliamsburg VA
Me too what Marcie said. Did you get any pictures?

JoAnn
#249321 - 12/05/17 05:22 PM Re: Crystal Mahler [Re: Ngaire]  
Ngaire Online
Ngaire  Online

Dallas, Texas
Yes, but the ship was 100% full so we could only peak in while the rooms were being cleaned. We did get some of the coffee corner, buffet, public areas. Hard to post from here but will post when we get back.

Tomorrow we see the Mozart.

Pinterest!
#249327 - 12/06/17 03:54 PM Re: Crystal Mahler [Re: Ngaire]  
Ngaire Online
Ngaire  Online

Dallas, Texas
Which is better - the Crystal Mozart or the new builds, Crystal Mahler? Impossible to answer both are great just diferrent.

Today we checked out the Crystal Mozart. A double wide river boat. Feels more like an ocean ship. Beautiful public rooms, great coffee/bistro area. Christmas Decorations were everywhere and stunning.

To chose between the Mozart (refurbished approx 160 guests) and the Mahler (new 106 guests) is very hard. Many of the features are the same on both boats. The public areas are superior on the Mozart because of its width. The cabins are better on the Mahler with bigger bathrooms and the walk in closet.

Either ship would be good, just different. The one main similarity is the quality of the food. The kitchen are larger with more staff so the ability to have better menus and more options than the other river boats is obvious.

Glad we came there is nothing like seeing something in person. We will post pictures when we get back home.

Pinterest!
#249861 - 04/04/18 08:19 PM Re: Crystal Mahler [Re: Ngaire]  
julesluvscruising Offline
cruiser
julesluvscruising  Offline
cruiser

Dallas, TX
Hello, it's me, Julie. I'm just adding on to Ngaire's review because I recently disembarked from the Crystal Mahler and took a few pictures of the menus and of the buses.
The whole experience was amazing! The service and cuisine were top-rate. I'm happy to answer any questions that you may have about the Crystal Mahler.

[Linked Image] - the buses were very roomy. I'm 5'8" and my feet could not reach the bar at the bottom of the seat in front of me so very, very spacious. The buses also offered free wifi connection.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image] - there are light items on the bistro counter all day, like cheeses, meats, fruits, and breakfast pastries, yogurt, and cereals in the morning. However, there is also this lunch menu during certain hours that will be listed on your daily program.

"One's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things." - Henry Miller
#249863 - 04/04/18 10:40 PM Re: Crystal Mahler [Re: Ngaire]  
lonestarlady Online
cruiser
lonestarlady  Online
cruiser

The Lone Star State
Hi Julie! I am wondering about how dinner works. I know it is open seating, but I am curious if you can show up when you want between certain hours. The only river cruise I have been on required everyone to come to the dining room around the same time - if you were not there between say 6:30 and 7:00 to be seated, you might not get served!! We like to eat late, so hoping they have extended hours like on the ocean ships.

Cindy

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page." - Saint Augustine

SmugMug Photo Gallery
#249874 - 04/05/18 02:05 PM Re: Crystal Mahler [Re: Ngaire]  
Ngaire Online
Ngaire  Online

Dallas, Texas
Julie is out sick. From my visits real open seating dining just like Regent. No rush to the dining room

Pinterest!
#249877 - 04/05/18 04:42 PM Re: Crystal Mahler [Re: Ngaire]  
lonestarlady Online
cruiser
lonestarlady  Online
cruiser

The Lone Star State
Thanks Ngaire.

Cindy

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page." - Saint Augustine

SmugMug Photo Gallery
#249881 - 04/05/18 07:25 PM Re: Crystal Mahler [Re: Ngaire]  
cruiser
cruiser

Dallas, TX
For the main dining room, dinner hours were 7-9 pm and it was open seating. They also serve tapas in the evening at the Bistro occasionally and you can make a reservation with your Butler. The Vintage Room is the private dining room for purchase I think it seats 10, I’ll double-check. As Ngaire said I’m out sick and my notes are at the office. There was one evening in which they took us on an evening tour so there was an early dining dinner buffet. We arrived at different times and dinner service was always prompt. We dined with others a couple of times but there was plenty of seating for just two if you prefer. It was exactly like it would be on Regent. No pressure to arrive at a certain time.

"One's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things." - Henry Miller
#249928 - 04/10/18 06:20 PM Re: Crystal Mahler [Re: Ngaire]  
cruiser
cruiser

Dallas, TX
The Vintage Room holds 10 guests and reservations can be made via the Already Booked (Priority Check-In & Planning Center). Costs may depend on the voyage but on average it will be 290 Euros per person, or if you want to reserve the entire room it is 2600 Euros.

#250090 - 05/03/18 12:50 PM Re: Crystal Mahler [Re: Ngaire]  
cruisinfanatic Online
cruiser
cruisinfanatic  Online
cruiser

Wiliamsburg VA
I am so excited for this trip, thanks Julie for posting the menus.
The Vintage Room sounds a little pricey to me. As well, when I first booked excursions, we booked an evening private Canal Cruise which at that time was complimentary, and now they have added a 180euro per person to our excursions.....will be cancelling that. I did some checking and literally could book a 4 course dinner cruise with drinks included for 89 euros per person......considering that. We did not book any of the Michelin dining experiences, again thought they were very pricey.....and some reviews I read said the food on the ship was better.
But as I said, am so excited for something different, just wish it was a little longer! clap

JoAnn
#250091 - 05/03/18 05:22 PM Re: Crystal Mahler [Re: Ngaire]  
Ngaire Online
Ngaire  Online

Dallas, Texas
I agree Joann some of their pricing on special excursions and offers is way out of line! My feeling is this may come down over time. Do not plan on a party for the group in the Vintage Room!!

Pinterest!
#250092 - 05/03/18 06:44 PM Re: Crystal Mahler [Re: Ngaire]  
cruisinfanatic Online
cruiser
cruisinfanatic  Online
cruiser

Wiliamsburg VA
Haha Ngaire laugh laugh thats for sure.

JoAnn
#250093 - 05/03/18 08:39 PM Re: Crystal Mahler [Re: Ngaire]  
petlover Offline
cruiser
petlover  Offline
cruiser

Fullerton, CA
Yikes, that's outrageous. You won't find us eating in the Vintage room. We ate in the equivalent on an AMA cruise for a fraction of the price. I can't remember what we booked for excursions but I'm almost certain they were all free. Maybe I need to re-check.

Thanks for posting the menus Julie.

Marcie

#250096 - 05/03/18 09:22 PM Re: Crystal Mahler [Re: Ngaire]  
Ngaire Online
Ngaire  Online

Dallas, Texas
If you booked anything that was free and it changed they would contact us. They have good excursions and I hear fantastic buses with wifi but the "add ons" are off the chart. These special restaurants to me are not worth it and so we will not be partaking in any of those options.

Pinterest!
#250097 - 05/03/18 11:09 PM Re: Crystal Mahler [Re: Ngaire]  
cruisinfanatic Online
cruiser
cruisinfanatic  Online
cruiser

Wiliamsburg VA
Well I did get an email from them last week, telling us to check to be sure our excursions were the ones we wanted, and that some would have an additional cost.....that is when I discovered that suddenly there was this 180euro add on for that private canal cruise. I am mad at myself for not printing out the excursions at the time I booked them, which would have showed the complimentary canal cruise, but I was waiting for a couple of the other ports to open up.

But no big deal, will just cancel that one. We will find another evening one that will work just fine. When I find something, will post here in case anyone else is interested.

JoAnn
#250099 - 05/04/18 05:13 PM Re: Crystal Mahler [Re: Ngaire]  
petlover Offline
cruiser
petlover  Offline
cruiser

Fullerton, CA
I just checked our excursions. We have a free Canal cruise @ 2:00 on Sunday 9/ 23. We have one evening event, the Crystal signature evening of Classical music on 9/28 (sounds like Tom will have a chance to catch up on his zzzzzz's 😜)

Marcie

#250102 - 05/04/18 08:00 PM Re: Crystal Mahler [Re: Ngaire]  
cruisinfanatic Online
cruiser
cruisinfanatic  Online
cruiser

Wiliamsburg VA
Yes, the afternoon and morning Canal cruises are complimentary, this was the evening "private canal cruise" that they added the cost onto. We did not book the evening classical concert, but are still thinking on that one. Is everyone else booking that?

JoAnn
#250167 - 05/15/18 02:19 PM Re: Crystal Mahler [Re: Ngaire]  
houstongal Offline
cruiser
houstongal  Offline
cruiser

Houston, TX
can one find reasonable small group private canal boats to book if a group of us wanted to go on a canal boat night time ride for a reasonable price or are they pretty expensive? ie not through crystal? I wouldn't mind researching it if a group of us might be interested. This is in Amsterdam I am assuming, right?
Cheri, Jill's daughter in Texas.
PS I arranged a small private whale boat tour for six when i was on an Alaskan cruise for a reasonable price that was local via research. and if there is not an interest no biggie. :)

#250180 - 05/18/18 02:42 PM Re: Crystal Mahler [Re: Ngaire]  
cruisinfanatic Online
cruiser
cruisinfanatic  Online
cruiser

Wiliamsburg VA
Cheri
I had been thinking of the same thing since the Crystal one is -180 euros pp. It would seem we could do a private one for less....and we would certainly be interested.

JoAnn

Keene Luxury Travel Offers

bklogo

NGAIRE & KEN'S
HOSTED VOYAGES

**Offering Enhanced KLT Rewards**

Ngaire Ken

HIPPO Group Safari, Group Safari Pictures - May 27-June 24, 2018 | Sold Out Waitlist Only

Silversea | Silver Explorer, Jul 25-Aug 13, 2018 - Nome to Nome | Alaska Expedition Cruise

Crystal River Cruises | Debussy, Sep 23-Oct 3, 2018 - Amsterdam to Basel | Splendors of the Rhine

Regent Seven Seas Mariner, Nov 1-Nov 15, 2018 - Honolulu to Papeete | Hawaiian Sunsets and Tahitian Moons

Regent Seven Seas Mariner, Dec 15, 2018-Jan 20, 2019 - Sydney to Sydney | Grand Aussie Adventure

Regent Seven Seas Mariner, Mar 28-Apr 13, 2019 - Shanghai to Tokyo | Way of the Emperors

LIONESS Group Safari, Group Safari Pictures
Group One-Jun 5-28, 2019
Group Two-Jun 19-Jul 3, 2019
| Sold Out Waitlist Only

Regent Seven Seas Explorer, Aug 8-20, 2019 - Copenhagen to Oslo | Norwegian Peaks & Fjords
back-to-back with
Aug 20-30, 2019 - Oslo to Stockholm | Scandinavian Summer

Regent Seven Seas Voyager, Nov 16-Dec 6, 2019 - Dubai to Singapore | Opulent Capitals & Sacred Shrines

Silversea Silver Cloud Expedition, Jan4-19, 2020 - Ushuaia to Ushuaia | Antarctica Expedition

***NEW***

Regent Seven Seas Splendor, Mar 14-30, 2020 - Los Angeles to Miami | Regal Mexican Riviera

Regent Seven Seas Mariner, Apr 29-May 17, 2020 - Rome to Miami | Barcelona, Bermuda & Beyond

***NEW***

Regent Seven Seas Splendor, Jun 4-16, 2020 - Rome to Barcelon | Ancient Wonders Expedition

REGENT SPECIALS

Free Land Programs in ALL Suite Categories on Select Voyages: Eligible dates

Single Supplement Specials on Select Voyages: Eligible dates

Kids Sail from $999 on Select Voyages: Eligible dates

VOYAGES
HOSTED BY KLT STAFF

Cruise with your favorite Keene Luxury Travel Staff Member in 2018, 2019, or 2020
5% KLT Reward plus Shipboard Credit available (amount varies per voyage)!
2018 Details | 2019 Details | 2020 Details

Susan

Hosted by
Susan Walsh

Susan's Voyages

Linda
Hosted by
Linda Litteken

Linda's Voyages

Clay

Hosted by
Clay Keene