Luxury Cruise Talk Logo

Keene Luxury Travel
800-856-1155 · 972-701-9292
Join Our Mailing List · Email us

Who's Online Now
6 registered members (Davefr, Ralph W., Ngaire, Yallcruise, Jim B, 1 invisible), 665 guests
Newest Members
DennisK, SuprDave, BarbD, johnsmithpmt, Juliehoover(41381 Registered Users)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sea mail from KIWI. #247672 01/24/17 11:53 PM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
Easy flight down. I like the seat on AA 787 little narrow but comfortable and very easy to adjust to exactly what you like. I got a lot of sleep

Checked into the Hilton and then went walking looking for a little lunch. We saw Mark and Cheron within a few minutes from our hotel and had a lovely lunch and visit. They are staying quite a distance from us and been walking the area. Perfect timing.

Tomorrow spending time with family before boarding the Voyager.

Nice to be back in New Zealand you never lose your roots.

Re: Sea mail from KIWI. [Re: Ngaire] #247673 01/25/17 10:02 AM
KarenS Offline
I am glad you had a good flight there and now the fun begins!

Karen

Live long and prosper
Re: Sea mail from KIWI. [Re: Ngaire] #247674 01/25/17 02:20 PM
seadog Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Great start to the trip!

Re: Sea mail from KIWI. [Re: Ngaire] #247675 01/25/17 05:13 PM
R
RachelG Offline
cruiser
cruiser
R
Have a great trip. We will be getting on when you get off. Make sure they have an adequate supply of red wine and coke zero for us!

Re: Sea mail from KIWI. [Re: Ngaire] #247678 01/26/17 10:35 PM
jhp Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Ngaire, so glad you got there safely. Before I had to cancel, I had reserved a room at the Hilton before the pre-cruise wine tour, to have a look-see of the waterfront area in Auckland. By now I suppose everyone will soon be heading for the ship for the grand start to a nice long cruise! I'm so sad to be missing it. sad
Everyone please post!

Re: Sea mail from KIWI. [Re: Ngaire] #247679 01/27/17 03:56 AM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
So nice to be back on the Voyager. The upgrade overall is stunning. La verandah and Compass Rose are totally changed and so much better. The new carpet I really like. The cabins look terrific with a new blue color scheme, new granite and headboard they are very attractive. Only problem is they took away the drawers and overhead cabinets so the storage space has deminished significantly. We figured out how to handle our "stuff". It looks like a brand new ship.

Today we were in Tauranga and it is a lovely spot. We just walked into the town and had a yummy morning tea with Ken, Sheila, Jim and Pam.

Our dinner in Compass Rose tonight was so good. This new menu is fantastic.

Tomorrow Napier, also a nice port. So far really nice weather. We heard the weather was not good on the last cruise so I think the weather gods are with us. Hopefully it will continue.

Re: Sea mail from KIWI. [Re: Ngaire] #247680 01/27/17 07:42 AM
jbittle Offline
cruiser
cruiser
I understand you have Margaret Lynn as CD, but who are Captain and other top officers?

Re: Sea mail from KIWI. [Re: Ngaire] #247685 01/27/17 11:25 PM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
Felice will be replaced by Daniel green during the cruise. Frank Galzy as GM aNd Marcel as F&B. Bruce as cruise consultant.
David as dining room manager and Kathy as head of destinations.

Re: Sea mail from KIWI. [Re: Ngaire] #247686 01/28/17 12:03 AM
jhp Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Oh I love Felice! Ngaire, give him my regards. And I bet he is giving special attention because he LOVES Ngaire! Have had dinner once with Daniel, there was something interesting, I think I was feeling very sorry for him way across the table. Strange table, no KLT people at all, of course. Sounds like a great crew!

Re: Sea mail from KIWI. [Re: Ngaire] #247687 01/28/17 12:25 AM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
Lovely weather again today. In Napier. This is a lovely place and also great to just stroll around.

We did a good tour as well we went up to a great view point. Then off to a winery I have visited before. I was hoping we would visit this particular winery as they have sulfite free wine. In the last year I have developed a reaction to wine and I think it is sulfites. So I found a red I liked and bought four bottles. Then off to another winery where a wedding was taking place. We saw the bride coming down the stairs to go outside to the service.

A very nice day and now off to the wonderful Compass Rose menu. Tomorrow Picton.

Re: Sea mail from KIWI. [Re: Ngaire] #247689 01/28/17 01:00 PM
R
RachelG Offline
cruiser
cruiser
R
Ngaire, George Edward is allergic to sulfites and cannot drink hardly any red wine as a result. A shame because he really likes it. Get me the name of that winery. We will hopefully be in Napier next year on the Sydney to Auckland cruise. I say hopefully because on the Silversea Auckland to Melbourne cruise 2 years ago, we missed it because they said the swell was too great. I am hoping we have better luck with regent.

Re: Sea mail from KIWI. [Re: RachelG] #247691 01/28/17 06:00 PM
Beth Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Originally Posted by RachelG
George Edward is allergic to sulfites and cannot drink hardly any red wine as a result.

Rachel, are you familiar to a product called SO2GO? It's a liquid you spray into your red wine to remove the sulfites. Funny but it's an Australian product sold in many local US wine shops. It is a hot item in the wine shop I work.

SO2GO

Re: Sea mail from KIWI. [Re: Ngaire] #247692 01/28/17 09:35 PM
R
RachelG Offline
cruiser
cruiser
R
Never heard of it. I have a friend who owns a wine store. I will ask him. Weird he has never mentioned it as he is aware of GE's sulfite allergy.

Re: Sea mail from KIWI. [Re: Ngaire] #247693 01/28/17 09:36 PM
Beth Offline
cruiser
cruiser
If your friend can't get it for you, PM me your address and I'll mail you a bottle.

Re: Sea mail from KIWI. [Re: Ngaire] #247694 01/28/17 10:11 PM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
Moana park is the name of the winery in Napier. We had a lovely day in Picton today but the wind really picked up in the afternoon.

Today we did three wineries but they were not as good as the ones in Napier. What I love is the environment that wineries provide with nice buildings, gardens and views. The first one we stood the whole time in the steel tank area. Second was a stunning winery but again we were in the area with all the barrels. When we went upstairs it was so beautiful I wish we had been enjoying that view. The third was okay but still. It as good as the two tin Napier.

Tomorrow we go to see sheep dogs on a farm and the Giants house. My daughter Cindy LOVED the giants house it is very decorative with statues covered with tile.
So I am looking forward to that. I will get ken to post pictures.

Be back later

Re: Sea mail from KIWI. [Re: Ngaire] #247696 01/29/17 10:23 PM
R
RachelG Offline
cruiser
cruiser
R
Thanks for the info, Beth and Ngaire.

Re: Sea mail from KIWI. [Re: Ngaire] #247701 01/30/17 07:37 PM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
Great day in Akaroa yesterday. Fourteen of us were on the same excursion. This is because my daughter Cindy was on the Voyager the trip right before our trip. She told me the GIANTS house was really worth seeing so I passed the word to the others. Most of us changed our excursion.

It started with the sheep farm and dog demonstration. The drive was beautiful through the hills and the farmer was great. He demonstrated young dogs still in the stages of training. The farmhouse was really pretty with a great house and garden. We had a "spot" of tea there as well.

Then off to the Giants house that did not disappoint. In fact it is impossible to describe. The only thing that will do that is the pictures and hopefully Ken can get some up today so you can see what the fuss is all about. Some stayed in town and said the food was really good.

Today we were in Dunedin. We cancelled our tour to see the penguins (which we have seen many times before) as we had a little shopping to do and so we just took the shuttle bus and accomplished all we set out to do. Then a nice lunch on our return and now a few spare minutes. Seems like it has been rushed since we stepped onboard.

So far three trivia sessions, one second and a third with my team and once I played with other clients of mine and we got third. So in the "coupons" each time. I want one of the black Regent tee shirts.

Re: Sea mail from KIWI. [Re: Ngaire] #247704 01/31/17 10:58 AM
petlover Offline
cruiser
cruiser
That sounds like the PERFECT excursion!

Marcie

Re: Sea mail from KIWI. [Re: Ngaire] #247706 01/31/17 04:39 PM
Ken Offline
cruiser
cruiser
KIWI Photos:

[Linked Image]
The Voyager in Auckland.

[Linked Image]
Tauranga, New Zealand.

[Linked Image]
Having a coffee in Tauranga.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Allen Scott winery in Picton, New Zealand.

[Linked Image]
The beautiful wine country in the Marlborough.

[Linked Image]
A Border Collie sheep dog in Akaroa, New Zealand.

[Linked Image]
Marino Sheep.

[Linked Image]
Working the sheep.

Re: Sea mail from KIWI. [Re: Ngaire] #247707 01/31/17 04:46 PM
Ken Offline
cruiser
cruiser
[Linked Image]
We had tea and snacks at the sheep farm.

[Linked Image]
The view on the way back to Akaroa.

Re: Sea mail from KIWI. [Re: Ngaire] #247708 02/01/17 04:01 AM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
Last night we had our cocktail party and met a lot of nice people I had not met before. Captain Felice drew all the names.

What a day in Milford Sound. Little choppy last night as a front came through but not bad. Then this morning the sun came out and we had an amazing day in Milford Sound. Bright sun, peaks of the mountains visible, waterfalls, helicopters and small planes flying and lots of little tour boats. Just stunning one of the best days in Milford that I have experienced.

Looks like good weather for our Tasman Sea crossing according to passage weather. There is a swell tonight that has the ship rocking a bit tha put us left over from the front but that should die down soon.

Food in Compass Rose continues to be outstanding. Great prime rib tonight.

Re: Sea mail from KIWI. [Re: Ngaire] #247710 02/01/17 04:15 PM
Ken Offline
cruiser
cruiser
The Giants House in Akaroa, NZ:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Sea mail from KIWI. [Re: Ngaire] #247711 02/01/17 04:21 PM
Ken Offline
cruiser
cruiser
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Sea mail from KIWI. [Re: Ngaire] #247712 02/02/17 12:41 PM
Anna B. Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Wow! You must have felt like you had walked right into a fairytale. Fascinating and fun!

Kathy
Re: Sea mail from KIWI. [Re: Ngaire] #247713 02/02/17 09:35 PM
drib Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Love those mosaics!

At first glance, I thought those were by Niki de Saint Phalle - an artist from France originally, but somehow wound up in San Diego. Her work was clearly inspired by Gaudi, as was maybe the artist for Giants House.

There's an art installation in Escondido (North San Diego County) called Queen Califia's Magical Circle that looks a lot like Park Guell in Barcelona. So if you're ever moseying around So Cal, and you like that sort of thing, you might want to look for her art here.

There's also a Saint Phalle installation in Tuscany - called The Tarot Garden - which I think would be excellent as a cruise tour from Livorno after you've already done Florence and Pisa.

Re: Sea mail from KIWI. [Re: Ngaire] #247717 02/04/17 12:15 AM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
The fifth picture down from the giants house with the white head of a woman was exactly what she looked like. It was her face.

So after a wonderful Tasman Sea crossing we arrived in Sydney with bright sunshine. It ended up clouding up a bit which was great or it would have been very hot. We decided to bail on our harbour cruise and took the shuttle into town. They docked at white harbour which is a little further out. I missed the dock at circular quay. Oh well things always change.

Had a great walk but our route was blocked with a movie crew and some major construction. But we found our destination on pier 8 and enjoyed a great cup of coffee and some yummy pastries.

Hope to get Frank and Wendy on the ship in Cairns. Some great friends on this trip and some really nice people I had not met before. Food on the expanded menu in Compass Rose has been outstanding. Every meal I have had has been excellent.

The staff are wonderful. Captain Felice at the helm, Franck as GM, Marcel as F&B wonderful group. Lots of my favorite waiters and bar staff as well.

Tomorrow a sea day with a special lunch order of rack of lamb with all the classic vegetables. Really looking forward to that.

Now off to trivia where we continue to come in second. Hopefully a win today. There were 400 people at trivia and the observation lounge was totally full so they had to move trivia to the constellation theatre. Popular pastime on this ship.

Re: Sea mail from KIWI. [Re: Ngaire] #247718 02/04/17 12:38 AM
Lee Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Hi Ngaire: I've been following your cruise and am so glad you weren't here on Tuesday (please don't tell me you were)! It was boiling!

It is such a shame that the Overseas Terminal is reserved for those Monster of the Seas which can't fit under the Harbour Bridge. We really will have to do something soon - it's getting beyond a joke! When Beth and Crystal were here (on Crystal), they were moored in the harbour - the view was priceless and well worth the ferry ride to shore.

Keep on winning Trivia!

Re: Sea mail from KIWI. [Re: Ngaire] #247719 02/04/17 01:29 AM
Ken Offline
cruiser
cruiser
KLT Cocktail Party:

[Linked Image]
Trudy & Joe.

[Linked Image]
Debra & Paul.

[Linked Image]
Cheron, Katja, Paul, & Maddy.

[Linked Image]
Bill, Linda, Don, Captain Felice, Bill, Joann, & Ken.

[Linked Image]
Mark, Julie, & Marvin.

[Linked Image]
Ngaire and Captain Felice.

[Linked Image]
Bob & Letitia.

Re: Sea mail from KIWI. [Re: Ngaire] #247720 02/04/17 01:19 PM
petlover Offline
cruiser
cruiser
I Love Sydney !!! Great seeing all the happy smiling faces....many we've never met before, and others we've had the pleasure to make great memories with.

It all sounds like a perfect cruise!!

Marcie

Re: Sea mail from KIWI. [Re: Ngaire] #247721 02/04/17 05:12 PM
Ken Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Milford Sound, New Zealand:

[Linked Image]
Entering the sound.

[Linked Image]
Sterling Falls.

[Linked Image]
Up close and personal.

[Linked Image]
Bowen Falls.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Mitre Peak on our way out of Milford Sound.

Re: Sea mail from KIWI. [Re: Ngaire] #247722 02/04/17 10:28 PM
F
FandW Offline
cruiser
cruiser
F
Hope you have a good cruise up the East Coast.
Weather here in Cairns is typical for this time of year. Warm and Wet!
We only had 3inches of rain last night.
Look forward to seeing you on Thursday.
We really liked the refurbished Navigator so to see the "new" Voyager will be great.

Frank and Wendy
Re: Sea mail from KIWI. [Re: Ngaire] #247723 02/05/17 05:32 PM
R
RachelG Offline
cruiser
cruiser
R
Enjoyed the Milford sound pics. When we were there, it was overcast and breezy. Plus we kept getting dive bombed by birds. There were some casualties on the top deck.

Re: Sea mail from KIWI. [Re: Ngaire] #247725 02/05/17 06:18 PM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
Just arrived in Brisbane. The Super Bowl will be shown live in the theatre. After the game is over we are walking into the area around the pier and are ordering Morton Bay Bugs ( like a lobster ). They are yummy. Sounds like a perfect day to me. Sun is shining and still really calm seas.

We are halfway through the cruise now so these are some of the highlights

Seeing so many familiar faces in the senior staff, Captain Felice, Franck Galzy, and Marcel F&B, Katja, head of destinations. New head of reception, Mary who has been fantastic from the start.

Then the crew so many of our favorite waiters and bartenders. We bought about 100 extra pins and almost out. Like coming home.

Wonderful traveling companions we know so well and a wonderful group of new people we have enjoyed meeting.

Much improved food and Compass Rose is really good now with the expanded menu

Milford Sound where Captain Felice did a complete 360 twice in two different areas in the fjord. That was so great so people on their balconies could see both sides. Sunny day, flights overhead, waterfalls great from prior rain. Captain Felice maneuvered the ship close to one of the waterfalls - spectacular.

Overall great weather and a good Tasman Crossing.

Akaroa we loved the sheepdogs and farmer at the farm and the GIANTS house was amazing.

The refurbishment of the ship is really stunning. I love Compass Rose in fact like it more than the Explorer dining room. The colors and upgrades to the furniture, flooring and drapes are very good.

Negatives of the cruise

We are halfway through already

The cabins look great but they took away a lot of storage space and drawers.

Trivia has become so big we had over 400 people playing so we had to move to the theatre to accommodate every one. It is working better than I expected as there is more room and the swivel chairs make it easy to get six people together. Not combined with afternoon tea now but they do have self service tea and coffee and a few snacks so that helps. Plus you can go to tea get your pastries and be back in plenty of time for trivia to start.

So it is time for the Super Bowl I wish I was saying " how about those Cowboys"
But there is always next year!

Re: Sea mail from KIWI. [Re: Ngaire] #247726 02/05/17 11:32 PM
jhp Offline
cruiser
cruiser
What a nice report Ngaire, so happy to hear about the improved dining. I envy you the crew you have!

It escapes me why those storage area were taken away in the cabins. Seems like no one did a survey of the long time cruisers. Might look a little uncluttered/sleek when they are unoccupied, but we all come with our "stuff" that needs to be taken out of sight. Way too bad!

Frank and Wendy, have a great time onboard! I do remember a day not too many cruises ago when you boarded, and we will had a great time up on the pool deck!

Re: Sea mail from KIWI. [Re: Ngaire] #247727 02/06/17 12:24 AM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
I think they will fix the storage eventually. Hopefully build a corner cabinet on the wall for the bar and give us our drawers back. The long granite desk is very nice and with the TV on the wall there is a lot of space to put things. . I hear they have had a lot of complaints about the lack of drawers. Hopefully this is corrected when they refurbish the Mariner.

Frank and Wendy are approved to come onboard so that will be fun

So I did a dumb thing. I wanted my Morton Bay bug tails. It was half time and Atlanta was ahead and dominating. So I decided to leave the game and go for the food. When I got back I heard the score. DARN IT. ThAt must have been exciting. Fortunately the game is being replayed by Regent so I will be able to see it but not the same when you know rather score.

The food they did for the Super Bowl was great. Ken took pictures and tha will tell the story.

Re: Sea mail from KIWI. [Re: Ngaire] #247728 02/06/17 07:11 AM
jbittle Offline
cruiser
cruiser
One of the reasons the storage area around the desk changed is that there is a false wall where the larger TV is mounted (magnets won't stick to it) and all the wiring is hidden behind it.

Re: Sea mail from KIWI. [Re: Ngaire] #247730 02/06/17 06:43 PM
Ken Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Sydney, Australia:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Leaving Sydney.

Re: Sea mail from KIWI. [Re: Ngaire] #247731 02/06/17 06:51 PM
Ken Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Brisbane, Australia - Photos compliments of Mitch.

[Linked Image]
A hungry Crocodile.

[Linked Image]
Bert with a Koala.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Cassowary.

Re: Sea mail from KIWI. [Re: Ngaire] #247732 02/07/17 02:53 AM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
Chartreuse. Not my favorite on the Explorer but the menu appears to be similar but different. During the course of the meal in Chartreuse I did my duty to try many items on the menu. I tried the following

Artichoke soup
Fish soup
Lobster in scallop purée
Dover sole
Rack of lamb
Scallops

Everything was REALLY good.

The lobster was one of my favorites. I asked the waiter to bring me a spoon so I could get every morsel of the sauce.

The Dover sole was thicker and superior to the serving in Compass Rose ( and Compass Rose is good)

Scallops were huge and the rack of lamb was perfectly cooked and tender.

Outstanding restaurant.

Another calm day at sea today. We came in third at trivia. With so many playing we are happy with any placing. Tomorrow another sea day. Then Cairns where it is expected we will have rain. We are staying onboard and hosting Frank and Wendy.

Re: Sea mail from KIWI. [Re: Ngaire] #247736 02/07/17 07:55 PM
R
RachelG Offline
cruiser
cruiser
R
Happy to hear the reports on chartreuse. I liked it a lot on explorer, but George didn't love it. I think I ordered better. At any rate, we are there first night out of Singapore

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KarenS 

Keene Luxury Travel Offers