Luxury Cruise Talk Logo

Keene Luxury Travel
800-856-1155 · 972-701-9292
Join Our Mailing List · Email us

Who's Online Now
5 registered members (Ngaire, Jim B, seadog, DennisK, 1 invisible), 953 guests
Newest Members
DennisK, SuprDave, BarbD, johnsmithpmt, Juliehoover(41381 Registered Users)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Bora Bora Trip #247380 12/02/16 04:24 PM
robert Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
Greetings LCT'rs!!

Paul and I have booked a trip to Bora Bora in May and are looking for your opinions & suggestions.

We're flying Business on Air France (cabin configuration is Business, Premium Economy & Economy). Seat layout is 1-2-1 and I've booked seats one in front of the other. Thoughts on this airline and the biz product overall on AF (or on this route LAX/PPT) if you have first hand experience. This ticket gets us into the Korean Air lounge at LAX (any good?) and am I correct it will get us into some lounge at the PPT airport?

We will be staying at the Intercontinental Bora Bora Resort Thalasso Spa in a "diamond" category OWB. Anyone have any experience at this property? Or OWB's in general? Pros/cons - any insight is helpful.

We are booking a Jet Ski tour, a 4 Wheel Drive tour and a Snorkel with the Sharks and Rays tour but beyond that just plan on sitting on our patio or by the pool relaxing (read cocktailing). Am I missing any "must do" excursions or are any that I've selected a "must avoid?" Paul will be on the heels of opening two restaurants and a bakery so he will be emotionally and physically exhausted come May, so he is pretty much going to want to sit quietly somewhere with a Mai Tai in hand (do you see a theme here?!?).

I'm reading mixed reviews about Bloody Mary's but am still inclined to reserve a table. Has anyone been?

Reef shoes are on the list as well as plenty of sunscreen and a freshly loaded Kindle. Anything you wish you had brought but forgot? Anything that you brought that you wish you forgot?

I know many of you are former PG cruisers and although we're taking a land based vacation, your overall insight and experiences would be of much value to me.

Finally, tipping in FP is a much bandied about topic. Some say it is insulting, others say FP has become so Westernized that tipping is now the norm. Thoughts and experiences?

I'm the researcher and planner, Paul just wants me to point him in the general direction and give him a gentle shove. So I'm in my pre-trip element - anything you can contribute is very much appreciated.

Thank you!

Robert

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.
-Thoreau
Re: Bora Bora Trip [Re: robert] #247381 12/02/16 05:42 PM
Ms Understood Offline
cruiser
cruiser
No experience with Bora Bora but lots of time at the AF lounge in T- bit terminal. It is very nice . Depending of course on time of day there is usually an appealing spread of snacks, sandwiches etc. There is a seating area like a balcony overlooking the people traffic below in the terminal and some very cool big screen things to look at and of course a full bar in keeping with your theme. In fact I think I have seen 2 full bars in there and often a celebrity or 2.
Also my experiences with AF biz class has been positive. I have been on the A380 from LAX - CDG 4 -5 times and other than the inability to organize the boarding process, the product is fine. Much better wines and cheeses than you would find on most other airlines and I have never encountered flight attendants who were less than helpful and friendly. Enjoy!
-------------------
Helen

Re: Bora Bora Trip [Re: robert] #247382 12/02/16 07:05 PM
S&K Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Hi Robert

It's a wonderful part of the world that you are visiting. We have been many times, both land and cruising.

I can't comment on anything to do with your travel as we come from the opposite direction but something we always do is hire a car for an hour or 2 and drive round the island. From memory it takes about an hour to drive round Bora Bora.

We also really enjoy Moorea. Beautiful scenery and again you can hire a car to drive around and see it at your leisure. It may be possible for you to do this too.

You will have a magical time, it's a special place in the world.

Sheila and Ken
Re: Bora Bora Trip [Re: robert] #247383 12/02/16 09:19 PM
Ken Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Bora Bora is a beautiful place the colors of the water are spectacular.

The four wheel drive in Bora Bora is something I have done many times and would do it again in a heartbeat. It keeps changing but I am sure you will enjoy that.

Tipping everywhere very expected now.

Bloody Mary's an icon you have to do it once.

Sheila is right take a day and rent a car and just drive around the island you cannot get lost and it is fun.

Re: Bora Bora Trip [Re: robert] #247395 12/04/16 04:58 PM
Beth Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Hey Robert,

Bora Bora is wonderful. I agree with Ken that Bloody Mary's is fun to stop in for a drink. We sat at the bar so don't know the quality of the food.

Before I went on the PG, I had two friends and posters here on LCT suggest a blow-up floating papasan chair. It folds up and doesn't take up a whole lot of luggage space. Got mine at WalMart, much cheaper than online.

[Linked Image]

We hired a guide through Patrick, a very popular tour guide on Bora Bora. The sharks and rays tour was included. Had a great overview of the island.

Hope you and Paul have a wonderful adventure!!

Re: Bora Bora Trip [Re: robert] #247403 12/05/16 10:36 AM
KarenS Offline
I think you both will love Bora Bora!
As for Bloody Mary's, if I was eating there, I think I would sit at the bar and forgo reservations. The highlight of your visit here is the men's room. Yes, the men's room!! loopy

Pack 2 of those really thin plastic rain coats, we used ours several times during excursions when the brief rain showers came though.

Karen

Live long and prosper
Re: Bora Bora Trip [Re: robert] #247406 12/05/16 05:20 PM
seadog Online
cruiser
cruiser
Nice to see you post Robert! Sounds like an awesome trip.

The blow up float is a great idea. Alice and I took them when we were on the PG to use the couple of times we went to a beach. We found that because of the current, we tended to float away from our spot on the beach. So we used the nylon clothes line we always bring on trips to supplement the clothes lines in the ship bathroom. We got a lead weight from the ship's dive gear that is designed to go through a belt, so there was a way to tie the clothes line on it. That way we just tossed it in the water and were able to float in place and not have to paddle back up into the current or get out of the water and walk back up on the beach. If you are not going to be on a beach, but instead will spend time in the water off your bungalow, you could just tie up to a piling or the deck somehow.

I think just get a drink at the bar at Bloody Mary's is a good call.

Re: Bora Bora Trip [Re: robert] #247408 12/05/16 09:11 PM
R
RachelG Offline
cruiser
cruiser
R
I would just get a drink at Bloody Mary's, not have dinner, no reservations needed for that, and you can say you have been there. It seemed a bit of a tourist trap to me.

Definitely would rent a car and just drive around the island. No way to get lost. And you can stop wherever you want.

Re: Bora Bora Trip [Re: robert] #247448 12/11/16 04:59 PM
robert Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
Thanks for all the advice everyone!

We're renting scooters to get around BB which should be fun (and help curb our shopping addiction). I hope.

We are opting for lunch at the BB Yacht Club instead of B Mary's (where we will stop for a quick drink). I think i know what you are referring to K - the pull chain for the toilet, correct? I'd swear someone posted a picture years ago either here or on CC.

I'm in the process of setting up all of our excursions, spa appointments, dinner reservations, etc. so it's starting to come together.

Do I REALLY need to be at the PPT airport at 4:30AM for a 6:50AM flight? Seems like a long time to be sitting in their little FC lounge....

Thanks again!

Robert

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.
-Thoreau

Moderated by  KarenS 

Keene Luxury Travel Offers