Luxury Cruise Talk Logo

Keene Luxury Travel
800-856-1155 · 972-701-9292
Join Our Mailing List · Email us

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (seadog, Ngaire, DennisK, 1 invisible), 961 guests
Newest Members
DennisK, SuprDave, BarbD, johnsmithpmt, Juliehoover(41381 Registered Users)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D-Day Reenactment at Conneaut, Ohio #238646 08/23/13 04:20 AM
Ray Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
Day 1 of of 2 ~~ D-Day Reenactment, Conneaut, Ohio

Greetings:

For the past 3-4 years we have wanted to attend the D-Day Reeanactment at Conneaut, Ohio but, unfortunately, I either forgot or was out of town during the reenactment. But not this year!

On Friday, August 16, 2013, Penny and I drove 90 miles north east to Conneaut, OH where the two days of activities commenced. We were quite surprised by the enormity of the site utilized as well as the number of volunteers it takes
to make a first-class invasion. In all, some 900 reenactors/volunteers were on hand; and approximately 100 WWII Veterans were on-board.

It is an expensive hobby to be a reenactor as they pay for all their uniforms and weapons and are out-of-pocket for all other expenses such as food/travel. Also, every time they fire a blank from their weapon, it costs them $1.10 and some have machine guns so you can imagine how many dollars they fire off. 💲

So Friday was a get-acquainted day as the invasion took place the next day. However, Penny and I immediately got in line to make a simulated assault via a Higgins Boat on the Conneaut shore. It was fun and brought back memories when in the Marine Corps I climbed down the ship's rope ladders into the an awaiting Higgins boat for an assault on San Clemente, Calif. in 1959.

Should you like to step back in time...69 years to be exact....then just click above and you'll be whisked back to the 40's.

Invasion Day is currently being edited and it will be a few days before it is out.

Cheers! Ray 🇺🇸
Day 1 of 2 ~~ D-Day Reenactment, Conneaut, Ohio

Re: D-Day Reenactment at Conneaut, Ohio [Re: Ray] #238649 08/23/13 08:22 AM
ColonelWes Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Ray (and Penny), you D-Day Reenactment vid was thoroughly enjoyable; y'alls Higgins boat ride, equipment & WWII uniform shots, aircraft sorties (incl, believe a b17 flying fortress). Also, your music mix was terrific; indeed felt like we we're whisked back to the 40's. Kudos!

Re: D-Day Reenactment at Conneaut, Ohio [Re: Ray] #239685 11/13/13 12:45 PM
Ray Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser

Day 2 - Part 1 of 2 -- Normandy Invasion Begins

If my wish comes true, then Penny and I will be in France this Fall to visit the Normandy Beaches & Paris. It has been a long-time dream to do that, plus it will be the 70th Anniversary of the Invasion. (Fortunately during the World Cruise 2008, we anchored off Iwo Jima -- we were not allowed to go ashore -- and that too was a dream come true as I'm a Marine Corps. vet. )

Cheers! Ray

Re: D-Day Reenactment at Conneaut, Ohio [Re: Ray] #239686 11/13/13 03:19 PM
TedC Offline
cruiser
cruiser
The Normandy beaches and the museum are very moving when you ponder the bravery of our men and women.

Even more moving is the American cemetery there. The beautiful manicured grounds with gleaming Crosses and Stars of David - so tranquil - yet so sad. The only sound was the birds and even they were somewhat hushed!

"Life is far too serious to be taken seriously."
Re: D-Day Reenactment at Conneaut, Ohio [Re: Ray] #239744 11/19/13 11:22 AM
Ray Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser

Moderated by  KarenS 

Keene Luxury Travel Offers