Luxury Cruise Talk Logo

Keene Luxury Travel
800-856-1155 · 972-701-9292
Join Our Mailing List · Email us

Who's Online Now
6 registered members (Davefr, Ralph W., Ngaire, Yallcruise, Jim B, 1 invisible), 665 guests
Newest Members
DennisK, SuprDave, BarbD, johnsmithpmt, Juliehoover(41381 Registered Users)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Help with Mariner crossing ports #232982 07/23/12 06:51 AM
KarenS Offline OP
OP Offline
Excursions are open for my Mariner crossing next March and I would love some help with excursions for these ports, if you have done these ports can you give me some suggestions, especially for Casablanca as I have never been there before.

Hamilton
Funchal
Casablanca
Malaga
Cartagena
Palma de Mallorca

Karen

Live long and prosper
Re: Help with Mariner crossing ports [Re: KarenS] #232983 07/23/12 07:33 AM
Dreps Offline
cruiser
cruiser
I can tell you what we signed up for in the three ports that are also part of Grand Prix:

Cartagena: Highlights of Cartagena

Malaga: Granada and the Alhambra

Casablanca: Imperial Rabat

-----------------------

Eugene

Re: Help with Mariner crossing ports [Re: KarenS] #232984 07/23/12 07:43 AM
KarenS Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Eugene, I guess I will have a keen interest in following the Grand Prixers!

Karen

Live long and prosper
Re: Help with Mariner crossing ports [Re: KarenS] #232985 07/23/12 08:05 AM
pwolftx Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Karen, if they offer the helmet dive in Hamilton, by all means, sign up. Otherwise, we love to go over to St. George and/or to the Naval Dockyard -- they're kind of on opposite sides of the island. You'd probably love the basket slide in Funchal--but it was a little too thrilling for us smiles. Funchal is such a beautiful island, almost any tour will be great. And in Malaga, definitely go to the Alhambra if you haven't been there. And if you haven't been to Casablanca, I'd do a Highlights tour there.

Peggy
Re: Help with Mariner crossing ports [Re: KarenS] #232986 07/23/12 08:26 AM
KarenS Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Peggy! I didn't see the helmet dive listed in Hamilton sad I am checking out your other suggestions now.
I wonder with the new Regent website if we change excursions do we have to start all over like how we had to do with the old system?

Karen

Live long and prosper
Re: Help with Mariner crossing ports [Re: KarenS] #233002 07/23/12 05:14 PM
lonestarlady Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Funchal - loved this port - you would love the cable car ride up to Monte and the wicker toboggan ride back down the hill - David and I loved it! At this point I still think we were with Virtuoso (before we discovered B&K) so our tour didn't include the Botanical Gardens but we had lunch at Reid Palace.

[Linked Image]

Casablanca - I think we took the Highlights tour. They ended us dumping us at a shopping area and told us they would pick us up in an hour or so on the other side of the square - instructions were confusing, and we didn't feel particularly safe - this was not one of our best experiences with Regent tours, but perhaps they have ironed out these problems.

Malaga - we did the city tour, which was just "OK" I think if I could do it over I would go the Mijas Village.

In Palma De Mallorca, we did an all day to to Valldemosa (again, we were with Virtuosa back then, which included lunch and a classical concert) but we really enjoyed the drive to Valldemosa and visit to the Monastery - very scenic.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Cindy
TravelingTexasDuo.com

"In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." - Abraham Lincoln
Re: Help with Mariner crossing ports [Re: KarenS] #233003 07/23/12 05:30 PM
KarenS Offline OP
OP Offline
Cindy! I am loving the port tips with pictures, thank you so much! That toboggan ride looks like it was a hoot!

Karen

Live long and prosper
Re: Help with Mariner crossing ports [Re: KarenS] #233011 07/24/12 07:39 AM
lonestarlady Offline
cruiser
cruiser
I know you would enjoy the toboggan ride since you guys kind of like those "adventurous excursions"! David doesn't really like heights too much, but even he enjoyed the cable car ride to the top of Monte. Here are a couple of pics of the cable car ride:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Cindy
TravelingTexasDuo.com

"In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." - Abraham Lincoln
Re: Help with Mariner crossing ports [Re: KarenS] #233017 07/24/12 10:07 AM
KarenS Offline OP
OP Offline
Cindy, was that a ships tour? I don't see any mention of cable car rides for Funchal on my excursion list.

Karen

Live long and prosper
Re: Help with Mariner crossing ports [Re: KarenS] #233019 07/24/12 12:53 PM
lonestarlady Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Ours was an all day tour with the Virtuoso group, but I did see the cable and toboggan mentioned in this tour: Monte Village & Botanical Gardens
Unfortunately, none of the tours offered include the cable car, the toboggan AND the beautiful scenic drive to the viewpoints along the cliffs (mentioned in some of the other tours). It would be tough for me to have choose! We were fortunate to get everything crammed into one day, including a lunch at Reids Palace.

Cindy
TravelingTexasDuo.com

Re: Help with Mariner crossing ports [Re: KarenS] #233020 07/24/12 01:22 PM
KarenS Offline OP
OP Offline
Gee, I looked all through the excursions and never saw the toboggan mentioned! I signed us up, thanks Cindy!

Karen

Live long and prosper
Re: Help with Mariner crossing ports [Re: KarenS] #233031 07/25/12 01:39 AM
englishusa Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Casablanca: The movie is better than the city. Most disapointing. I certainly didn't want to spend 8 hours in a tour bus in the desert just to see a mosque! City is not "pedestrian friendly".

David
Re: Help with Mariner crossing ports [Re: KarenS] #233033 07/25/12 02:36 AM
cruisinfanatic Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Karen on CROSS we just did the Cable Car on our own, then the toboggan ride down, and like Eugene it was a little too thrilling for me, but you and Mark will love it. Keep in mind if you are there on a Sunday, they close the toboggan line at 1:00 or so, if you are not in line by then they won't let you buy a ticket. We just walked from the ship to the cable car.

In Malaga I would also agree with everyone else about the Alhambra if you haven't done that. This time we will do Mijas Village.

We did a private tour in Casablanca and we were just ahead of the ships tour. This time around we are doing the highlights tour, more just for something to do and we have friends going for the first time so doing it with them.

JoAnn

Moderated by  KarenS 

Keene Luxury Travel Offers