Luxury Cruise Talk Logo

Keene Luxury Travel
800-856-1155 · 972-701-9292
Join Our Mailing List · Email us

Who's Online Now
7 registered members (Davefr, Yallcruise, Ralph W., Ngaire, DennisK, Jim B, 1 invisible), 948 guests
Newest Members
DennisK, SuprDave, BarbD, johnsmithpmt, Juliehoover(41381 Registered Users)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Seabourn dress code change #230677 08/18/10 04:59 AM
E
Early Retiree Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
E
Seabourn is evidently changing its dress code to be more like Regent’s. The web-site now says,

“Formal Optional: While Elegantly Casual is always appropriate during the evening, a Formal Optional evening will be provided for guests who wish to dress more formally at least once each seven days.”

This is a change since formal was required in the main dining room on formal nights. According to a thread on cc this new code will go into effect in October. Elegantly Casual on the web-site is defined as a jacket for men. We are cruising on the Sojourn then so we will find out how people interpret this change. I guess the change is to help attract newer people and fill the new ships.

Merril

Re: Seabourn dress code change #230678 08/18/10 05:13 AM
petlover Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Thanks Merril. Does this mean that on "Formal Optional" night only those dressed formally are allowed in main dining room prior to October ?

Marcie

Re: Seabourn dress code change #230679 08/18/10 05:31 AM
E
Early Retiree Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
E
That was the rule before this change. However, the website does not specify a date for the change, although the post on cc does mention October. Maybe Susan can find out for us.

Re: Seabourn dress code change #230680 08/18/10 06:13 AM
sundial Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Seabourn's dress code is very confusing. I am on back to back 7 night cruises in the Med on the Odyssey in October. I was initially under the impression that there would be formal nights, but then I read on CC that they were eliminated on the 7 night Med cruises. My online account showed none for my two sailings. Then I read that this had been changed effective in October and now my account shows one for each segment. Do I understand correctly that "formal optional" means a tux or dark suit for the main dining room but a jacket with no tie is sufficient for the other dining venues or is it formal optional everywhere on the ship?

Sue
Re: Seabourn dress code change #230681 08/18/10 07:19 AM
petlover Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Sue, I'm with you...confused confused ! We cruise 7 nights on SB Spirit next month. Tom is hoping to just take sports jacket and no suit/tux.

Marcie

Re: Seabourn dress code change #230682 08/18/10 07:46 AM
lonestarlady Offline
cruiser
cruiser
I got an email form Seabourn about this several days ago. This is my understanding of the changes:

Cruises up to 13 days-1 formal optional evening
Cruises 14 to 20 days-2 formal optional evenings
Cruises 21 or more-3 formal optional evenings

The default dress code after 6:00pm is usually elegant casual (jacket but no tie required). The biggest change with the new policy (which the email said takes effect with October Cruises) is that under the new policy, you WILL be able to eat in the main dining room on formal optional nights if you are wearing a jacket or blazer with collared shirt, even WITHOUT a tie! (The old policy required you to wear a tux or dark suit/jacket and tie in order to eat in the main dining room on Formal Optional evenings.)

Hope this helps! It is VERY comfusing!

Cindy
TravelingTexasDuo.com

"In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." - Abraham Lincoln
Re: Seabourn dress code change #230683 08/18/10 07:59 AM
E
Early Retiree Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
E
Here is the thread on cc. They were confused but eventually reached the conclusion that a jacket is all that is required in the main restaurant.
(Hope the link works)
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1240032

Merril

Re: Seabourn dress code change #230684 08/18/10 09:36 AM
petlover Offline
cruiser
cruiser
I guess to me it's about the BEFORE Oct. cruises. Seems silly to require a suit for a 7 day cruise.
We always abide by dress codes, especially if we would get turned away if Tom only had a sports coat on. I like Regent's dress code better.

Marcie

Re: Seabourn dress code change #230685 08/18/10 11:30 AM
E
Early Retiree Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
E
I think before October the code was no Formal nights for 7 day cruises. Susan can check.

Merril

Re: Seabourn dress code change #230686 08/19/10 06:22 AM
sundial Offline
cruiser
cruiser
I appreciate all of this information. It sounds like even in October my DH could get by with just a sports coat, but since we are onboard for two "formal optional" nights I will probably have him take a dark suit and tie so he doesn't end up feeling out of place. Like Merril I will be curious to see how other passengers interpret this bizarre dress code. And Marcie it is my understanding as well that there are no "formal optional" nights for seven night cruises taking place prior to October.

Sue
Re: Seabourn dress code change #230687 08/20/10 04:03 PM
Susan W Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Official information from Seabourn is:

Beginning with cruises departing in October, 2010*, we will be initiating a revised suggested attire policy on board The Yachts of Seabourn. The revision addresses two issues that have been of concern to some of our guests: formal attire and jeans. The revised policies are as follows:

During the Day

Casual, resort-style attire, including jeans and shorts, is welcome in all lounges and dining venues.

Swimsuits, brief shorts, cover-ups and exercise attire should be reserved for poolside, on deck or in the spa and fitness center.

Evenings (after 6 PM) Suggested attire for all venues on board will be one of the following:

Resort Casual: Slacks and a sweater or shirt for men; sundress, skirt or slacks with a sweater or blouse for women. Jeans are not considered appropriate in the main restaurant.

Elegantly Casual: Slacks and a jacket over a sweater or collared shirt for men. Dress, skirt, or slacks with a sweater or blouse for women. Jeans are not considered appropriate in the main restaurant.

Formal Optional: While Elegantly Casual is always appropriate during the evening, a Formal Optional evening will be provided for guests who wish to dress more formally at least once each seven days.

Formal Optional attire includes a tuxedo or dark suit with tie for men, cocktail dress or other formal apparel for women. On Formal Optional evenings, we request no jeans in any of the lounges or dining venues.

The itinerary in the “Already Booked” section of Seabourn’s website, or in the preliminary document booklet, will inform guests of the number of Formal Optional evenings to expect during any voyage. As a rule of thumb, Formal Optional evenings are scheduled as follows:

Cruises up to 13 days: One Formal Optional evening
Cruises of 14 to 20 days: Two Formal Optional evenings
Cruises of 21 or more days: Three Formal Optional evenings
(Note: World Cruises, Holiday voyages and crossings may be scheduled differently.)

* New policy implemented beginning on the following cruise departures:

Odyssey, Spirit, Legend October 2

Pride October 7

Sojourn October 11

Susan
Re: Seabourn dress code change #230688 08/20/10 07:51 PM
jhp Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Thank you Susan, for this update!

Moderated by  KarenS 

Keene Luxury Travel Offers