Luxury Cruise Talk Logo

Keene Luxury Travel
800-856-1155 · 972-701-9292
Join Our Mailing List · Email us

Who's Online Now
7 registered members (Yallcruise, Ralph W., Ngaire, Davefr, DennisK, Jim B, 1 invisible), 816 guests
Newest Members
DennisK, SuprDave, BarbD, johnsmithpmt, Juliehoover(41381 Registered Users)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Home from Africa #207964 09/28/08 03:29 PM
Arlene Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
Gil and I arrived home this morning after 30 hours of traveling. The experience was like no other I have ever had and I have the 3000 pictures to prove it. I still have to go through them but will post a few in the next few days.

Some quick thoughts:

Capetown was enjoyable despite very windy weather which kept us from going up to Table Mountain. We enjoyed the Cape Point tour. It was raining most of the time we were in the van, yet the skies seemed to part whenever we were out of the van. The views were incredible. The wine tour the next day...or was the wine tour first...was alot of fun with the large group we had, and made all the more special by getting to see Birkenhead's new property.

After 4 days in Capetown we were off to Hermanus and Birkenhead house for 2 days. The place was beautiful and the hot chocolate was the best ever...maybe the Amarula helped? However the weather didn't cooperate but we managed to enjoy with all the wonderful people who were there with us. And waking up each morning to the view from our room (2) was spectacular.

Our first camp was Mateya. Only way to describe it was it was pure luxury. It is in the Madekwe game reserve and we saw some great game...lion's um...dating, the mother rhino protecting her baby, the lion cubs, the multitude of birds, the elephants at the watering hole, and the most exciting was watching the two male lions enjoying their kill while a brave (or was it a foolhardy) jackel tried to steal the meat from the head male.

After 3 days there we headed to Lion's Sand camp for our final 4 days. We thought Mateya was luxury...this camp soared far above that. The food was good enough to be served in the finest restaurants in NY, the rooms were stunning and roomy (Gil said he didn't want to leave the room it was that gorgeous). We had views of the Sabi River and the land in front. Many a morning we were greeted by springbok or nyala nibbling outside our windows and elephants drinking down by the river. The game viewing was better than at Madekwe (although Madekwe's game viewing was quite good!) Our first drive out we were not more than 10 feet from elephants. It was a bit disconcerting. Highlights included getting stuck in the sand while viewing a pride of lions and having the other truck try and pull us out of the sand...and failing. (Plus the laughter as Gil and Bill...Gemma's husband...discussed which of them should be the sacrifical lamb and run out of the van to distract the lions. Thankfully we didn't have to choose.) We enjoyed every minute especially since it afforded us fantastic close up views of the lions. Other highlights were finally seeing leopards, the hyena's waiting outside our sundowner, and the rhino's viewing us in the bush during our outdoor breakfast. Add to that the sitings of mongoose, tons of elephants including several babies, the cape buffalo, the zebra, the giraffe's and all the other animals.

I'd have to say that the other highlight was the wonderful people we met and the memories I'll always have. This was by far the best vacation I've ever had.

"It tastes like Kudu" says the Yellow Crested, Green Giggler.

Re: Home from Africa #207965 09/29/08 10:27 PM
Mrs. Marc Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Arlene, et al,

I am just now beginning to read all the ROAR II threads... I didn't read them while you were all there... too jealous I suppose!

I am so glad you had a wonderful experience. Like you, for me ROAR was incredible and magical and right at the top of my list of favorite vacations. And... you are right... there is nothing like Hot Chocolate with Amarula!!! :D I can't wait now to wade through all the pictures.

Arlene
Adventure before Dementia!
Re: Home from Africa #207966 09/30/08 04:12 AM
southernlady Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Arlene, so good to read that you enjoyed the time in South Africa. Your enthusiasm is contagious! Alan and I will be staying in Lion Sands for 3 days before joining GAME. Can hardly wait! Thanks for all the details.

Donna

I write about active travel for baby boomers: www.myitchytravelfeet.com
Re: Home from Africa #207967 09/30/08 04:36 AM
petlover Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Thanks Arlene! It sounds like your trip was exceptional, we can't wait to go back in November on GAME.

Marcie

Re: Home from Africa #207968 09/30/08 11:57 AM
Arlene Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
Originally posted by southernlady:
Alan and I will be staying in Lion Sands for 3 days before joining GAME. Can hardly wait! Thanks for all the details.
You will love it!

I'm almost finished wading through the pictures, and deleting the ones that weren't focused...I'm thinking I'll have them posted by the wknd but don't hold me to it.

Re: Home from Africa #207969 09/30/08 02:01 PM
RPM Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Donna you and Alan will think you are in heaven,it's sooo beautiful.
We were in the Malachite cabin(?) number 4 from the main lodge but right across from reception and drive pick-ups.Not too shabby if I say so myself.

Have to get me a photo place thats not to difficult for me.Mug a shot looks good but we'll see.
Pat

Pat and Ray

Moderated by  KarenS 

Keene Luxury Travel Offers