Luxury Cruise Talk Logo

Keene Luxury Travel
800-856-1155 · 972-701-9292
Join Our Mailing List · Email us

Who's Online Now
5 registered members (Ngaire, Jim B, seadog, DennisK, 1 invisible), 947 guests
Newest Members
DennisK, SuprDave, BarbD, johnsmithpmt, Juliehoover(41381 Registered Users)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Booked the Nautica! #183415 07/22/05 10:13 AM
E
ElleninNY Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
E
We have just booked a Penthouse Suite for the July 2, 2006, sailing of the Nautica, Athens to Istanbul. The PH suites are nearly all gone and the ship is heavily booked a year ahead of time! Oceania must be doing something right!

Re: Booked the Nautica! #183416 07/22/05 10:52 AM
robert Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Congrats, Ellen! Hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Robert

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.
-Thoreau
Re: Booked the Nautica! #183417 07/22/05 12:30 PM
E
ElleninNY Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
E
Many thanks. My only concern is that Oceania's excursions got less than stellar reviews and I'd like to arrange some private tours. The ports are primarily "off the beaten" path - Yalta, Sochi, Russia, Sevastopol, Odessa, Constanta, Romania, Nessebur, Bulgaria, Kusadasi. We've been to Santorini and Athens and I have the name of a guide4 in Istanbul. Does anyone know of private guides in these ports or how I could locate them?

Re: Booked the Nautica! #183418 07/22/05 06:54 PM
Claudia Offline
cruiser
cruiser
You are right, They are only interested in selling their own tours, which probably makes sence since they are their own company ( not a part of the ship.. as most cruise line destination services are).
But.. they do book for you private cars and tours for your own group.. so you do not have to hassle in advance ( a very nice thing) when you get on ship go to destinations and they can help you set up drivers for yourself ( or your group).. this is great in countries where many of us die hard travelers can not assist you with drivers or guides, and the ship then, will become responsible for you to get back to the ship before they cast off..

Re: Booked the Nautica! #183419 07/22/05 06:57 PM
Claudia Offline
cruiser
cruiser
P.S. Do you have Negat for Istanbul?

Re: Booked the Nautica! #183420 07/23/05 05:33 AM
Wandra Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Ellen,

I did some of those ports on the Diamond last summer. So ask questions if you like about Yalta, Sevastopol, Odessa, Constanta and Nessebur.

We did the Radisson excursions in these places, but I'm sure there are private guides. I found it difficult at the time finding info on the net. I think Nessebur would be quite easy to do on your own, if you wanted to tour the old town (as we did.) In Constanta, we took a tour to Ancient Histria, a Greek settlement at the mouth of the Danube. Beautiful.

The Ukraine is crawling with former-soviet Intourist guides. I found some of these tours tedious, since they were very regimented. We went to the palace in Yalta where the famous conference was held, had to wear slippers to go inside, and were herded like cattle. Yalta is very touristy, not all in a good way. Odessa is beautiful. We had the good fortunate in Sevastopol to have a Crimea history expert onboard who led the tour, but there seemed to be good local tourism support there as well, very well worth the visit.

Let me know if you want any specifics about these places.

Wendy
------
Booked: Uniworld Egypt, 2015
Tauck Amsterdam to Budapest, 2016
Paul Gauguin, Societies & Tuamotus 2016
Re: Booked the Nautica! #183421 07/23/05 05:52 AM
Denise Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Hi Ellen,

Welcome home!

I believe I emailed you info on two wonderful guides for Istanbul/Kusadasi. Please let me know if you'd like me to send them your way if I didn't.

Denise

Retired and loving it!
Re: Booked the Nautica! #183422 07/23/05 09:09 AM
E
ElleninNY Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
E
Many thanks to all who replied. Yes, Denise, I would love the name of the guide you mentioned for Istanbul and Kusadasi.

Wandra, we just returned from Russia and the Baltics and since we were in Moscow before the cruise, we got individual visas. What kind of Visa did you get for the Ukraine? Are you forced to stay with a guide there as we would have been if we didn't have individual visas in Russia? I'm afraid that in Sochi I will be forced to go with the ship's excursion. It doesn't make sense to get a Russian visa for just one port.

Do you think we could do anything besides Nessebur on our own? We enjoyed some days of organized sightseeing and enjoy a few on our own without a leash! We will be traveling with another couple, not totally on our own! Any other info you have on these ports would be welcome. We have been to Santorini and Athens so we are fine there.

Claudia, I do not have Negat's info. I wonder if he is one of the names that Denise is going to give me.

Best to you,
Ellen

Re: Booked the Nautica! #183423 07/23/05 09:26 AM
Wandra Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Ellen, I think you will have to get a Ukrainian visa before you go, unless Oceania takes care of that for you--Radisson did all that. We got proper stamps in our passports, and were required to carry them off the ship. But we were allowed to travel independently. I would contact Oceania and ask if they do the same.

Odessa you certainly can do on your own. All three Ukrainian ports, actually. Just do your homework first, and realize that everything is in Russian and you can't count on English speakers everywhere. If you want to see the Crimean war sites in Sevastopol and Balaklava, you might want a guide.

I think the only place I would hesitate to do without some kind of guidance would be Constanta. It is a big industrial port, quite a big city. Outside is a very large beach resort--lots of Europeans there, seemed quite nice. But Romania in general just seemed a little edgy to me. But that might just be me--there's lots of contradictions, beach resorts, fancy shoes for sale in the stores, snotty teenagers slouching around, and men working in the fields with pitchforks, and villages full of horse-carts and donkeys. The Danube basin is beautiful, full of wildlife, but also scarred from industry.

Wendy
------
Re: Booked the Nautica! #183424 07/25/05 04:54 AM
E
ElleninNY Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
E
Wandra,

After three days in Moscow and three in St. Pete's, I know what it is like not to be able to read anything and not to make myself understood! It amazes me that they welcome tourists yet make no effort at transliterating into an alphabet that is better understood. My husband speaks some Rumanian so we may put him to use! I'll explore some guide books and see if I'm brave enough to go it alone. Thanks for the advice!
Ellen

Re: Booked the Nautica! #183425 07/26/05 06:41 AM
Claudia Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Ellen here is Nejat Incedogans' email. He is a private tour guide and lecturer for Ephesus
( and Istanbul).
nicedogan@yahoo.com

Re: Booked the Nautica! #183426 07/26/05 01:38 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I second Claudia, Nejat is the best..everyone who goes with him is so impressed at his knowledge..

Re: Booked the Nautica! #183427 08/03/05 11:02 AM
J
Jack4cruisin Offline
cruiser
cruiser
J
Ellen,

We just booked the July '06 Athens - Instanbul, too! We're veteran Radisson cruisers, but prefer 10 -12 night cruises. It seems Radisson is mainly in a 7-night pattern in Europe.

We heard a lot of favorable comments regarding Oceania from fellow passengers on our recent Crystal Harmony SF/Alaska cruise (while they were grumbly about declining Crystal service standards).

Unless they're holding some cabins back during their 2-fo-1 promotion, it's true that they're booking quickly on this cruise. I was told we got one of the last two available B2 veranda cabins.

We looking forward to experiencing Oceania on the Nautica.

Jack
Oceania Nautica July 2,2006 (plan)
Crystal Harmony 2005 [Ugh! sad ]
RSSC Voyager 2004
RSSC Voyager 2003
RSSC Mariner 2002
RSSC Navigator 2001
RSSC PG 2000
Re: Booked the Nautica! #183428 08/03/05 01:02 PM
C
cruiseluv Offline
cruiser
cruiser
C
Hi Jack,

I see you label your Crystal Harmony experience with a Ugh!. Could you describe what went wrong? My parents are considering doing a round trip SF to Alaska next year ( if offered) and I would like to warn them if there is something wrong with Crystal's level of service or any other aspect of the cruise.

Thanks! ( and welcome to LCT!)

Re: Booked the Nautica! #183429 08/03/05 01:30 PM
petlover Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Great news Jack!

I do wish that Oceania didn't have such strict no-smoking rules for their balconies. I don't smoke inside my cabin (and no smoking around the ship is fine with me too) but I'm just not ready to give up having a cigarette on my balcony with morning coffee or a sunset cocktail. Even if there were just a handful of cabins (up high, down low, front, back, hide us anywhere they'd want). Quite a few of us here on LCT (me, Joanna, Karen, Oliva come to mind would love to try Oceania except for this (4 other couples I met on the WC too that don't post here as well).

Oh well, I know with the Renaissance carry over this will never change. I'm just venting. DONE NOW! Everyone can stop throwing pies at me.

Marcie

Re: Booked the Nautica! #183430 08/04/05 06:31 AM
E
ElleninNY Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
E
Jack,

I'm delighted to hear that you have taken the leap, as we have! I am concerned, though, because I recently read that Oceania might cancel Kusadasi and/or Istanbul because of terrorist incidents. Although I certainly recognize that they are doing this for our safety, how will a shipload of passengers who have return tickets from Istanbul get there?

Ellen

Re: Booked the Nautica! #183431 08/04/05 07:56 AM
Claudia Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Originally posted by petlover:in part

I do wish that Oceania didn't have such strict no-smoking rules for their balconies. I don't smoke inside my cabin (and no smoking around the ship is fine with me too)

There is smoking in certain areas around the ship and in a lounge/bar there is a separate section.
The no smoking in cabins and on balconies is something that Oceania is not alone in implementing. Have been reading about many other ships that have the same policy.

Re: Booked the Nautica! #183432 08/04/05 07:57 AM
Claudia Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Originally posted by petlover:
In part also:

Oh well, I know with the Renaissance carry over this will never change. .
Oceania has absolutely nothing to do with Renaissance ( just the ships). Assuming you mean the smoking ? They did not even allow smoking on Ren.

Re: Booked the Nautica! #183433 08/04/05 08:02 AM
Claudia Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Originally posted by ElleninNY:
Jack,

I'm delighted to hear that you have taken the leap, as we have! I am concerned, though, because I recently read that Oceania might cancel Kusadasi and/or Istanbul because of terrorist incidents. Although I certainly recognize that they are doing this for our safety, how will a shipload of passengers who have return tickets from Istanbul get there?
Ellen
Ellen,
Why don't you start a new thread at Cruise Critic "ask FDR" and I am sure he will answer your question about what would happen, re: airline tickets . Good idea to get the answer from "the horses mouth".

Re: Booked the Nautica! #183434 08/04/05 10:11 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
At this point Oceania has no thought of canceling either Kusadasi or Istanbul..when and if they are discussing it, I will be happy to post here..
Jan

Re: Booked the Nautica! #183435 08/04/05 10:13 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Jack, the one problem with Oceania is how quickly they book up..the rest of 2005 is 97% sold out and 2006 is 80% sold out..so anyone that wants to go on Oceania has to book way ahead..
Jan

Re: Booked the Nautica! #183436 08/04/05 10:39 AM
J
Jack4cruisin Offline
cruiser
cruiser
J
Ellen - We were booked on a RSSC Venice-Istanbul cruise a couple years ago, and they substituted Athens for Instanbul a few months prior to embarkation due to security concerns. I had booked our own Lufthansa tickets (through United), and I phoned United to see what I needed to do to change the return flight. As soon as I said that the cruise itinerary was changed due to "security reaons" the agent said "non problem; and no charge in that case." Of course, I don't know if that's still their policy. But worst case, I think we'd just have to pay the normal $100/pp change fee (I hope).

Jan - I wonder why Oceania offers such great promotions (e.g., the just-ended 2-for-1 fare + free air) if they're booking up quickly. Or are these promotional offers the reason for filling up early?

Jack

Jack
Oceania Nautica July 2,2006 (plan)
Crystal Harmony 2005 [Ugh! sad ]
RSSC Voyager 2004
RSSC Voyager 2003
RSSC Mariner 2002
RSSC Navigator 2001
RSSC PG 2000
Re: Booked the Nautica! #183437 08/04/05 04:03 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Jack,
In the 3 years since they have begun, they have raised the promotion prices each time the new itineraries come out..it seems the promotions brings the people in and that is why they are always so full..August first they took off many of the 2 for 1 fares and are now just offering Early Booking Fares..
I can tell you that almost every cruise goes out full..Frank Delrio does not like empty cabins on any of his ships
because they are booked so far ahead this is one line wait-listing does work..

Ellen, you are going to be thrilled with the Nautica as the refubishing she is undergoing in dry dock is much more extensive than either the Regatta or the Insignia..these two ships will be upgraded to match Nautica as they go into drydock later in the year..
Jan

Re: Booked the Nautica! #183438 08/04/05 04:54 PM
E
ElleninNY Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
E
Jan,

I did it - let's follow the new thread and pray it never has to happen!

Yes, we are very excited about both the ship and the itinerary. I have already contacted 4 or 5 guides in Turkey. They all answered immediately, all sound terrific, and now I'm utterly confused!

Re: Booked the Nautica! #183439 08/04/05 05:05 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There are 2 guides that I have personally met and both are excellent..I will be happy to share their names with you..
Jan

Re: Booked the Nautica! #183440 08/05/05 03:04 AM
E
ElleninNY Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
E
Jan,

Please do share their names. I have received wonderful responses but would like to zero in. There is also a huge difference in price, but you get what you pay for, don't you?

Thanks,

Ellen

Re: Booked the Nautica! #183441 08/05/05 05:32 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Ellen,
Stu and I used Levent twice and Nejat once when Levent wasnt available..here is Levents website..http://www.leventsolmaz.com/
I will get back to you with Nejat
Jan

Re: Booked the Nautica! #183442 08/05/05 06:11 AM
petlover Offline
cruiser
cruiser
We used Levent for Ephesus in April....he was GREAT!

Marcie

Re: Booked the Nautica! #183443 08/05/05 06:33 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks Marcie for the reinforcement..we thought he was terrific also..on another subject! My daughter is trying to talk us into taking a kitten she has 4 (our grandaughter brought home 2 and she has 2) but I have never had a cat and we travel so much..Im really nervous about taking an indoor kitten..what do you think..I would value your opinion
Jan

Re: Booked the Nautica! #183444 08/05/05 10:21 AM
E
ElleninNY Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
E
Levent is one of the guides I have been corresponding with.

One of the guides--don't remember who--wanted $70 pp for Ephesus and was taking 14 people. I got another quote for much less for a group of 4. I know you get what you pay for and I'm sure the guide that wanted $70 pp is excellent but I hate to be one of 14.

I have only received prices from two guides thus far because we are still workingon itineraries. I'm trying to decide what to see and what to miss. We can't do it all and I'm worried about burnout. We're planning on spending additional time in Istanbul so we need to save some physical and mental energy for the end as well!

Re: Booked the Nautica! #183445 08/05/05 10:54 AM
petlover Offline
cruiser
cruiser
In April there were 6 of us with Levent. We visited the House of the Virgin Mary and Epheus and the cost (excluding tip) was $30 per person. $30 per person was to include seeing a museum too but we all opted to cut the afternoon short so we'd have time to SHOP! (we prefer 1/2 day tours over full day anyway). We were all very very happy with Levent.

Besides being very nice and so knowlegeable, I was impressed that he always carries a bottle of water with him around Ephesus and pours little cups of water in various locations for all the stray cats that live there. Now that is my kind of guy!!

Marcie

Re: Booked the Nautica! #183446 08/05/05 01:25 PM
joannapv Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Jan: We have two cats and they are much easier than dogs, I think, as far as traveling - if we are going away for 4 days or less we leave them with plenty of food and water etc - longer than that I have someone come in to empty litter box and check on their food - we were gone for 6 weeks in Jan/Feb and my cat sitter came in 4 times a week - painless - we had our cats declawed and they have never been outside - I am a cat lover!! Let's see what Marcie says

Joanna
Re: Booked the Nautica! #183447 08/05/05 01:51 PM
joannapv Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Oceania has absolutely nothing to do with Renaissance ( just the ships).

Claudia is the CEO of Oceania the same one from Ren??

Joanna
Re: Booked the Nautica! #183448 08/05/05 03:28 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Frank Delrio was CEO for under 6 months at Ren and resigned in April of 01 when a new company bought Ren and a new CEO was brought in..(Ren was in business untill 9/25/01) Joe Waters who is the Chairman at Oceania was Preident of Crystal for several years..Most of the key players at Oceania are from SilverSeas and Cunard..they are a great bunch of people and seem to be doing everything right..

Thanks Joann for the info on cats..I do believe after my next Oceania cruise I will get one..

Jan

Re: Booked the Nautica! #183449 08/05/05 03:40 PM
joannapv Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Thanks Jan! - great to hear Oceania and Radisson are doing everything right -

Joanna
Re: Booked the Nautica! #183450 08/05/05 04:00 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree..of all the lines IMHO these two are best..
Jan

Re: Booked the Nautica! #183451 08/07/05 04:22 AM
E
ElleninNY Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
E
I just received Levent's response: he is charging $60 pp, excluding entrance fees and lunch, for a 6 hour tour for 4 people. He is including a bit more than we would like. I do not want to burn out before Istanbul--where we are planning three, long, packed days--so I'd rather do a four hour tour with more shopping time! I hope he will be agreeable!

His prices seem reasonable but I am most touched by the story of the cats. I hope I remember to bring a few snacks for the cats as well!

Re: Booked the Nautica! #183452 08/07/05 04:56 AM
petlover Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Jan: We have two cats and they are much easier than dogs, I think, as far as traveling
Oh yes....cats are soooooooo much easier than dogs in all ways! We love our dogs so much but the day will come when we will own cats only to make our travels easier.

Marcie

Re: Booked the Nautica! #183453 08/07/05 07:28 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks, I will let you know when I get up the nerve to get a cat..as I have really not had much experience with them..
Regards,
Jan

Re: Booked the Nautica! #183454 08/17/05 08:49 PM
CJ Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Jan,

I'm thrilled you're getting a kitty! Actually, I think you should get two, since you travel so much they'll keep each other company when you're away.

We have two and think it's the best thing to do. And when you're at home, two cats truly aren't more work than one.

When we travel, we have a catsitter that comes to the house everyday to feed them, clean out the litter box and play with them for a little while.

CJ

Re: Booked the Nautica! #183455 08/18/05 03:22 AM
Wandra Offline
cruiser
cruiser
I agree it's always good to get a pair of cats, littermates are a particularly good choice.

I myself couldn't persuade my husband of that, he's a dog-lover exclusively, so we just have one. He's an indoor cat, so he does get lonely. I'm still working on softening David up, but since we're downsizing to a condo in a couple of years, I think a second cat is probably not in the cards.

I admit I prefer males, but if I had a pair, I would have one of each.

Wendy
------
Re: Booked the Nautica! #183456 08/18/05 04:33 AM
joannapv Offline
cruiser
cruiser
We felt that our first cat, a female, must be lonely so when she was about 3 we brought in a male kitchen - to this day they despise each other - the male tries and tries with the cranky female but I think he gave up and now just torments her - he'll wait till she walks by and pounce on her from the sofa - lots of meow yelling!!

Joanna
Re: Booked the Nautica! #183457 08/18/05 10:38 PM
Masaki Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Male cats are definitely more affectionate.

Masaki

Re: Booked the Nautica! #183458 08/19/05 02:31 AM
Wandra Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Joanna, yes I agree, bringing another cat into the mix is very problematic. I figure my only hope is to get a very young female for my male, and hope that they bond because the kitten won't leave him alone, and because he's interested in her because she's female. He's only about 4. Neutering doesn't erase their interest in girl cats, especially since he was a rescue, who apparently fathered kittens before he was "fixed".

Wendy
------
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KarenS 

Keene Luxury Travel Offers