Luxury Cruise Talk Logo

Keene Luxury Travel
800-856-1155 · 972-701-9292
Join Our Mailing List · Email us

Who's Online Now
7 registered members (Davefr, Yallcruise, Ralph W., Ngaire, DennisK, Jim B, 1 invisible), 948 guests
Newest Members
DennisK, SuprDave, BarbD, johnsmithpmt, Juliehoover(41381 Registered Users)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 41 of 58 1 2 39 40 41 42 43 57 58
Re: Weight loss support group #159194 04/06/07 07:47 PM
cruisinsince75 Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Dave, unless you are doing a low carb diet, the Ketostix may not work as well for you. However any change in color means that you are in ketosis (burning fat). Once you get over so many carbs in your system though, they may not show much change in color, if any.

BTW, deviled eggs are actually on my diet. In fact this morning, I even made an italian frittata, with zucchini and mozzarella. Boy was it good, and we have some leftover for Easter morning.

Kathy, hate those plateaus. Like you said though, better than up!

Don
Re: Weight loss support group #159195 04/09/07 07:26 AM
Ms Understood Offline
cruiser
cruiser
I tried to convince my diet people that chocolate chicks are protein but alas they have heard it all before. I have gained back 2 of the lost 3 after yesterdy's extravaganza. I jst coudl not resist the Godiva chcolate or the scalloped potatoes. Back on the wagon today!
I have 3 days to lose it again before I head out on my short little Wonder cruise. Hope the rest of you fared better than I over the weekend.
--------------------
Helen

Re: Weight loss support group #159196 04/09/07 08:55 AM
Quilters Duet Offline
cruiser
cruiser
I did okay over the weekend. No lose, no gain. Godiva chocolate has been in my diet plans forever. I'm very grouchy without it. I did skip the scalloped potatoes though. We had baked yams instead.

Don - okay on the ketostix. I don't know if my diet qualifies as low carb. It's definitely lower than it used to be though. I'm convinced it's making a huge difference.

We use Miricle Whip light in our deviled eggs so they don't hurt as much. I like the taste better than mayo anyway.

Dave

[Linked Image]
Calm down, I'm in charge.
Re: Weight loss support group #159197 04/09/07 09:44 AM
ChatKat... Offline
cruiser
cruiser
I've been good - the scale told me so this morning - not a lot but it budged in the right direction. I made a leg of lamb yesteday, skipped the potatoes and had steamed asparagus as my only side and had a salad for lunch...

Oh give me my Best Foods back! (Hellman's to you in the East!). My dessert was chocolate too - Jello Sugar Free/Fat Free pudding. That stuff is a diet saver!

VOYAGER:
MC to FLL 11/07
MC/Dover 6/06
MARINER:
BCN / Ven 10/11
Alaska 2001|2006
Panama Canal 2003
NAV
Caribbean 11/06
Bermuda|New Eng/Canada 6/04
PG 5/05
OCEANIA
Nautica |Ist/Athens 6/07
Regatta|Baltics 6/08
Riviera 2013 Crossing -Istanbul to Miami
Re: Weight loss support group #159198 04/09/07 01:09 PM
Ms Understood Offline
cruiser
cruiser
I am now on 3 days of protein only so now salad and asparagus sound pretty good to me. When I get in a size 8 I shall think it all worthwhile. For all my whining I actually feel so much better since embarking on my current course and I just have to be mindful of that when the chocolate beckons.
Hey Kathy, I am now having to be in San Luis Obispo for court at 9 am on May 2 and then 2 depositions to follow. I am debating whether to drive up on May 1. Maybe lunch on the way up or dinner on the way back?
---------------
Helen

Re: Weight loss support group #159199 04/09/07 01:49 PM
cruisinsince75 Offline
cruiser
cruiser
I can let everybody know tomorrow how I did. I missed weigh in this morning because of a sales meeting.

I was pretty good yesterday and stayed within my food choices. Total calories yesterday were 2025 (goal was 2000) and total net carbs were 27 (goal was 25).

For dinner last night we had some friends over and had some type of boneless chicken breast from a recipe on the Food Network (even though we couldn't find frenched chicken breast with the wing bone still attached) anywhere. We also had some green beans with carmelized onions and walnuts, and while everybody else had garlic fingerling potatoes, I had a cauliflower-leek puree. It is supposed to be a subsitute for mashed potatoes. Not quite the same, but they were actually pretty good.

For lunch I grilled some filet mignons, and had some grilled asparagus, and a small side salad with blue cheese dressing with it.

For breakfast we had the remainder of the Italian Frittata.

Don
Re: Weight loss support group #159200 04/09/07 01:53 PM
ChatKat... Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Don,

You can do a puree of cauliflower, add some milk and maybe some sauteed onion and garlic and it will taste pretty good too.

All excellent! Helen, I sent you an email.

VOYAGER:
MC to FLL 11/07
MC/Dover 6/06
MARINER:
BCN / Ven 10/11
Alaska 2001|2006
Panama Canal 2003
NAV
Caribbean 11/06
PG 5/05
OCEANIA
Nautica |Ist/Athens 6/07
Regatta|Baltics 6/08
Re: Weight loss support group #159201 04/09/07 02:40 PM
Sue&TomInGeorgia Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Looking at purchasing a treadmill or an elliptical both made my NordicTrack. I would love to hear your input as to the brand, is one better than the other and so forth.

Perhaps a brand you have may be better than NordicTrack - please let me know what you think and I appreciate the input!!! :)

Please keep in mind I can't run due to weak muscles - this would just be for walking and trying to get a few inches off and a few lbs, too!

Thanks!

Sue
"A vacation is having nothing to do and all day to do it in" Robert Orben
Re: Weight loss support group #159202 04/09/07 02:42 PM
Sue&TomInGeorgia Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Looking at purchasing a treadmill or an elliptical both made my NordicTrack. I would love to hear your input as to the brand, is one better than the other and so forth.

Perhaps a brand you have may be better than NordicTrack - please let me know what you think and I appreciate the input!!! :)

Please keep in mind I can't run due to weak muscles - this would just be for walking and trying to get a few inches off and a few lbs, too!

Thanks!

Sue
Re: Weight loss support group #159203 04/09/07 09:43 PM
CruiserPK Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Sue,

We purchased both an elliptical machine and a treadmill for our home in NH. We love the machines and use them whenever we are there. I will be back in the US next week and can send you the details (manufacturer and model) They both are gym quality so they should last us forever. ;)
Cheers, Pam

Re: Weight loss support group #159204 04/10/07 02:00 AM
ITravelNow Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Hi....I'm back! And I'm going to admit I was very, very, very BAD on my cruise.

I did not pass on anything I love to eat. The food was great and I enjoyed every bite - so now I pay the piper - I gained 5 pounds - but my clothes still feel very big so I'm hoping it's some water weight and it will come off quickly.

I worked out every day on the ship - most of the time at least 60 minutes - can you imagine how much I could have gained if I hadn't! :eek:

Well, it was fun - back to the basics. Thank God I wasn't on the World Cruise!

Margo
Re: Weight loss support group #159205 04/10/07 03:10 AM
Sue&TomInGeorgia Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Thanks Pam that would be great! :)

Margo those 5 pounds will just disappear now that you are home.
;)
I am with you about the WC...I would probably have to have clothes from size 10 to 20 for all the weight I'd gain! :eek:

Sue
Re: Weight loss support group #159206 04/10/07 07:37 AM
cruisinsince75 Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Helen, have a fun cruise! We will be here when you get back.

Kathy, congrats on getting the scale to budge. It is frustrating not seeing it go down. On the cauliflower puree, the Atkins recipe is similar. You add cream though instead of milk (lower carbs, but higher fat) and leeks instead of onions. It also calls for nutmeg as an option. Garlic would probably be a good addition as well. Good think I like Cauliflower!

Sue, you might also see if you can find some reconditioned gym treadmills, eliptical, or bikes. Because of my size, I find the other ones just aren't sturdy enough. Look for Precor or LifeFitness, or LifeCycle or something similar. Maybe somebody has some other suggestions on what they use.

Margo, welcome home! 5 lbs isn't that bad! If it is water, it is probably SALT water! LOL Good job on using the gym onboard. BTW, did you log it on your FitLinxx? As far as the World Cruise, I wonder how Marcie does it? Can you imagine? They would probably have to haul me off as cargo! LOL

Last week I lost two more pounds, so a pretty good week. I have now lost 73 lbs since August and 45 lbs since January 1st.

Also yesterday my boss commented on how much weight that I had lost. You know it actually felt good when he called me a "Big Fat Loser" LOL :D

Don
Re: Weight loss support group #159207 04/10/07 07:53 AM
Ms Understood Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Wow Margo, you went every day, that deserves a pat on the back. Sue is right, the 5 lbs will be gone on no time.
I have a treadmill but can't recall the manufacturer and I am not at home. It was recommended by our gym owner and I like that it folds up. Not to put away 'cuz it weighs a ton (and, of course, out of sight...) but just to get it out of the way every now and then.
I am out of here tomorrow Hopefully, the Mickey waffles will not be my undoing!
------------------
Helen

Re: Weight loss support group #159208 04/10/07 08:56 AM
Sue&TomInGeorgia Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Helen everything (food-wise) on a Disney ship contains no fat or calories so eat those Mickey waffles and enjoy! ;)

Sue
Re: Weight loss support group #159209 04/10/07 10:52 AM
ITravelNow Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Sue...my favorite piece of equipment is the Elliptical Trainer - our gym has Lifecyle (I think, will look more carefully tomorrow). I recommend trying one out for a few "runs" - it took me a little while to get comfortable, but now I love it - much more than a treadmill - it's much easier on the joints.

Helen - have a great cruise - enjoy it and worry about what you eat when you get home!

Don...you're right - I'm sure it was the "salt water"!

Margo
Re: Weight loss support group #159210 04/13/07 03:45 AM
Quilters Duet Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Well, I haven't had such a good week. I haven't lost any, but haven't gained any. I haven't eaten well either.

Gee Margo, I didn't even know the ships had gyms, LOL. ;) I bet that 5 lbs is already gone.

Don, a couple pounds at a time. That's the way to do it. Keep up the good work. Your results so far are astonishing. What motivation in and of itself.

Sue - We have a PaceMaster ProPlus treadmill. This is in between the cheapies and the gym quality treadmill. It ran us around $800 about 8 years ago. We have been very pleased with it. When we demo'd it, the salesman and I both got on it and it didn't even hiccup. The 'Plus' in the name is a heart rate monitor, which I have never had any luck with. It didn't pick up my heart rate regularly. Christie never had a problem with it, so I think it depends on the person. Very strong motor and the deck has very good suspension. Don't be fooled by treadmills with thick belts. The motor has to turn that belt and that's a lot of drag. It's a cheap way to say it's easy on your joints. When we looked, I wasn't impressed with NordicTrack. They were way overpriced for the technology. I believe they have changed hands now so their quality and value might have improved.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Dave

[Linked Image]
Calm down, I'm in charge.
Re: Weight loss support group #159211 04/13/07 02:33 PM
cruisinsince75 Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Dave, next week will be a better week. Like you said, in spite of not eating well, at least you didn't gain!

This has been a week of adjusting for me. Still trying to figure out all these fat/carb/protein ratios. I have been charting everything and having to make adjustments to my diet along the way. By the time that lunch is over, it kind of dictates for me what I'm going to have for dinner. Tonight is an 8 oz filet mignon and 12 asparagus spears. I have stayed within 100 calories of my goal each day and within 1 gram of my total carb count and within 1% on each of my ratios.

Boy this is work!!!

Don
Re: Weight loss support group #159212 04/13/07 02:44 PM
ChatKat... Offline
cruiser
cruiser
No kidding, Don. It is work. But each ounce that the scale moves is progress. Each time you say I will have this instead of that is a step closer. The goal is to make a lifestyle change for the better.

Yesterday we went to our favorite weekday diner (well not really a diner but we go there when I don't want to cook - which is often!) Oh did I want the soft tacos or the pasta. I am due for my pasta night. I ordered the light ahi tuna that comes with salad, which I really didn't want. But the reward was today when I reached another new low on the scale. The food was good anyway. Dessert was a cappucino. The time will pass no matter what. The food doesn't have to be all important, does it?

Editing to add that I can't see the brand name on my treadmill. It's a gym quality one - Startrac, I think. Excellent when I work on it. Why can't I see the name? It's underneath the storage stuff on top of it. I am going to redo that room soon so that thing is useable.

VOYAGER:
MC to FLL 11/07
MC/Dover 6/06
MARINER:
BCN / Ven 10/11
Alaska 2001|2006
Panama Canal 2003
NAV
Caribbean 11/06
PG 5/05
OCEANIA
Nautica |Ist/Athens 6/07
Regatta|Baltics 6/08
Re: Weight loss support group #159213 04/15/07 10:31 AM
cruisinsince75 Offline
cruiser
cruiser
With this being mid month, I checked on all my stats to date for the month to see where I am so far this month. I am still #1 in FitPoints and Calories Burned at our gym, but just today somebody passed me for the #1 spot in Weight Lifted! Just more motivation! LOL

Exercise
Calories burned 8665
Total mileage 78.25, which is 61.5 miles on the bike, 15.25 miles walking, and 1.5 miles (2400 meters) swimming
Total weight lifted 285,505 lbs.
Total time exercised 15 hours 41 minutes

Diet
Average caloric intake per day 1979
Average water intake per day 167.2 oz.
Average net carb intake per day 26

Don
Re: Weight loss support group #159214 04/15/07 12:36 PM
ChatKat... Offline
cruiser
cruiser
You Go, Don!

Yesterday I went to a party requiring a change of jewelery. The original wedding ring that Frank gave me had engraving on the inside. I never resized it since I did not want to erase the engraving and he bought me a new ring for our 3rd anniversary. I thought I see how far off the fit was - and it wasn't off! I can wear it again! :D

VOYAGER:
MC to FLL 11/07
MC/Dover 6/06
MARINER:
BCN / Ven 10/11
Alaska 2001|2006
Panama Canal 2003
NAV
Caribbean 11/06
PG 5/05
OCEANIA
Nautica |Ist/Athens 6/07
Regatta|Baltics 6/08
Re: Weight loss support group #159215 04/16/07 07:40 AM
Wandra Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Oh you guys are both doing so great! I'm just holding my own. Too tired and overworked to exercise, I know, I know. I will feel better when it gets more regular!

Wendy
------
Booked: Uniworld Egypt, 2015
Tauck Amsterdam to Budapest, 2016
Paul Gauguin, Societies & Tuamotus 2016
Re: Weight loss support group #159216 04/16/07 08:01 AM
Ms Understood Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Hi! I am back from my short little cruise which was great btw. I think I will post a short review because I really did enjoy the Disney experience. But although I haven't gone to weigh in yet (flight was delayed, we didn't get home till 2 am instead of 9pm and had to get to work)I had gone to my regular doctor last week for a physical and the results from the lab work were in my mail box. My #s were so great I can't get over it. My cholesterol is way down , (good cholesterol up, bad down)There is no question is there, that other then quitting smoking there is nothing healthier you can do for yourself than lose weight! Maybe we can't live forever but we certainly can give it our best shot by taking care of the things that are within our control.

Jewelry size is a great little marker along the way, congrats Kathy. And Don, you just take my breath away with all that effort!
--------------
Helen

Re: Weight loss support group #159217 04/16/07 10:43 AM
cruisinsince75 Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Helen, congratulations on some great numbers. I need to get into see the doctor as well for a physical and have all my blood work done and that other thing they do to guys my age!

Kathy, I know what you mean about the jewelry. My ring actually moves on my finger now instead of being permanently affixed. Also my watch slides all the way around my wrist. I am going to have to have both resized shortly.

Speaking of which I am taking my (used to be tight) pants in this week to have them taken in. I am having difficulty keeping my pants up and I don't think dropping my drawers in front of my buyers is a good selling technique! :eek:

Thanks Wendy! It is definately work. The hardest part is always the getting started. You will get there when it is time. BTW, what has the weather been like up there?

Today was weigh in and I am down another 3 lbs this week and extremely pumped up. So now the total over the past 8 months is 76 lbs (about 8" in my waist) and since New Years Day I have lost 48 lbs (about 5" in my waist).

This week I adjust my diet some more and add in five more carbs (so I will now be up to 30 net carbs) and I also start adding in some additional dairy products. This morning I added 1/2 cup of cottage cheese with some strawberry slices to my usual breakfast. Tomorrow morning I am planning on having some low carb yogurt, to which I will add some rasberries.

Don
Re: Weight loss support group #159218 04/16/07 12:15 PM
Wandra Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Thanks for the pep talk Don! Weather is blustery and rainy here. We missed the several inches of snow that fell east of here. Since it's a "nor'easter", we're just getting the backdraft. It's darned cold still, however, and depressing. No sign of spring yet, really.

Wendy
------
Booked: Uniworld Egypt, 2015
Tauck Amsterdam to Budapest, 2016
Paul Gauguin, Societies & Tuamotus 2016
Re: Weight loss support group #159219 04/16/07 12:33 PM
cruisinsince75 Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Wendy, I am sure that Spring will be there shortly and then you will have perfect weather. Come June we will wish we were there instead of here in the sweltering Texas heat!

Don
Re: Weight loss support group #159220 04/16/07 12:39 PM
ChatKat... Offline
cruiser
cruiser
I learned that all this stuff happens only when you are ready for it to.

VOYAGER:
MC to FLL 11/07
MC/Dover 6/06
MARINER:
BCN / Ven 10/11
Alaska 2001|2006
Panama Canal 2003
NAV
Caribbean 11/06
PG 5/05
OCEANIA
Nautica |Ist/Athens 6/07
Regatta|Baltics 6/08
Re: Weight loss support group #159221 04/18/07 07:02 AM
cruisinsince75 Offline
cruiser
cruiser
It felt so good this morning to put on some pants that were 12" smaller in the waist than the ones that I was wearing in August! However, they do have an elastic expander that stretched out a bit (so that I can wear them longer), so in actuality it is really more like 9-10" smaller, but still they were pants that were 6 sizes smaller!

Don
Re: Weight loss support group #159222 04/18/07 09:57 AM
ChatKat... Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Whoo Hoo Don! Doesn't that feel really good, Mr. Gonnabeskinny?

VOYAGER:
MC to FLL 11/07
MC/Dover 6/06
MARINER:
BCN / Ven 10/11
Alaska 2001|2006
Panama Canal 2003
NAV
Caribbean 11/06
PG 5/05
OCEANIA
Nautica |Ist/Athens 6/07
Regatta|Baltics 6/08
Re: Weight loss support group #159223 04/18/07 10:30 AM
Ms Understood Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Yikes, SIX sizes!Fantastic Don.

Re: Weight loss support group #159224 04/18/07 11:00 AM
cruisinsince75 Offline
cruiser
cruiser
How about a before, a during, and a closer to my current weight picture.

This very embarassing picture was taken over a year ago during one of our Murder Mysteries. I was Captain Ken Garu (a perfect name, since I looked a lot like Cpt. Kangaroo in the picture) This was right about at the weight that I was at when I started in August.
[Linked Image]

This one was taken just onboard SAND, which was about 40 pounds ago.
[Linked Image]

This picture is closer to my current weight.
[Linked Image]

Don
Re: Weight loss support group #159225 04/19/07 06:34 AM
juicyjuju Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Don, you look fantastic! Seeing you on SAND brought back fond memories of dinners with you and Diana. Say hi to Diana for me!
I'm leaving in three days for Athens and 18 days of Seabourn. It can't come quick enough!

Julie
Re: Weight loss support group #159226 04/19/07 06:46 AM
ITravelNow Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Don...as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words - WOW what a transformation. Keep it up!

You must be feeling so much better too - of course your fitpoints reflect that!

Nice job,

Margo
Re: Weight loss support group #159227 04/19/07 06:51 AM
Sue&TomInGeorgia Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Don you look so great - you have to give yourself a BIG pat on the back because it takes a lot of stamina and determination to accomplish what you have!

I am bad at just trying to take of the last 10 pounds and here you are making such big strides shedding those inches and lbs!

WAY TO GO!!!!! cheer

Sue
Re: Weight loss support group #159228 04/19/07 06:58 AM
Betty K Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Good goin' [Linked Image] Don!!!!!
You look MAH...VA...LOUS!!!!!!!
cheer

Betty

[Linked Image from i4.photobucket.com]
Re: Weight loss support group #159229 04/19/07 07:00 AM
joannapv Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Congrats Don - you look great - :app: :app: :app:

Joanna
Re: Weight loss support group #159230 04/19/07 07:03 AM
adrenn Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Fantastic progress, Don! Kudos to you. Now the next stage .. keeping it off. The longer you keep the weight off, the easier it is. Stay the course, my friend, stay the course.

Cheers, Anne

Re: Weight loss support group #159231 04/19/07 09:22 AM
A
AndreaN Offline
cruiser
cruiser
A
Don - you look great!!! Congratulations!! :app: I bet you feel simply fantastic too.

Re: Weight loss support group #159232 04/19/07 09:41 AM
ITravelNow Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Andrea....I think he slimly fantastic!

Margo
Re: Weight loss support group #159233 04/19/07 10:03 AM
A
AndreaN Offline
cruiser
cruiser
A