Luxury Cruise Talk Logo

Keene Luxury Travel
800-856-1155 · 972-701-9292
Join Our Mailing List · Email us

Who's Online Now
7 registered members (Davefr, Yallcruise, Ralph W., Ngaire, DennisK, Jim B, 1 invisible), 1,018 guests
Newest Members
DennisK, SuprDave, BarbD, johnsmithpmt, Juliehoover(41381 Registered Users)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
insurance #108649 07/15/04 02:41 PM
J
Jeanine Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
J
My husband and I will be going on our first cruise in June, the PG What are your thoughts about insurance? Does it cover you if you cancel because of another family members illness etc.?

Re: insurance #108650 07/16/04 03:51 AM
ColonelWes Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Jeanine, Good to see your first post..and excellent question, am sure the experienced LCT'rs
can answer.

Colonel

Re: insurance #108651 07/16/04 06:55 AM
jhp Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Jeanine, I think you will get a quicker response of you post this question on the "cruise talk" thread. It is a good question, and I'd like to know the answer as well. By the way, welcome to LCT!

Re: insurance #108652 07/16/04 07:00 AM
jhp Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Here's what Ngaire's info on Radisson's insurance says:
Cancellation / Trip Interruption: In the event You are prevented from taking Your Cruise because:

You, a Traveling Companion, or an Immediate Family member suffers an Injury, Sickness, or death

Re: insurance #108653 07/16/04 03:43 PM
G
Gail&Rich Offline
cruiser
cruiser
G
We had the same dilema before taking our first cruise and fortunately we decided to purchase the travel insurance through Radisson. Unfortunately, two days before we were to leave on our PG vacation we had a death in the immediate family. After providing proof to the insurance company we were reimbursed our expenses less the cost of the travel insurance policy. In our opinion "Don't Leave Home Without It "!!

Re: insurance #108654 07/16/04 03:54 PM
jhp Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Gail&Rich: Thank you for posting on this topic. Did you get to take a cruise after that? We are looking for more members to tell us their experiences!

Re: insurance #108655 07/16/04 05:41 PM
KarenS Offline
Jeanine, would you like me to move this message to the main forum so you can get more answers?

Karen

Live long and prosper
Re: insurance #108656 07/17/04 10:15 AM
G
Gail&Rich Offline
cruiser
cruiser
G
jhp....Radisson credited the port charges back to our credit card within 24 hours of notification. The insurance company reimbursed us for the cruise and the air expense within six weeks after we provided documents that they required. We are quite satisfied with Radisson's insurance.

One week after our cancellation we spoke with our travel agent ( Ngaire Keene ) to rebook us on the PG in April. Through her superb effort she worked with Radisson to rebook us on the PG in a short period of time. It was because of Ngaire's persistant efforts that it all worked out. This caliber of travel agent can work wonders! We can't thank her enough.
Gail and Rich

Re: insurance #108657 07/19/04 04:59 PM
Ngaire Online
cruiser
cruiser
All insurances cover you for a family illness but there are differences between Radisson insurance and many of the other policies. One is not better than the other they are just all different so it depends on your situation.

Examples of the key differences between Radisson and Travelex.

Radisson covers all your family members for pre-existing health problems. The travellers are covered for health problems EXCEPT you are not covered for any condition that first manifests itself OR for a pre-existing condition that need new treatment for the 60 days immediately preceeding the purchase of the insurance. You normally buy RSSC insurance at the time of final payment. You can buy it earlier if you prefer.
No age difference, 20 or 90 same premium. 7% of the cruise fare.

Travlex insurance covers you and your family for ALL pre-existing conditions. However, you must purchase the insurance within 21 days of depositing your cruise. If you dont purchase it within that time frame NO one is covered for pre-existing conditions. AGE banding, the younger you are the more likely that travelex will be cheaper. Children travelling with adults are covered free.

Most of the other coverages are basically the same, trip interruption, lost baggage etc. The main reason people buy the insurance is for cancellation. Although just last week I know of two people who missed the ship so they were pleased to have those additional coverages.

Also the insurance is NON TRANSFERABLE and NON REFUNDABLE.

Hope that helps.

Re: insurance #108658 07/21/04 12:45 PM
J
Jeanine Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
J
Thanks Ngaire, that really did help!! FYI I am very pleased to have decided to work with Susan Walsh!! She has been very helpful guiding me thru this whole cruise decision making process. Jeanine

Re: insurance #108659 07/21/04 01:09 PM
petlover Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Welcome Jeanine! I sure enjoyed reading your introduction. I too have gone through much confusion with various insurance options. It sure can be confusing. I also agree, I think all of Ngaire's staff is super to work with!

Marcie

Re: insurance #108660 07/21/04 04:24 PM
JDreyfuss Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Jeanine; I have received a full refund when last minute back surgery was required. I always buy the coverage and usually the cruise lines policy.

I buy the coverage as soon as I know that my wife and myself have had 60 days without a doctors visit (see Ngaire's pre-existing condition exclusion for travelers, above). That way we know that (1) there will not be an opportunity for a pre-existing condition exclusion, and (2) that if an illness occurs
(or even reccurs) that the 60 "clean" period makes us "safe".

Of course, there is the risk that if you decide to cancel for non-medical reasons, prior to the deposit cancellation date or the final payment date, you will have lost the cost of the insurance paid early.

To me it's a good trade off to eliminate the pre-existing condition exclusion.

Jody
Re: insurance #108661 07/25/04 06:23 AM
Claudia Offline
cruiser
cruiser
I have read over and over never to purchase the cruiselines own policy - just incase something happens to the cruiseline ( not you)....
in that event you are completely out of luck....
as was the case a few years back with Renaissance cruises when they went BK

thoughts anyone?

Re: insurance #108662 07/25/04 05:20 PM
Ngaire Online
cruiser
cruiser
Radisson's insurance is THIRD PARTY, they use BERKLY CARE. So it is the same as buying Travelex or Travel guard or any of the others. They are completely separate companies. If Radisson went bankrupt it would not affect Berkley Care nor anyone who was covered with Berkley Care. However, Berkely Care does not cover bankruptcy anyway.

When Renaissance went bankrupt people got there money back from their credit cards very few had insurance companies that covered bankruptcy. So all those Renaissance passengers who used a credit card to pay for their cruise did get their money back if they claimed.

I had booked a cruise through a tour operator to the Galapagos the operator went bankrupt, I claimed on my AMX card and was refunded every penny.

Some insurances now offer bankruptcy coverage as it is the new thing to offer but you will be able to recover any payments from the credit card you used if a cruise line goes under.

The new thing I have seen a lot recently "be sure to buy insurance with terrorist coverage". Have you read the clauses. So limiting quite frankly they are a joke.

Moderated by  KarenS 

Keene Luxury Travel Offers