Luxury Cruise Talk Logo

Keene Luxury Travel
800-856-1155 · 972-701-9292
Join Our Mailing List · Email us

Who's Online Now
7 registered members (Yallcruise, Ralph W., Ngaire, Davefr, DennisK, Jim B, 1 invisible), 816 guests
Newest Members
DennisK, SuprDave, BarbD, johnsmithpmt, Juliehoover(41381 Registered Users)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
? on excursions for PG #108557 02/12/06 10:21 AM
msheiny Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
I am so upset because I cant pull up any of the excursion descriptions. Will these come with the documents? I dont see why they wouldnt put those on there website??

So maybe you can help me.
1. Is raita known for anything? like great snorkeling or hiking? Any recommended excursions or activities there?

2. In BB what is the difference between the waverunner island tour and the waverunner ATV combo? Is the first waverunner per person?
What is the difference of LE TRUCK and off road adventure?

3. Has anyone done the coral preservation or land safari and snorkelling?

4. Has anyone ever rented a car in Moorea and just explored on your own?? Was this easy?

I hope you are not getting tired of answering all my ?'s!!!!

P.s- Which island would be the best for snorkelling?

thanks in advance!!!

Re: ? on excursions for PG #108558 02/12/06 10:33 AM
KarenS Offline
Melissa, I just looked at the RSSC site and the excursions aren't even listed for next weeks cruise! That is unusual, you can usually look at the description of your excursions well before your sailing.

Karen

Live long and prosper
Re: ? on excursions for PG #108559 02/12/06 12:46 PM
ChatKat... Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Le Truck is a bus type of transportation. I didn't do any of the waverunner excursions. I did do a tour of Bora Bora by Le Truck and in Raiatea did the island tour which was by regular bus. There was not a lot to do on Raiatea, but the tour was nice, we went to a botanical garden, a church and circled the island. The tour guide was from California and had married a Tahitian and talked about the differences in culture.

VOYAGER:
MC to FLL 11/07
MC/Dover 6/06
MARINER:
BCN / Ven 10/11
Alaska 2001|2006
Panama Canal 2003
NAV
Caribbean 11/06
Bermuda|New Eng/Canada 6/04
PG 5/05
OCEANIA
Nautica |Ist/Athens 6/07
Regatta|Baltics 6/08
Riviera 2013 Crossing -Istanbul to Miami
Re: ? on excursions for PG #108560 02/12/06 01:25 PM
jhp Offline
cruiser
cruiser
I went to RSSC site and went to Melissa's cruise and they were all there.

Editing to answer some of her questions. The BB waverunner price for 2 people on one waverunner. Prices have really gone up since I was there. On my excursion, we stopped at an islet and walked from the leeward side over to the other side (bugs, biting like crazy, bring DEET)where the shoreline had waves and was rock, much different, and then had refreshments and continued on for another stop out in the middle of the water for pictures. Not sure the ATV/combo. That sure is pricey.

I don't think the Lagoonarium excursion is available any longer. Since the Cousteaus got involved, RSSC they no longer offers activities that involve dolphins in captivity, as I remember.

Le Truck is just a very basic sort of transportation. You could probably google it and see pictures. People often just rent a car and go around Moorea on their own, but you cannot go offroad. Not shore was the coral preservation/land safari and snorkeling thing is, where is it?

I have no idea what Raiatea is "known" for. I did the canoe ride and trip into the volcano. It was mainly interesting for what I learned about the many ways they use all the plants in daily life.

You have so many choices!

Re: ? on excursions for PG #108561 02/12/06 01:40 PM
KarenS Offline
Olivia, are you sure? I could see all the excursions listed but when I clicked on them for more info, I got the "Selection of shore excursions for this port are being finalized" message.

Karen

Live long and prosper
Re: ? on excursions for PG #108562 02/12/06 01:49 PM
msheiny Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
Luke was kind enough to email me the descriptions of the tours. I could see them on my cruises too, but no descriptions.
So far we booked the waverunners for the first day in BB and then the 2nd day we booked the land and sea safari.
Has anyone done either of these??

Re: ? on excursions for PG #108563 02/12/06 01:50 PM
jhp Offline
cruiser
cruiser
I was just there! It is that way for Papeete, but if you click and scroll down and pick out each port, they are there, with pricing.Try this an see if it works.
http://www.rssc.com/voyage/details.jsp?code=PAU060311&page=ports&portcode=RAI03122006

Melissa, when you click on each excursion, you should get a pop-up with description and pricing. I don't see land and sea safari in BB~

Re: ? on excursions for PG #108564 02/12/06 01:54 PM
KarenS Offline
Well that explains it! I was only checking Papeete and wasn't looking any further!

Karen

Live long and prosper
Re: ? on excursions for PG #108565 02/12/06 02:04 PM
msheiny Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
I tried your link and when i click it still doesnt pop up with a description. Weird....
The land and sea safari is the last excursion listed on the second day in BB. Sounds fun.

Re: ? on excursions for PG #108566 02/12/06 02:08 PM
KarenS Offline
Melissa, are you using a pop up stopper? If so, try allowing pop ups for the Radisson site and see if that helps.

Karen

Live long and prosper
Re: ? on excursions for PG #108567 02/12/06 03:08 PM
jhp Offline
cruiser
cruiser
That used to happen to me, but it was opening up behind whatever window I was using. Of course, at the time I didn't know what a pop up stopper was. I am getting it even with pop-ups blocked.

Melissa, good choice for the second day! You will get 2 of the 3-4 viewpoints that are on the one that is just 4x4, with a bonus of snorkeling at a specially selected place. As I remember, snorkeling on the BB motu was not great when I was there, as currents were running. My son's girlfriend was kayaking, and she literally had to drag the thing back to where she started, couldn't paddle fast enough against the currents to get back to where they keep the boats.

Re: ? on excursions for PG #108568 02/12/06 04:04 PM
BillinMN Offline
cruiser
cruiser
I think renting a car for a day on either Bora Bora or Moorea is a great idea. It is fairly easy either place. We rented on Bora Bora - there was a rental site right near where the boat drops you off. In Moorea, I remember people right where the tenders drop you off to rent cars from. Be prepared to spend around $60+ for the rental.

Bill

Paul Gauguin 3/06
Navigator 11/04 (Caribbean)
Paul Gauguin 2/04
Mariner 7/03 (Alaska)
Re: ? on excursions for PG #108569 02/12/06 09:39 PM
ChatKat... Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Olivia,

The Lagoonarium is not the Swimming with Dolphins excursion, which was discontinued. We did the Lagoonarium in May on PIP (with Marc and Arlene)

VOYAGER:
MC to FLL 11/07
MC/Dover 6/06
MARINER:
BCN / Ven 10/11
Alaska 2001|2006
Panama Canal 2003
NAV
Caribbean 11/06
Bermuda|New Eng/Canada 6/04
PG 5/05
OCEANIA
Nautica |Ist/Athens 6/07
Regatta|Baltics 6/08
Riviera 2013 Crossing -Istanbul to Miami
Re: ? on excursions for PG #108570 02/13/06 04:15 AM
Wandra Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Yes, we did the Coral Preservation trip. We loved it. There were only about 8 of us, so it was very personal.

The first part was a bit mundane, Denis, the marine biologist took us out into the channel beside a motu to pick up several pieces of damaged or sick coral. This is deep-water snorkelling, so if you are not comfortable in deep water, you could stay in the boat.

Then we went to back to the BB Pearl hotel, to their coral hospital. All this time, Denis is telling you about coral, about the environmental problems on Bora Bora, very interesting. The time at the hotel is spent in waist-deep water. Under the over-water walkways they have built coral colonies, and special pens for coral recovery. The bottom line is that there are lots of fish who like this coral, so the fish are great. So you don't get to see alot of spectacular coral, but you learn a tremendous amount about it, see lots of fish, and it's for a good cause.

The day we were there it was windy, so it was possible to get chilled, since you are in the water for quite a long time. Good to take a dry t-shirt if you tend to get cold. Very pretty hotel, by the way.

Wendy
------
Booked: Uniworld Egypt, 2015
Tauck Amsterdam to Budapest, 2016
Paul Gauguin, Societies & Tuamotus 2016
Re: ? on excursions for PG #108571 02/13/06 04:26 AM
Wandra Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Hi msheiny, to answer some of your other questions.

Yes, we rented a car on Moorea. It was no problem. We arranged it on the ship, but when we got to the dock, the representative of the company (forget which), was not yet there. So we took a car from another vendor. It was the local company (the name escapes me right now). The car we got was a bit of a clunker, but completely adequate. Just remember that if you need an automatic transmission, it gets much harder, and I would definitely have one reserved in advance.

Raiatea is beautiful, it's very untouristy, it's known for yachting mostly, I think. And pot--yes there is lots of marijuana on the islands, and we saw deals being made while we were on the 4x4 portion of the Faaroa river and land exploration.

The circle island trip also has a very nice episode of excellent snorkelling (deep water), but you need to sit back and enjoy the boat trip around the entire island.

Wendy
------
Re: ? on excursions for PG #108572 02/13/06 05:04 AM
seadog Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Melissa

We were fortunate to have done a back-to-back on the PG. The first Sunday in Raiatea we did the Faaroa River and Island Exploration. It was very nice. The land part included the "Marae Taputapuatea, the sacred site from where the ancient Polynesians departed, to discover Hawaii, New Zealand and Easter Island - the other islands which now form the famous 'Polynesian Triangle'. " I thought this would be our only chance to see an ancient site on the trip, so that was the main reason we booked this excursion. As it turned out, we added some excursions the second week and saw more. But, this marae on Raiatea was very interesting. The canoe part of the trip was good, too. The second week, we went on a scuba dive in the afternoon and surfaced to a huge double rainbow! I heard there was some good snorkeling there, but don't have any specific info.

The snorkeling on the Bora Bora motu can be nice. There is a small coral formation near where the beacher lands (the ship tender that loads and unloads right on the beach). The current was a bit swift the second week but there really wasn't much of one at all the first week. So, it depends. And, does your cruise include Motu Mahana? Good snorkeling there.

We rented from Avis ($60 for 4 hours, standard transmission) on Moorea on Friday of the second week. (Made the reservation when there the first week.) You can either drive yourself up to Belvedere or go there on an excursion. The Trails of the Ancients Trek goes there. So, if you are doing that one day, I wouldn't bother renting a car the other day. If you do, however, you can ask for a box lunch to take from the ship.

Re: ? on excursions for PG #108573 02/25/06 04:41 PM
J
JanR Offline
cruiser
cruiser
J

1. Is raita known for anything? like great snorkeling or hiking? Any recommended excursions or activities there?

2. In BB what is the difference between the waverunner island tour and the waverunner ATV combo? Is the first waverunner per person?
What is the difference of LE TRUCK and off road adventure?

P.s- Which island would be the best for snorkelling?

thanks in advance!!! [/QB]
Can't really address the other excursions, however we did the Bora Bora Waverunner and would recommend it to anyone. It was a blast!!!

AS for the price, as already answered, it is priced per couple. Is it expensive??? Maybe, but we felt that afterwards it was worth the money...(Not much off the ship is inexpensive, by the way)

As for snorkling, we didn't do any of the snorkling excursions as we were getting our SCUBA certification instead. However, we did snorkle at both the Motu Mohanna and Motu (Bora Bora) sites. The Bora Bora site is a better site. However, DO NOT MISS THE MOTU MOHANNA!!! Bring a couple of cheap ($2-3) blow-up mattresses and you will experience total relaxation. There is nothing like a big PG-style BBQ followed by basking in the sun floating in the water while a bartender is pouring you your next rum-and-coke.

Have a great time.

Jan

RSSC-PG: 2 Laps of Tahiti (B2B)2005
RSSC-Voyager: Barcelona-Rome 2007
NCL-Spirit: NY-Bahamas-NY 2008

Re: ? on excursions for PG #108574 02/27/06 05:17 AM
Dreps Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Returned home last night from Tahiti. Will post a long report and pictures eventually. The Classic Sailing tour was terrific in Raiatea if you're interesting in sailing. Only about 6 of us, and anyone who wanted had a chance to sail. The Lagoon Sail & Swim by Catamaran was terrible in Bora Bora--we received partial refunds. We had a much better time snorkeling in 2003 when we were on the Ray and Shark feeding, which I think is similar to the Ray Ballet that is now offered. Also the Land and Snorkeling excursion on Bora Bora, which we also did in 2003, was very good. This time, we also enjoyed the Sunset Sail by Catamaran in Bora Bora, even though we didn't have much of a sunset. The photo adventure in Moorea was great, but very hot. Finally, we had great luck on the Dolphin Watching Expedition. Saw about 75 dolphin playing at the last site we tried. I think I've got some great pictures from it, including one of the spinning dolphins in mid-air.

Re: ? on excursions for PG #108575 02/27/06 06:54 AM
Luke Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Thanks for your note ... there are several of us on the March 11 sailing and we (along with EVERYONE else on this board) are curious to hear your impressions of the PG's recent dry dock work.

Any quick notes would be appreciated, even before your complete review.

Thanks.

Luke

Luke
Re: ? on excursions for PG #108576 02/27/06 07:09 AM
BillinMN Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Welcome home Dreps. We are leaving in 7 days for FP (March 11 cruise along w/Luke and Melissa) and would love to get any other notes before then!!

Bill

Paul Gauguin 3/06
Navigator 11/04 (Caribbean)
Paul Gauguin 2/04
Mariner 7/03 (Alaska)
Re: ? on excursions for PG #108577 02/27/06 12:56 PM
Wandra Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Dreps, my husband David took the Classic Sailing tour on Raiatea last June, and loved it, got to sail the ship as you said. I'm not a sailor, I like the water, so I went snorkelling instead.

Wendy
------
Re: ? on excursions for PG #108578 02/28/06 03:54 PM
flyerdreamer Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Hmm, how can I bribe those of you going in March to befriend the inhabitants of #7003 so you can take a peek at my cabin-to-be? :) It's brand new, and I (and a few others who've booked it) am curious about impressions re: its location, balcony size, etc.

Oh, you all are going to have such a fabulous time! Wish I were going with you! June seems so far away!

~Sue

RCCL: Radiance of the Seas (7-day Alaska) 8/04
Princess: Golden Princess (10-day Great Britain) 6/05
Regent: Paul Gauguin (10-day Tahiti) 6/06
RCCL: Brilliance of the Seas (12-day Mediterranean, CC group cruise) 6/07
Re: ? on excursions for PG #108579 02/28/06 04:34 PM
cindyr Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Sue, I can tell you that as you know it is at the back of the ship, has a really, really nice balcony!!! Larger than ours (731), I HEARD that the cabins are a bit smaller, but the large balcony makes up for it. We LOVE the balcony, so for us it would be fine, we spend so much time out there. It is in sort of an isolated little hallway, as it used to be a lounge. It is sort of like in a hotel where the suites are in a seperate litte hallway. very nice, you will like it. We were on the ship right after the dry dock, and couldn't get in, as the cabins were full. Some staff were in them and one of the lecture guys was in for a few nights. I wish I could tell you more. June will be here before you know it!!!!

Cindy
Re: ? on excursions for PG #108580 02/28/06 06:00 PM
flyerdreamer Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Hi Cindy!

7003 is a weird animal--check out the deck plan for 7--it's up front, right next to the bridge, created I think out of a former crew lounge.

http://www.rssc.com/ships/decks.jsp?code=PAU&deckcode=7

Oh, wanted to thank you for the vanilla tips! I am definitely bringing home some based on what you and everyone here has said. I can smell it now...

~Sue

Re: ? on excursions for PG #108581 02/28/06 06:20 PM
cindyr Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Oh, how lame am I . Yes, it is in front, I said back. You wouldn't know I was on that ship for 18 days!!!!!!. I think it used to be a cigar bar???? Not sure as this was my first time aboard. You won't be sorry about the vanilla. I made creme brulee this weekend too, you won't believe it. Was it granny Clampett that rubbed vanilla behind her ears?? Oh, Sue you probably don't even KNOW about the Beverly Hillbillys!!!! Well, suffice to say these beans are this good, and the ladies selling them at the BIG market are so sweet. Also, I would hit that right after you board, it is about a block, and buy a FABULOUS floral arrangement for your room for about $15.00!

Cindy
Re: ? on excursions for PG #108582 02/28/06 07:37 PM
Luke Offline
cruiser
cruiser
I read somewhere that the Papeete market closes at noon on Saturdays (when the PG is in Papeete for the 7-day cruises). Does anyone have recent information about this? Thanks in advance.

Luke

Luke
Re: ? on excursions for PG #108583 03/01/06 09:07 AM
Wandra Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Yes, it closes noon-ish. That's not recent info, but long-time info which I'm sure is still true.

Wendy
------
Re: ? on excursions for PG #108584 03/01/06 10:22 AM
Luke Offline
cruiser
cruiser
The noon closing makes it tough to shop BEFORE the 7-day sailing, but perfect for the return to Papeete.

Luke

Luke
Re: ? on excursions for PG #108585 03/01/06 10:25 AM
Sundvl Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Hi, Luke,
The market does close noo-ish as Wendy said. We went to the market after we disembarked and settled in our day room at the Radisson (Jan 06). Many of the stalls were covered but a few remained open till about 1:30-2:00 (very few). We were able to get vanilla beans, extract, and a few more souvenirs. The market has an upstairs area too.
Used the fresh beans to make homemade vanilla ice cream - yummy! They suggested I put the used pods in sugar for future use.

Msheiny,
On Raitea we did the River and 4x4 excursion. it was great. We got soaked with a cloud burst while in the jeep. It was fun & damp! Don't forget insect repellant - they were hungry.

BoraBora - the waverunner around the island was one of our favorite excursions. Make sure you trade spots so that you both can experience the fun.

Moorea - we did AquaBlue & it was the highlight of our trip. Since we don't scuba, this allowed us to see things from a different perspective. Booked through the ship. They also took video and photos (available for purchase) but a great souvenir. Highly recommend.

Moorea - We rented a car for 1/2 a day and drove up to Belevedere for terrific views. The AC wasn't working so it was an adventure. No need to pre-book, there are different vendors there - we used Eurocar since they had a 1/2 price.

Have a great time!
Miriam

Miriam
Re: ? on excursions for PG #108586 03/02/06 06:03 AM
flyerdreamer Offline
cruiser
cruiser
"Oh, Sue you probably don't even KNOW about the Beverly Hillbillys!!!!"

How could I fergit 'em? I reckon Jethro and Ellie Mae have grandchillen by now. :)

Hey, Cindy, were you the one posting on the other board offering a review for PG? I answered, not realizing it might be you. If, so, just ignore. I read and loved your review you posted over here.

Love all the discussion on the vanilla. i'm wearing my vanilla body spray as we speak!

~Sue

Re: ? on excursions for PG #108587 03/02/06 06:43 AM
cindyr Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Sue, yes it was me. Candagal (Pat) was really hot for a review. I'm surprised as I THINK she used to post here.........maybe I'm wrong. I should look I guess.

Cindy
Re: ? on excursions for PG #108588 03/03/06 05:13 AM
Wandra Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Canadagal definitely still posts here--I've been chatting with her in the off-topic thread "Toronto LCTers". She's also been asking PG questions over at CC.

Wendy
------
Re: ? on excursions for PG #108589 03/03/06 05:27 AM
cindyr Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Oh, ok, i responded to her inquiry over there, she must not have seen my PG stuff over here. Glad I got it to her.

Cindy
Re: ? on excursions for PG #108590 03/03/06 06:44 AM
flyerdreamer Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Cindy, I think it was because you looked and sounded so different over there that I thought you were someone else! :) Dreps here kindly insisted you were you but I remained skeptical!

I just cooked up an idea about a romantic comedy about a PG butler and a woman in jeopardy...except he's not really a butler Mwahaha. Anyway, now my cruise can be tax deductible, right? :) Truly, though, it's great fun researching a novel because you can learn and see all sorts of things not always visible to the public.

~Sue

Moderated by  KarenS 

Keene Luxury Travel Offers